Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

93boomer

Premium Member
It had been a long day ~ rain, crowds, selfish people, and an excessive delay in experiencing an attraction which made us sick. Once back in our room we thought it would be best to grab dinner at Capt. Cook’s and make it an early night.

The sprinkling on our walk over nixed our plan to dine al fresco.

But the table we got inside was pretty sweet.

View attachment 604868

I ordered one of the special 50th offerings, “Walt’s Favorite 1958 Chili” ~ classic chili with beef, chili pepper, pink beans and a hint of Magic served with shredded cheese and crackers.

View attachment 604869

Well it must have been that “hint of Magic” because this chili was very, very good. And for $4.99, a very good value.

Woody went with the Pan Asian Noodles and Vegetables, with added chicken. It’s one of his go-to’s.

View attachment 604870

Since the rain had stopped we took a walk through the resort grounds before retiring for the evening.
It’s your special seat!!❤️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, October 26

A good night’s sleep was exactly what we needed. I made it to 7 am, which is late for me. Woody made the breakfast run (Mickey waffles) so I could continue lounging.

Originally we had a park pass for DHS for today. But we were satisfied with what we accomplished on Saturday, so I switched our reservation. Doing so enabled me to arrange a meet up with another Magician.

Woody had some work email to get through first so we didn’t head out until around 11 am.

A beautiful morning for a ferry ride.

A0106E0E-3941-4035-B52F-1842D94EFC83.jpeg

31EF33FC-D207-461D-A99D-5C27A5651522.jpeg

We were to meet my friend outside the train tunnel.

A2523600-351D-4EB0-9726-AAFC5AE42DD2.jpeg

This meet was supposed to occur back in April but we never could make it happen. I’m happy our last-minute trip coincided with her birthday!

Me and my new buddy, @lindawdw.

5903C970-9C4B-4E14-B67B-EBB2AFF707D9.jpeg

We stood there and chatted for a long time (yes, our hubbies were part of the conversation too!) Eventually we parted so they could carry on with their plans and we could grab lunch in Liberty Square.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I picked Columbia Harbor House for two reasons:
1. The yummy chicken strips
2. The view of Fantasyland

As we entered the restaurant I couldn’t help but think of how the line for Peter Pan wound all through it when 6 ft. physical distancing was in place. I’m so glad CHH is back to being a restaurant and is no longer a queue!

What we ordered:

23208F98-2BD0-4B3C-B833-3C676C8BC933.png

What we got:

60AB5672-F454-4A19-8CD0-39FD7DC4FB01.jpeg

Notice anything?

Those are NOT the strips we ordered. Those are nuggets. Nuggets are a lesser fried chicken, IMO. This felt like a bait and switch.

Now before someone comments about supply chain issues, let me say WDW features chicken nuggets at other locations with the correct picture of nuggets in the app….therefore the chicken strips picture should have been replaced by a nuggets picture. It would have made a difference in my meal choice.

Rant over.

At least I got the view I wanted.

3312B16C-F2AF-4F3D-8229-93A69220BD94.jpeg

Laurenciaa

Thankfully the rain had stopped when we walked over to the new area of France. Our BG hadn’t been called but we decided hang out near the attraction and wait.

View attachment 604790

View attachment 604791

It is a quaint alcove, though missing a lot of the elaborate detailing found in original World Showcase countries. It’s easy to spot cut corners. But it was new and unfamiliar so we didn’t mind waiting.

View attachment 604793

The left entrance is for those who purchase Individual Lightning Lane. (I love that the abbreviation for this is ILL, because it makes me ILL to pay a surcharge for an attraction!) The right entrance is for guests with boarding groups. There is no option to ride standby.

About 15 minutes later our group was finally called. I didn’t anticipate having to wait in a long line once our group was called, yet here we were.

View attachment 604792

It’s hard to describe the interior part of the queue. The beginning was a whole lot of nothing….except red wallpaper. And narrow passages. After 25 minutes in line we were happy to see something (I believe @sheriffwoody referred to it as the rooftop reveal.)

View attachment 604794

The artist studio is right before the load area. I’m not sure where the merge with ILL guests occurs, but it would be a shame if they miss it. It’s cool.

View attachment 604795

View attachment 604796

The load area is dark and I was juggling 3D glasses so no pics. Each rat vehicle has two rows and Woody and I sat in front. The second row is elevated so all guests have a decent view of the giant screens.

Ahh, the screens. I knew Ratatouille was a screen-based attraction but I was hoping that it wouldn’t aggravate my motion sensitivity. (I can ride MMRR without any issues.)

I think I lasted 20 seconds before needing to shut my eyes. The 3D effects, coupled with the quick motion, were too intense for my brain (the reason I typically skip Star Tours and Flight of Passage.) Every few moments I’d open my eyes to try again, but nope! I’m sure the attraction is adorable (the parts I saw were) but I. Just. Can’t. Do. It. The ride even affected Woody, who is not prone to motion sickness.

Ratatouille is a one two and done for me. (I told Em I would ride it with her.)
I only go on ratatouille when seated at the back and wearing no 3D glasses.. makes it enjoyable because you still get the story but as you say no nausea from the glasses..

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry your order wasn't up to par, but I am so glad CHH is open again...for food ;)
Agree, great to have CHH back again!

I very much agree with you about the difference between chicken nuggets and chicken strips. The taste is very different for the two and I also would have been peeved to receive what you received if I had seen the picture of the chicken strips.
understand you get me GIF by Plant Therapy

REgarding the chicken strips, Er nuggets: They look burnt or at least over done! I hope you could eat them. The state of some of the food at disney is really sad, it seems from many posts. At least you had an awesome view:)
They weren’t the best but at least edible.

erstwo

So sorry about your Ratatouille experience! Which rides cause motion sickness is such a wild phenomenon to me, I never would have guessed it caused motion sickness. I've only ridden Ratatouille in Paris - but the ride system seemed so similar to M&M Runaway Railway to me - I guess adding the 3D can alter the experience greatly. I'm glad you included it in your TR so I can warn my motion sickness prone family members who travel to WDW with us!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

After lunch I wanted to check out one of the special treats for the 50th. While I have had the original Dole Whip and a Dole Whip float ~ and enjoyed them both ~ neither are high on my priority list.

However I do adore POG (pineapple, orange, guava) juice and find coconut sorbet refreshing, so I was intrigued by a coconut Dole Whip float. I placed an order for a “Tropical Serenade” and we headed for Aloha Isle.

C7804065-C776-47A6-86EC-C25F709779C6.jpeg

Mobile ordering really paid off here. The regular line was really long and I had my float moments after pushing “I’m Here.”

39E793AE-69AC-4082-B9DA-967385FFA692.jpeg

The portion was very generous and I knew upon inspection I could never finish it all. (Woody doesn’t like coconut so I couldn’t share it with him.) I wished it came in a junior size so that most of it wouldn’t have ended up in the trash. The combination of coconut and POG was good but very sweet. (Original Dole Whip is more tart.) I disliked the pineapple upside down cake pop.

About 1/3 complete, I was done. I am glad I tried it though.

The sun was warm and the pool was calling me. Woody had no objection to leaving a crowded park. For him it’s never about the rides.

We spent the afternoon here, mostly in the water.

98327597-C756-49A5-90EF-A9CC5ED9C90D.jpeg

FEE08EAF-48CA-4E46-92B3-0F3E62F0D73C.jpeg

It wasn’t until the breeze began to blow cool and clouds began to form that we returned to our chairs. I discovered while reading that a tornado/thunderstorm front was due in central Florida on Thursday morning, when we were to depart for home.

Woody suggested spending another night so we wouldn’t have to drive home in bad weather.

I love Woody.

And I loved the front desk CM who was able to extend our stay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom