Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

amjt660

Premium Member
1637586838603.png

1) "I put my heart and soul into these costumes and you forget the gloves and wear brown cargo shorts and mint green shoes???

2) Cliff Clavin Fun Fact- " Well Norm you do know that it is illegal is 37 of the 50 States in these United States of America to have a combination of more than 5 patterns and/or colors in any one outfit."

pay up george wendt GIF

3) Gotta love the socks and crocks!!

Max

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Had to check out the new Confectionery.

View attachment 602188

View attachment 602189

View attachment 602194

It’s……large. Less charming. And more commercialized. (There are many not-so-subtle references that it’s sponsored by Mars Candy.)

View attachment 602190

“EARidescent” has to be the least appealing M&Ms color ever created.

View attachment 602191

These containers were $40. FORTY BUCKS! Disney would need to pay me $40 to take one….and even then I’m not sure I could stomach eating those worm-colored M&Ms.

I also can’t stomach eating dryer lint. But this kind CM posed so I could send some to @Mr Ferret 88 and @dryerlintfan.

View attachment 602192

View attachment 602193

Custom popcorn creations made here. Also not for me. I’m a purist.

View attachment 602195
I love it. My opinion doesn't really matter since we only stop by on our way out of the parkas to get treats for people back home, but I love how clean and open those pictures make it feel. The kids are all going to go bonkers over the m&m wall, but $40 is ridiculous for a little jar.

I wonder if the iridescent ones can breathe through their skin like worms do, too 😂😂

plawren2

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

View attachment 598044

agreed, a few weeks ago was my 11th lifetime WDW trip (BTW my first one was at age 6 at Christmas 1971), we managed fine without Genie+ and LL .......BUT can foresee that as crowds and lines increase with this holiday season and in 2022 as 50th celebration continues and pandemic wanes, many folks are going to be frustrated with need for Genie+ and LL to best manage their trips, adding $$$ to an already $$$$$ trip

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

But not us.

At least not this trip.

View attachment 598044

Oh gosh. I have been out of pocket for a bit but I'm so so so incredibly sorry for your loss 😭😭 I'm glad you were able to visit Disney and get some magical joy, but I know the loss of a parent is an unimaginable untouchable unhealable pain. I hope time makes it easier, and my thoughts are with you guys. So incredibly sorry ❤️

Last edited:

Benjamin_Nicholas

But not us.

At least not this trip.

If you listen closely, you can almost hear a Sousa march playing loudly behind this post.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Friday, con’t

We did not get our room ready text until 5 pm! (And the room number did not appear in MDE until several minutes after that.)

I really didn't want our first impression to be in the dark, but sunset was quickly approaching so Woody and I hopped on the monorail to the Polynesian. We unloaded the car and hauled our belongings to Raratonga. When I saw we'd been given a second floor room I was disappointed. Second floor rooms don't have balconies.

Determined not to let that cloud our trip, I pressed my MagicBand against the door lock and......nothing. Woody tried his band. Red flashing light, same as me. I pulled out the spare MagicBands I'd brought and none of them worked to unlock the door. The fact that we were unable to unlock the pool gate earlier should have served as a warning for us! Woody managed to unlock the door with his phone. While I appreciate the ability to open the door via phone, tapping a band is so much faster. (Something I would prove over the course of our stay.)

Once inside we set aside our luggage so I could take room pics!

View attachment 599651

View attachment 599652

The Moana touches are very subtle (note the wallpaper above.)

View attachment 599653

Lampshade:

View attachment 599656

View attachment 599655

Wall art:

View attachment 599657

Notice anything in the picture below? (Don't worry, there won't be a quiz later.)

View attachment 599654

Our immediate reaction to the room? We liked the modern decor. Liked the bright colors (the former rooms were dark). Liked the practical features ~ lots of USB ports, large dresser drawers, under-bed storage, small shelves next to the bed. We miss carpet (the floor was slick and I nearly fell while walking in socks) and a ceiling fan ~ but we know those design choices are no longer popular. (And I suspected there would be no clock @MinnieM123 so I came prepared with my own!)
Wow that's a LOT more Moana than I was expecting

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

View attachment 601693

Arty Pooh. But was it really since we rode before rope drop?

View attachment 601694

Eh, since it’s my slang, it counts!

Fantasyland was still fairly quiet but time was running out.

View attachment 601695

To get the most “bang for your buck” at early entry, you need to be wise with the limited amount of time. First, be in the castle hub before 8:30 am so you are one of the first to enter Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. (We were late due to monorail issue.) Second, choose one of the two lands as you won’t have time for both. Third, start with an attraction you don’t want to stand in a long line for later in the day.

The majority of early entry guests rush to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, filling the queue quickly. With this strategy you’ll ride with minimal wait but it may be your only early entry attraction (at best you may get in a second “quick-moving” ride like Pooh, Mermaid or Tea Cups.) 7DMT isn’t a fave of ours but another slow-load attraction is.

View attachment 601696

We went straight to Pan after Pooh and were in the queue when the clock struck 9 am.

View attachment 601697
TINK!!

Our wait was 15 minutes, which was much better than the 45 minutes it quickly became after rope drop (and the use of Lightning Lane.)

BefArtyPooh

Or shorten it to just fartypooh 😂😂

lindawdw

OMG, I loved the pictures from the HM!!! You and Woody certainly did a lot without the darn Genie+! I was so excited to see all the retro merchandise in the cinema and actually bought a retro sweatshirt from there! The confectionary shop does feel more commercialized but I think it's more efficient now with the registers!

tonystark

Summoning @tonystark. Your presence is requested for this post.
DUNKIN DONUTS, EARLY MORNING, NOVEMBER 23RD

A random woman in line behind me reads the back of my sweatshirt aloud.

RANDOM WOMAN IN LINE BEHIND ME
I sure hope a ghost doesn't follow me home! What's that from?
I am slightly caught off guard with it being early in the morning. I turn around to show her the front of the sweatshirt with the hatbox ghost.

ME
Oh, it's Disney.

RANDOM WOMAN IN LINE BEHIND ME
Oh, I thought maybe you were Wicca or something!

ME
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

acting schitts creek GIF by CBC

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw the Mickey ones of these during our trip and thought I saw a $25.00 price sticker and said NO WAY!
Then realized that was for another item when Gary pointed out the ridiculous correct price! :oops:
I had been trying to justify $25.00 so I could have the (cheap plastic) container as a collectible.
Hard pass.
And I've been known to buy a silly amount of Mickey stuff.
Looks like brains. Something you’d be severely lacking if you think I’d pay $40 for that!
Disney Food Blog said they think these look like brains. They obviously weren't using them when they created these.
Do this ~
brain GIF

Not this ~
200.gif

I wonder if the iridescent ones can breathe through their skin like worms do, too 😂😂
animation dance GIF by jellygummies

I thought of flesh colored when I saw it. I thought cannibalism was reserved for the Jungle Cruise? ;)
apocalypse butters GIF by South Park

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We definitely had one of those back scratchers too! I’ll have to dig around at my parents house next time I’m there…
We have the back scratcher too! It currently resides in the top drawer of husbands dresser. One souvenir we actually kept.
Had to chuckle over the price of the back scratcher. (Hubs insists that the best back scratcher is his long-reach screwdriver from the toolbox.) ;) No Mickey design, but it does the trick and was a lot cheaper to buy! :joyfull:
Also a proud owner of one of the back scratchers, which I’m pretty sure is still hanging on the back of my old door at my parents house!
All this talk of back scratchers has suddenly made me very itchy.....

Satisfying Oh Yeah GIF by DisneyJunior

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
AND YET they want us to pay extra for photopass now :rolleyes: I think we only ended up with 2 ride photos this last trip...missing maybe 4 or 5?
Unbelievable, isn't it?

Nice pics! 👍
That is an extra special compliment coming from you ❣️

enjoyed the pics of the retro merchandise. Wonder if they have flip books - anyone remember those? Mini booklets you'd flip through quickly to see how a series of images became cartoon animation? That's definitely a '70s era item.
I do remember flip books! But I don't recall seeing any there.

Oh gosh. I have been out of pocket for a bit but I'm so so so incredibly sorry for your loss 😭😭 I'm glad you were able to visit Disney and get some magical joy, but I know the loss of a parent is an unimaginable untouchable unhealable pain. I hope time makes it easier, and my thoughts are with you guys. So incredibly sorry ❤️
Thank you, sweet friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom