Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
"I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read."
following

Max
Very much ready to read.
Your trip reports are a pure delight.
Thank you for sharing this trip. ❤️
I am always ready to read one of your trip reports!!
Ready to read along!!
As always in to read your trip!

Read Beauty And The Beast GIF

Don't listen to Gaston. There'll be pictures!
Welcome, fellow readers. :happy:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
My condolences on the loss of your father.
I am very sorry for your loss, but I am very happy for your trip report, it something I look forward too whenever I see you on the boards!!!
I'm so sorry to hearing of your Father's passing.
So sorry to hear about your dad :( I hope this trip brought a little bit of peace for you
Very sorry to hear about your father.
My sympathies to you and your family.
I hope this trip brought up many happy memories for you.
So sorry to hear of the loss of your father. May his memory be a blessing to you and your family.
I'm here, too! So sorry to hear about your father and hope you and Woody have a "most memorable" trip.
I am sorry to hear the news of your father's passing. I am following along and can't wait to hear about your experiences.
My condolences on the loss of your father. I hope the nostalgia, the memories, and the magic helped you heal. 💫
Deepest sympathies on your loss, looking forward to the trip report. Marie

Appreciate your thoughtful words, my friends. :inlove:

I posted the following in my previous trip report. Hope it gives you a glimpse of my wonderful father.

Epilogue

I did not intend to take so long to complete my summer trip report. Thanks for bearing with me and for persevering to the end.

Over the last few months I helped care for the man who first brought me to Walt Disney World, way back in July 1972.

View attachment 594126

He loved the Hall of Presidents. The Skyway. The 360-degree America the Beautiful film. The Contemporary. River Country.

He never missed a performance of the Voices of Liberty in the AA rotunda. He always sat on the floor. (This typically following a hibachi lunch “in Japan.”) Soarin’ amazed him.

He was there the day his 15-year-old grandson was in the Hot Seat at Who Wants to Be A Millionaire ~ and cheered in disbelief when his 12-year-old grandson replaced his brother in that same Hot Seat.

An animal lover, he appreciated Animal Kingdom more than anyone else in the family. And he was proud to be one of the first guests to ride Everest, in spite of his vertigo.

I was blessed to accompany him on his last trip to the World in September 2016.

View attachment 594127

On October 1, 2021 ~ the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World ~ my daddy left for his heavenly home.

My heart is breaking. Finishing this report was my tribute to him. My beloved Woody is taking me to my happy place in a few days for some much-needed R & R.

Sweet memories will accompany me there. ❤️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
One of the greatest introductions to a trip report. I'm always in for a Tuvalu report.
My favorite trip reporter :) I'm in
Yes please.
Here! 🙋‍♀️
Can't wait to hear everything about it. :D
I am here!!!😊
Tony Shalhoub Teacher GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I am so in for the journey!
Wished you and B had been there....

MickeyCB

I just read your sweet epilogue.
How wonderful it would have been to talk to him. I adore learning about the history of both Disneyland and Disney World, and I'll bet he had so many stories he could tell.
Again, my sympathies to you and your family.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So looking forward to this report.
Yippee!!! Another TR from Tuvalu -- my day is now complete! :cool:
Following along!!
So glad to see another Tuvalu TR!
Looking forward to this!!
Yahoooo.....thanks for sharing your adventure with us! :happy:🥰👍
Still on page 2.. I consider this a Win! Enjoy your weekend fellow Magicians!
Hello GIF by Originals

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

LeighM

I'm back to following along! I've missed most of your recent trip reports after a long break from the boards. I am very sorry to hear about your father's passing. I know how difficult losing a parent can be and I hope this Disney trip, while probably bittersweet, will remind you of some more very happy memories of being there together. You and your family have my sincerest condolences.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Always looking forward to your reports!!!!
I'm back to following along! I've missed most of your recent trip reports after a long break from the boards. I am very sorry to hear about your father's passing. I know how difficult losing a parent can be and I hope this Disney trip, while probably bittersweet, will remind you of some more very happy memories of being there together. You and your family have my sincerest condolences.
Nice to have you here….and thanks.

tommcp516

So sorry again to hear about your father.

When I read your first paragraph I immediately recalled when my parents took me to WDW in 1974 when I was 8, and I had a vivid image of us using those ticket books.
Screenshot_20211107-063345_Chrome.jpg

It brought back a lot of fond memories of both my parents, and I hope this trip gave you a few moments of solace when remembering some special times there with your dad.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Page 3, but here! Very interested to hear how it goes without the + or extra lightning charges.
Phil Hartman Reaction GIF

So sorry again to hear about your father.

When I read your first paragraph I immediately recalled when my parents took me to WDW in 1974 when I was 8, and I had a vivid image of us using those ticket books.
View attachment 599037

It brought back a lot of fond memories of both my parents, and I hope this trip gave you a few moments of solace when remembering some special times there with your dad.
We found a couple leftover ticket books (with A’s and B’s of course!) while cleaning out an old desk at my parents’ house.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, October 22

This trip was planned only two weeks out. I wasn’t sure what resort availability I’d find. Table service dining would likely be a challenge. I was less concerned about making park pass reservations, since Disney has increased capacity and the expected crowds during the first month of the 50th celebration never materialized.

I played around with arrival dates to increase resort selections. There wasn’t a lot from which to choose. When the Poly appeared on my screen for this Friday arrival I nearly cried. It was a sign. Tuvalu was going home!

Obtaining park passes was a breeze. Rather than stress about dining, I picked three restaurants where we wanted to eat and found time slots for each. While on vacation, we ended up canceling one ADR and modifying the other two. We were also able to dine at SIX additional restaurants with last-minute ADRs (not via the walk-up wait list.)

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Three days before we left for WDW, the Genie system was launched. I read up on it. It sounded so complicated. I tried explaining it to Woody, several different times. We both installed the latest version of the MDE app, which described Genie, Genie+, and Individual Lightning Lane purchases.

“I have a college degree and nearly 40 years in the software business and I don’t fully understand Genie+,” Woody would say. “But if you want to try it out for research purposes, I’m game.”

“This is not a trip for aggravation,” I replied. Little did I know then how much aggravation (thanks to the MDE update) was in store for me.

We departed Atlanta in darkness and made our usual stop a couple hours later for breakfast.

6936F37F-C7F3-450E-BDCB-249A19192A99.jpeg

Had to have a car picnic since CFA’s dining room wasn’t open due to being short staffed.

We’d stop only once more for a restroom break and in early afternoon arrived at the (finally completed) renovated Polynesian Village Resort.

11EE73B3-9019-45D5-B2E6-9544C6C421BE.jpeg

We liked the new porte cochère!

9827F0EF-19F6-4FE2-9D09-EDBB74C80F1D.jpeg

A8B3719B-284B-46D2-AAFE-A4C1EE0B1534.jpeg

31A1FE89-2D86-465E-884A-3C588C5DB133.jpeg

68179D6E-C15E-4F29-A811-1F4D55D5E13D.jpeg

17ACB6A0-4FA2-42B3-B13E-3208CE179DD3.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom