Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

amjt660

Premium Member
Your MK morning plan is confusing

I thought you did Pooh first (while most people were going for the Mine Train) and then go to Pan while the majority of people filed off the Mine train (and onto Pooh).

Or am I just imagining that this is your normal approach?

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Max

lindawdw

Your top looks so cute Tuvalu!!! I'm sorry that your dinner was such a disappointment at Steakhouse 71. I was disappointed they did away with the bread too as we always enjoyed that at The Wave! We had a great breakfast and dinner there in December, but it was very pricey. I'm finding all the restaurants pricey at WDW now. :rolleyes:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ve been out in that corner of Steakhouse a few times when it was the Wave. I just thought they were trying to hide me as a single diner.

we did Steakhouse for breakfast and lunch over Thanksgiving and it was fine. The meals were tasty enough but I wasn’t as in love with it as the Wave. I did like the art on the walls, especially the hallway into the restaurant.
Drinking Alone Hip Hop GIF by Zak G

The wall art is great!

Disappointed to hear this about Steakhouse 71. I always loved the Wave and I wasn't as upset about the replacement of it when I heard what was planned. I think we're going to have to at least give it a try, but maybe it will be for lunch ;) .

I'll tell you one things servers are such a huge part of the whole experience. If you get a great one, an OK meal can be awesome but if you get a bad one...man o' man it just about ruin the best meal in the world.
Definitely try Steakhouse 71. I'm hoping our dinner experience was a one-off but am in no hurry to return.
Your server comment is
Spot On Mel B GIF by America's Got Talent

That's a shame about Steakhouse 71, I never got to try the Wave!
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm sorry that your dinner was such a disappointment at Steakhouse 71. We had a great breakfast and dinner there in December, but it was very pricey. I'm finding all the restaurants pricey at WDW now. :rolleyes:
Happy to know of your good dining experiences at Steakhouse 71.....and completely agree that the majority of WDW restaurants are way too pricey.

free money GIF

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry for all of the likes! I have been absent a couple of months and I am trying to get all caught up.

Belated Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Birthday to Em! I hope her 30th was great! Wishing her many more happy and healthy years to come!

I am making a point to try LTT on the next visit. It always looks so good! We were there Thanksgiving week and the week after and geez, the after Thanksgiving crowds were in full force last year! We normally love that week. Hope once the 50th is over, the lower crowds will be a thing again that week.

I agree 200% about the HS Christmas decor, I enjoy it the most by far.

Looking forward to the rest of Em's birthday recap!
Nice to see you back @KellBelle. Thanks for all wishes and greetings!

LTT is definitely a family favorite and the mains never disappoint. Save room for dessert!

Hope to finish the December trip recap very soon.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
And the rain rain rain
Came down down down

It wouldn’t be a Tuvalu and Em trip without rain.

Summer rain we can handle, even if caught in an unexpected downpour. Wet clothes and feet are never any fun, but at least temps are warm.

Winter rain on the other hand….

Water Douse GIF

Cold shivers!

When Marnie Was There Wet Shoes GIF

Soggy sneakers that won’t dry! (Pro tip: removing cold, wet socks helps. Slightly.)

A weather front had brought frigid temps (for FL) and the rain. For the first time ever, Em and I agreed that a rainy day at Disney is NOT always better than a day at home.

It didn’t help that our scheduled park was Epcot….lots of outdoor walking in a still-under-refurbishment park with few rides/interior spaces to stay dry. And SSE was down both times we got there, despite the app claiming the attraction was open. :banghead:

We spent long stretches of time in the Land pavilion (the holiday overlay of LWTL was awesome!!) and Regal Eagle (very reminiscent of my similar experience with Woody in October.) We hung out awhile in the American Adventure rotunda waiting for the next show. No Voices of Liberty, but some pretty amazing gingerbread displays ~

5DDDF970-81B1-4683-998C-EDD8E0F16284.jpeg

F0A1C468-8C4E-4FFE-84EA-EE49CE0D16C0.jpeg

8590BF1C-4049-471D-9F5D-4FEB3D5390CD.jpeg

(Hated that they were all encased in plexiglass, but understood the reasons why.)

We stayed in the park longer than we would have under inclement conditions because we did not want Em’s early morning effort to go to waste.

She’d procured us a Rat boarding group so we didn’t have to pay for an ILL.

B19DC881-F040-4663-9A08-2368D7E14FD3.jpeg

A HUGE shout out and thanks to @Laurenciaa for the tip to not wear the 3D glasses. I suffered no motion sickness (despite the “fuzziness” of the screens) and was able to follow the story and appreciate the non-screen props since I didn’t have my eyes closed!

Em….who typically does okay with screen-based attractions….developed a bad headache as we exited. She’s fine with skipping Remy in the future.

The rain had started again and we didn’t feel like making that long wet walk to the front entrance. We saw that the Skyliner was operating (since there was no strong wind or lightning) so we climbed aboard for a ride to the Studios, where we caught the POFQ bus.

Spent the rest of the afternoon watching a Christmas movie. It was still raining when we went to bed that night.

Laurenciaa

And the rain rain rain
Came down down down

It wouldn’t be a Tuvalu and Em trip without rain.

Summer rain we can handle, even if caught in an unexpected downpour. Wet clothes and feet are never any fun, but at least temps are warm.

Winter rain on the other hand….

Water Douse GIF

Cold shivers!

When Marnie Was There Wet Shoes GIF

Soggy sneakers that won’t dry! (Pro tip: removing cold, wet socks helps. Slightly.)

A weather front had brought frigid temps (for FL) and the rain. For the first time ever, Em and I agreed that a rainy day at Disney is NOT always better than a day at home.

It didn’t help that our scheduled park was Epcot….lots of outdoor walking in a still-under-refurbishment park with few rides/interior spaces to stay dry. And SSE was down both times we got there, despite the app claiming the attraction was open. :banghead:

We spent long stretches of time in the Land pavilion (the holiday overlay of LWTL was awesome!!) and Regal Eagle (very reminiscent of my similar experience with Woody in October.) We hung out awhile in the American Adventure rotunda waiting for the next show. No Voices of Liberty, but some pretty amazing gingerbread displays ~

View attachment 614753

View attachment 614752

View attachment 614754
(Hated that they were all encased in plexiglass, but understood the reasons why.)

We stayed in the park longer than we would have under inclement conditions because we did not want Em’s early morning effort to go to waste.

She’d procured us a Rat boarding group so we didn’t have to pay for an ILL.

View attachment 614755

A HUGE shout out and thanks to @Laurenciaa for the tip to not wear the 3D glasses. I suffered no motion sickness (despite the “fuzziness” of the screens) and was able to follow the story and appreciate the non-screen props since I didn’t have my eyes closed!

Em….who typically does okay with screen-based attractions….developed a bad headache as we exited. She’s fine with skipping Remy in the future.

The rain had started again and we didn’t feel like making that long wet walk to the front entrance. We saw that the Skyliner was operating (since there was no strong wind or lightning) so we climbed aboard for a ride to the Studios, where we caught the POFQ bus.

Spent the rest of the afternoon watching a Christmas movie. It was still raining when we went to bed that night.
You are very very welcome @Tuvalu! Happy you could enjoy it now without any side effects :D! Okay the screen is a bit fuzzy but you still get the drift of the attraction and I also focus on the decors besides the screens.. they are also pretty and interesting to look at in between scenes!

lindawdw

I'm with you on the rain in colder temps at WDW! 🥴 Bummer that Em got a headache after Ratatouille.😿 My daughter and her fiancé' actually felt queasy after going on it in December and I've heard other say the same thing. Sorry the rain continued into the night.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm with you on the rain in colder temps at WDW! 🥴 Bummer that Em got a headache after Ratatouille.😿 My daughter and her fiancé' actually felt queasy after going on it in December and I've heard other say the same thing. Sorry the rain continued into the night.
I’m sorry the “rat plague” got your daughter and her fiancé too. Funny how some can ride with no problems and others get 🤢. We managed to get to our dinner ADR in spite of the rain.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our last park day was truly a Merry Magic Kingdom day.

272F9332-7429-4F08-A2B4-7C190EA4F143.jpeg

And while it was rain-free, it was windy and 🥶! We took off our coats for the above picture but immediately put them back on ~ and kept them on for the duration.

There were so many resort guests at early entry that it took us over 10 minutes to inch through the crowd crush and get our bands scanned near the Fantasyland bridge. But we lucked out with short waits (longest one being 15 minutes) and managed to do a half dozen attractions before our “ @Doc Disney and Mary-early” lunch at Pecos Bill. Here I was able to introduce Em to the fabulous cinnamon sugar donuts that Woody and I discovered at the Friar’s Nook. The same donuts are on the PB menu….under Desserts of course!

The final Christmas After Hours Event had been the night prior which meant Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime parade was now being performed for day guests through New Years. It was on our must-do list so we staked our spot early in front of City Hall. We were the coldest we’d ever been waiting for a daytime parade!

53CE30F3-3ECD-4604-9DB5-2F793736E4B0.jpeg

9E5AD6D1-30BE-4714-8076-D17311C317EF.jpeg

There were fewer performers in the parade than in pre-Covid years. Only about 1/3 of the toy soldiers and 7 reindeer.

443A51F0-F6BE-4155-BCC2-E70DD8FF5212.jpeg

Thankfully Santa wasn’t cut!

B7F6AA86-20EF-4083-A804-0CFA247BEF46.jpeg

We did enjoy the truncated version of Christmastime and were happy we got to see it.

Em and I took a break to visit the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian. While some Magicians loved the new blue/white/gold color palette, we did not care for it. We prefer the traditional red/white/green.

B1BF3597-A442-405F-A048-57168B91269D.jpeg

We returned to the park and checked in for dinner 15 minutes prior to our ADR time. We didn’t expect to be seated early, but we also didn’t expect to wait 25 minutes past our reservation either….only to be placed at what we begrudgingly call “our table”.

The crap table by the kitchen/supply station. Woody and I were stuck here in October. Em and I have been seated here more often than not. She’s DONE, and requested we not eat here on our next trip. (“I HATE having to look at the dishes!”)

342F1957-9DE3-4FA8-9911-EB14759B1316.jpeg

The food was delicious. The Ooey Gooey not so much. It wasn’t warm nor gooey.

We soaked in the nighttime ambiance of the MK at Christmas. The snow on Main Street was an unexpected surprise!

365DA21A-3456-49A4-B80A-A1239C1761A4.jpeg

We watched Enchantment from this area to see the storefront projections, along with the fireworks.

We pined for HEA.

“I’d rather just watch the fireworks outside the park,” Em concluded.

And so our journey comes to an end. But not for too long. If life permits we’ll be back in April for more adventures and fun.

Thanks again for following along. I appreciate each of you taking the time to read (and give feedback!)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I like all your TRs and this one was just as much fun! :happy: I wish it wasn't finished, but I guess that just means that I can look forward to a new one at some point in 2022.

Loved the shirts that you and Em were wearing -- so cute! Really enjoyed looking at all the gingerbread displays throughout the hotels, and also the ones in the American Adventure. (Didn't realize that the A. A. had those, and wondering if this is something "new" they introduced last holiday season.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom