Trip Report We are venturing outside our comfort zones and hoping the reward is worth it!! April 11 -23, 2021

Hello! I am, again, going to attempt to do a semi livish trip report and then fill in the details when I return. Like Rapunzel, when we made these plans, I definitely was taking a leap a faith! I, like all of us, have had a long year. We are DVC members and it was time to use the points. It is that simple. I can't tell you how thrilled I am now!

The cast remains the same! Den (my husband), Deighton(me), Hunter (16), Camden (9), and Brinley (5 and starts kindergarten in the fall). Some of us are a lot taller and some of us wider...

20190605_104920.jpg

We fly Southwest out of Pittsburgh early Sunday morning and land in Orlando around 10:15am.( I feel like I struck gold with 2 nonstop flights!) Then we head to the home where animals belong, a one bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge until April 19th. Then we move to Cabana Bay Beach Resort until the 23rd. Universal is a whole new world for us. Any advice for the entire length of stay is welcome!

I will be posting our plans soon! Thanks for reading! Another big thank you to those of you who posted, happy, positive thoughts and reports during these crazy times. It definitely kept time moving forward and hope alive. It keeps me smiling and tearing up to see your children growing up on this platform! Happy Thursday everyone!!

littleroo

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your trip with us! I really enjoyed following along! You may want to look into a deluxe room at Hard Rock too, it has two queen beds and a pullout sofa with lots of floor space and a dressing area. Still only has one bathroom, but there is a sink in with the shower and toilet and a separate vanity/sink area.
Thank you for following and the advice on room space! I wish the rooms were just a little bigger at Cabana Bay! Everything would have been perfect otherwise!

littleroo

Original Poster
The joys of homeownership! We came home to a broken washing machine. It was going to cost more to fix than it was worth, so we got a new washer. New washer is now broken after about five loads of laundry. 🙄
I am sorry you went home to that but it is so much worse because the new washer doesn't work! That is so frustrating! We had a brand new washer with all the bells and whistles that lasted 6 months before it was finished. My grandmother gave us a super old washer while the new one was on back order. This was almost 3 years ago. That old washer is still what we use! The high tech one is wrapped up in the back of the garage.🤣

Loco_driver

I am sorry you went home to that but it is so much worse because the new washer doesn't work! That is so frustrating! We had a brand new washer with all the bells and whistles that lasted 6 months before it was finished. My grandmother gave us a super old washer while the new one was on back order. This was almost 3 years ago. That old washer is still what we use! The high tech one is wrapped up in the back of the garage.🤣
At least it broke while still under warranty, just kind of frustrating to have to deal with the warranty people already. Looks like it’ll be an easy fix at least. Seems like the fancier the appliance is, the faster it breaks!

littleroo

Original Poster
Good Morning! How is it Thursday already? I can't believe we have been home a week, tomorrow! The Disney blues are a real thing for this girl and family. Den and I are looking at a 5 day trip the first week in November. On property? Off property? Save points? Use them? Vegas? 😆So many things to talk about and this chases the blues away!

I also feel extremely lucky to have been able to go on vacation especially to the greatest place on Earth! I really hope that all of our friends on here, who don't live within our borders, get to return really soon!!!

Speaking of the greatest place on Earth, is it really?? Hmmmm!! I am not going to do a traditional after the fact trip report because I think too much of it would be repeat at nauseum! Instead I am going to do some compare and contrast, and tell you about some of the unfortunate things that did happen on our trip that I omitted intentionally. The truth is on a 2 week vacation there will be pitfalls especially during a pandemic!
20210418_120738.jpg

littleroo

Original Poster
My next rants are going to come across as preachy. Please allow this indulgence. I am in no way talking to many of you regular goers. Maybe just talking to some of the new, first timers, who are lurking for information or direction or maybe more peace of mind to have it off my chest! Please feel free to skip this section all together!

There was a recent section in one of the trip reports on pet peeves🤣 I find my list is long after a 2 week vacation. I start off 100 percent positive on vacation! By day 13, I want to write a manual. I have met many, many amazing people while in Disney! In the next breath, I have met many who need to be returned to the womb and retrained by different beings!

These pet peeves are in no particular order:

1. Please walk on the right hand side of the road! If you need to walk across the road, you are the one who is suppose to say EXCUSE me and be patient!

2. If you are in a group of 2 or more, please do not form a line across the road especially when you are at a leisurely stroll!!

3. When entering the parks have your information ready. I can't tell you the number of times that people didn't have their phones out and ready!

4. Be kind to the cast members! They are real people who are trying to do a job. I have seen people being kinder to ducks than their fellow man! Acknowledge their presence and say thank you, even with a mask! Masks do not cover our eyes!

5. 6 feet, 3 feet, one foot...I don't care. Even if mankind discovers the fountain of youth, I want my own space. Touching strangers is not normal!

Thank you! I will step down now and return to my normal, jolly self! It is amazing how freeing that was!! I appreciate your assistance!!

This is where I would love to post GIFs but no matter how I try nothing works!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It is very sad that you need to make such a list, but unfortunately much of what you have said is true, and not just at WDW. The number of times I’ve said to a cashier in a store « How are you today? » to be met with a surprised smile, to which I sometimes say « I have the fortune of not being at work at this instance, but you are, so I hope you are having a good day ».

littleroo

Original Poster
It is very sad that you need to make such a list, but unfortunately much of what you have said is true, and not just at WDW. The number of times I’ve said to a cashier in a store « How are you today? » to be met with a surprised smile, to which I sometimes say « I have the fortune of not being at work at this instance, but you are, so I hope you are having a good day ».
Exactly it is not hard to be kind!

littleroo

Original Poster
Day 1 April 11- 4am

I spring out of bed and jump in the shower! My Christmas had come again! 5am on the way to Pittsburgh International! It is raining which would remain the theme of the day!

We walked in the airport, after getting an unusually close parking spot, and put on the brakes! It was 5:45 am on a Sunday morning and the security lines were gigantic!! It took us 45 minutes to get to the tram!

Next up Michael Simon's for a bloody mary and breakfast.
(Just went to look through my pictures and April 11, 12 , and 13 do not exist!!🤬)
They have these wonderful rosemary breakfast potatoes that I could eat 100 of! If you are ever in the Pittsburgh Airport, give them a shot and send me a picture...

This would be the only breakfast we paid for all vacation!!( besides brunch at Homecoming at noon. Doesn't count!) We had food delivered. The kids had cereal, toast, bacon or Canadian bacon every morning. It is one way that I am definitely cheap. I am not paying over a hundred dollars for breakfast. For those of you, who made it this far into the report, you know we love our ADRs!

Shortly, after breakfast, we were flying the not so friendly skies!! The turbulence was unreal!! That fabulous storm that @Darstarr brought with her was a living nightmare for me! It has been 25 years since I have been on a flight like that! I wished I had drank 5 bloody marys for sure!!

Here is where I would put a gif of me kissing the ground when we landed!!

Up next cont. of first day!

Loco_driver

My next rants are going to come across as preachy. Please allow this indulgence. I am in no way talking to many of you regular goers. Maybe just talking to some of the new, first timers, who are lurking for information or direction or maybe more peace of mind to have it off my chest! Please feel free to skip this section all together!

There was a recent section in one of the trip reports on pet peeves🤣 I find my list is long after a 2 week vacation. I start off 100 percent positive on vacation! By day 13, I want to write a manual. I have met many, many amazing people while in Disney! In the next breath, I have met many who need to be returned to the womb and retrained by different beings!

1. Please walk on the right hand side of the road! If you need to walk across the road, you are the one who is suppose to say EXCUSE me and be patient!

2. If you are in a group of 2 or more, please do not form a line across the road especially when you are at a leisurely stroll!!

3. When entering the parks have your information ready. I can't tell you the number of times that people didn't have their phones out and ready!

4. Be kind to the cast members! They are real people who are trying to do a job. I have seen people being kinder to ducks than their fellow man! Acknowledge their presence and say thank you, even with a mask! Masks do not cover our eyes!

5. 6 feet, 3 feet, one foot...I don't care. Even if mankind discovers the fountain of youth, I want my own space. Touching strangers is not normal!

Thank you! I will step down now and return to my normal, jolly self! It is amazing how freeing that was!! I appreciate your assistance!!

All of this! It takes just as much effort to be an A-hole as it does to be kind and considerate. I hate how selfish we’ve become as a society!

Loco_driver

We really should have met!!
Better start planning your next trip. How about August 8-14? December 5-11? Just throwing some dates out. I might know of a few folks who will be in central Florida around those dates. Maybe. Probably.
Personally, I think it takes more effort to be an A-hole - so to conserve energy I try to remain kind and considerate 😉
While I would say that’s true for many of us, I know some people who are A-holes without any effort at all. I guess it balances out. 😉

Songbird76

So true!! And though I wasn't in Disney, I would add in general to be aware of yourself and the space you are inhabiting. Like the not forming a line across the path. Or if you have to stop to look at a map, don't just stand in the middle of a pathway...move to the side where you are not in someone else's way. And make sure you are paying attention to the people in the vicinity. I can't tell you how many times my daughter or I have felt invisible because someone is not paying attention and crashes directly into us because they were walking down the center of a path instead of to their own side. Then they inevitably glare at us like we were the ones who jumped in front of them. If you have several feet of space on one side and someone else is coming from the other direction and has no room to move over, be kind and use that empty space. Just be aware of the people and the space around you and use some logic rather than assuming you have more right to be in that space than someone else and forcing them to give way to you when you could have more easily made room than they could.

Songbird76

Better start planning your next trip. How about August 8-14? December 5-11? Just throwing some dates out. I might know of a few folks who will be in central Florida around those dates. Maybe. Probably.

While I would say that’s true for many of us, I know some people who are A-holes without any effort at all. I guess it balances out. 😉
Maybe they just make it SEEM effortless because they are so proficient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom