WDW's Heyday

lpet11984

Original Poster
I never had the opportunity to visit WDW prior to the Millenium Celebration, but I look back on that first visit in January 2000 so fondly... it was a great time to visit! That got me considering how WDW has evolved over time and became curious: at what point in its history do you think WDW was at its prime?

mj2v

The point is that it never stops evolving.

That being said, there have been times when the company clearly had other priorities.

Living in Orlando for the last 24 years, I have never seen growth and development like there is now. We are seeing an incredible time in theme parks as Uni and Mickey go head to head more than ever. The best thing to happen for Disney fans was the opening of Harry Potter. I was having a coffee with a senior WDW executive right after he saw Hogwarts for the first time and his response was "oh sh@@". I knew that was a GREAT sign.

Coozi

WDW will reach its prime in 4.5 years for its 50th anniversary. Animal Kingdom is the best "themed" park of all time, with each attraction furthering its mission and giving the park depth. The addition of Pandora, Rivers of Light, nighttime safaris, and late night entertainment/hours have given this park the push it needed. Over the next four years, WDW will renovate its other 3 parks to bring them each to their most fully realized state for the big 5-0. Hollywood studios will rise from by far the worst WDW park to a top contender with its 2.8 billion dollar refurbishment. Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, a brand new name, entrance, central figure, and overall new theming, plus whatever other surprises they have in store will all be completed by 2020. Magic Kingdom is already a near perfect park, but nearly every attraction will be refurbished and given some pixie dust before 2021. If the rumors are true, we will be getting rid of that giant speedway and getting something more fitting of TomorrowLand in its place, potentially Tron. There is a lot of projects going on right now, and WDW has a very exciting future in store!

JIMINYCR

I dont think Disney will ever reach its prime either, because they have to constantly get better to draw new guests and compete for returning guests. Its exciting to think how far technology can take us but also a bit scary. Looking back at WDW there are the years that stand out for me as favorites because of the distinct themes or promotions that were enjoyed. I loved the Golden Castle design, Tapestry of Nations, and the YOMD's. Of course the pleasure of not having the extremely crowded conditions, the "not plan every detail" years, the not having the crucial FP+ and ADR timing, remain as the best features lost forever to the past.

rob0519

From an attraction standpoint, I think now and the next five years may be WDW's Heyday. The new expansions at MK, DHS and AK and to a much lesser extent EPCOT are using technology to create new, immersive and exciting experiences for customers.

From the standpoint of an enjoyable experience, I would say the heyday would have been from the opening of AK through the implementation of the 180 day ADR option. It was at this point that I feel the crowds became larger, making it harder to have a relaxing and spontaneous time in the parks.

WEDwaydatamover

I think that WDW hit the high water mark around 1993-1994.

The mid 90s is when micro-management kicked in. Political Correctness and dumbing down of attractions started. Cuts and gimics became common practice.

No more pure and simple magic.

I actually miss the mid - late 90's WDW in retrospect. I never thought I would say that.

Goofyernmost

In my opinion it is only those that cannot let go of the past that cannot properly identify when WDW's prime time was, is or will be. It changed, but, it is only individual personal opinion about what was prime time and what isn't. The real judge is the amount of people that visit there on a yearly basis. Based on that I would say that every year that goes by is a prime year with the exception of the end of 2001, 2002 and 2003. After that it continued to become more "Prime" with every passing year.

Smiley/OCD

IMHO, "prime" is a relative term...just as with anything else in life, what you make of your time at WDW is what you're going to get out of it. We were there in March 2015...our favorite ride, Soarin' was closed for the lengthy refurb...some people would, (and many on here do) bellyache about the way things were and how it could be better. Life is too short to Monday morning quarterback...Many complain, but STILL show up year after year, go anyway, and STILL complain. I'd love to still be able to buy a beautiful home for $130,000 like I did in 1993 and buy a gallon of gas for .99 cents a gallon like I did when I first started driving in 1981. Those times are over. The memories will last forever. WDW will always be in a state of flux, and NEVER be done. Suck it up, quit complaining, and enjoy it. WDW is STILL the happiest place on earth...if you're not happy, Six Flags are all over the country...go there, and the lines will be shorter for us.

lpet11984

Original Poster
I certainly wasn't intending to imply any disrespect by asking, rather simply wondering if anyone else had any times that were highlights in their experiences. I've often wondered what it was about the parks in the late 80s-early 90s that made them so special, a peak in history for WDW.... was it simply because so many had their first visits then, as I did in 2000, or was there something more? And were there any other times in WDW's history that were significant?

Here's to hopefully seeing the best yet to come from WDW!

The_Jobu

I think that WDW hit the high water mark around 1993-1994.

The mid 90s is when micro-management kicked in. Political Correctness and dumbing down of attractions started. Cuts and gimics became common practice.

No more pure and simple magic.

I actually miss the mid - late 90's WDW in retrospect. I never thought I would say that.

Those were good times. If I had to pick an era, it'd be that.

beertiki

20 years from now, I will look back and think about the good old days, they are now.

Some trips are better than others, but after a few years they are all good.

BigRedDad

Disney World was in its prime in the 70s. Now, that statement comes down to the level of service and quality of its attendees. CMs would bend over backwards, attendees had a level of respect, and it was just incredible to be there. Now, attendees are horrible (not all, but you all know the ones) and CMs are limited at what they can do because of threats of lawsuits and simply Disney cutting back.

Cmdr_Crimson

Around 1991.....It hit that Right Moment..
nMKzzkQc.jpg

ji4310

Totally agree with the previous poster. First trip was in 1987, have been there for at least one day to multi-week trips every year since. Loved running into roaming Disney characters. The parks were practically pristine, and depending on the time of year, pleasantly uncrowded. This year is the first we've skipped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom