WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's been slow on cake updates...unless you guys really want to see the Super Mario cake I made for my younger one earlier this month. I do at least have a few Disney World bakery cakes to share.

This is a 6" chocolate ganache covered cake that was delivered to BOG. The person paid $65. The Contemporary bakery supposedly wanted a whopping $35 to add a 2D stand up edible image of Gaston to the top, so the person just added a plastic figurine that they purchased separately.

Next up- a mini wedding cake that was delivered to Cali Grill. Sorry- no price on it, but I'm guessing it's in the $35-40 range.

2e3vngx.jpg

Next- an 8" Belle themed cake delivered to BOG- $85. Obviously, I'm kind of biased, but I still prefer my Belle themed cake back on page 1- although, I prefer the price tag of this cake.

This one was also made by the Contemporary bakery. I will preface it by saying the client was disappointed. The client wanted a cake with sugar flowers that was reminiscent of her wedding bouquet. She was promised a cake covered in pink fondant- which clearly, this wasn't. She also notes that the bow is cracked and isn't the right kind of bow...i.e. should be long, shimmery, with some flow and draping. To me- it looks like they just put a bunch of flowers on one of their stock cakes. The cake was $68.

Anniv1_zps3399223e.jpg

Anniv2_zps05d38df8.jpg

Halloween Themed mini wedding from Contemporary bakery...

IMG_2182_zpsa0fd6ca1.jpg

Another mini wedding cake from the Contemporary + painted white chocolate 3D Belle- $80

bell-mini.jpg

Next up, a screen print cake delivered to Hoop Dee Doo...

And finally- a Minnie themed cake. I'm guessing this was the GF bakery b/c that table looks like 'Ohana.

MinnieCakebow.jpg

And one more screen print cake...$47 delivered to Garden Grill.

OK---that was more than just a few cakes. ;)

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving! :)

beavismom

HELP! I need to order a cake for my daughter's 16th birthday while we are at Disneyworld next week. I have been lurking here and other cake threads forever, but am not a creative person so I can't seem to put a cake plan together. My daughter loves EVERYTHING Disney so that doesn't help at all. Flavors I can handle, just not design. I am looking at a 6" cake, but would do 8" if I needed to. It will be fondant and probably purple and then I lose it. I am just feeling overwhelmed and I was hoping someone here can help me muddle through this.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
HELP! I need to order a cake for my daughter's 16th birthday while we are at Disneyworld next week. I have been lurking here and other cake threads forever, but am not a creative person so I can't seem to put a cake plan together. My daughter loves EVERYTHING Disney so that doesn't help at all. Flavors I can handle, just not design. I am looking at a 6" cake, but would do 8" if I needed to. It will be fondant and probably purple and then I lose it. I am just feeling overwhelmed and I was hoping someone here can help me muddle through this.

Sorry- I've been kind of MIA for a while. If you're leaning towards purple, my mind immediately goes to Rapunzel. My ideal Rapunzel cake - if working with the limitations of the Disney bakeries - would be a purple or lavender lantern - i.e. it would have the sun symbol like the lanterns going around the sides of the cake, the base would be wrapped in a yellow braid adorned with flowers, and the top would involve several edible images - from Rapunzel and Pascal to Flynn and Maximus.

My second purple idea involves Daisy and Minnie...since Daisy often wears lavender. I think Minnie and Daisy run the "Bowtique." I think it might be cute to have decent sized decorative edible bows going around the outside of the cake in complimentary colors/patterns, a pearl/edible bead border and the base, edible Daisy and Minnie on top with a bunch of neat edible bows, flowers, jewelry, etc. around them.

Sorry...not my most creative stuff, but it's all I've got right now. :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
a few more cakes for you guys.

First, @coachwnh 's most recent cake...GF bakery.

Next up, a cake from the Contemporary bakery for $110

Next, a mini wedding cake that was delivered to AOA...right around $75 (made by YC/BC bakery)

And finally, another cake from the GF bakery for $95

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A few cake updates for you...

We start with a cute cake that wound up being a cake blunder. The cake had the wrong name and message on it. that icing blob in the middle is where the incorrect info was removed. The poster was quoted $80 for the cake, but wound up paying $35.

lady_zps5a81eb50.jpg

This is the first Frozen themed cake I think I've seen. It was delivered to CRT and was $120.

Next up- 2 mini wedding cakes. The first was $25 and the second was $50.

Next up- a Belle themed mini-wedding cake delivered to BOG...$35.

BelleMiniCake09-2013_zps37743492.jpg

A mini wedding cake with the mini castle topper delivered to Akershus. This is the first time I've seen custom cakes end up there. The poster actually got 2 of these- totally identical.

Also, there have been some recent issues requesting anything Star Wars themed. I've heard a number of people turned down at the Contemporary bakery. People still seem to be having luck with cakes for DHS...wondering if this is some kind of sign of things to come...or just legal stuff for the basic crazy reasons.

Finally, I wanted to share the holiday cake I made the other week. I truly doubt the Disney bakeries would do the full on snow globe, but I know they'd do a winter scene...and it would be really easy to add Disney theming to something like this. Ex. you could have edible mouse ears added to the snowman or the earmuffs on the penguin could be mouse ears. Even the tree could be adorned with edible Mickey ornaments (i.e. the Mickey sprinkles or fondant shaped mouse ears).

11445752154_04caf7d56e_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year. :) Before I forget, I also wanted to share the INCREDIBLE Frozen cakes I saw the other day.

upload_2014-1-1_16-39-27.jpeg

The cake artist apparently did them for the Disney Company in London. Just to give you some perspective...here's the second cake with people also in the shot...

I'm sure some of you have already seen these...but I just wanted to share.

CinderMama

Those Frozen cakes are amazing. We just finally saw the movie yesterday and loved it! Won't be showing those to my daughter, don't need to give her any ideas.

Also, love love love your snow globe cake, Sandy! Seriously adorable. Happy New Year to you and your family!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Those Frozen cakes are amazing. We just finally saw the movie yesterday and loved it! Won't be showing those to my daughter, don't need to give her any ideas.

Also, love love love your snow globe cake, Sandy! Seriously adorable. Happy New Year to you and your family!

We saw the movie yesterday as well! We all really enjoyed it. I made the mistake of showing the kids the cakes and Sammie wants Olaf. I guess at least she picked the easiest of the bunch.

Thank you! Just trying to do something a little different for the holidays this year. Santa got me a number of caking supplies, so who knows what I'll be doing for my next cake. Happy New Year to you and your family as well :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I saw this cake post last night...it's obviously past the season, but something to keep in mind for any of you going next holiday season who might be interested in a Christmas cake...

It was $130 and made by the Contemporary.

Not nearly as exciting, but a slipper dessert...

cake1.jpg

...that they also got with a mini-wedding cake...

cake3.jpg

The slipper went with the cake and was done by the GF for a total of $60.

That's it for now...unless someone can help me decide on a cake theme for my parents that also incorporates the caking toys Santa brought me :D

Betsyboo

I'd like to pose a question to get an idea of your thoughts on cake delivery. We'll be celebrating my husband's 40th birthday and our 15th wedding anniversary during our Feb 23-Mar 1 trip. We have ADRs for Liberty Tree, California Grill, Boma, Ohana, BOG and Biergarten. I'm thinking a mini wedding cake for our anniversary at California Grill but undecided about where to celebrate his birthday. Liberty Tree was my first thought but we'll be hitting rides etc. after dinner and I read that the restaurant won't hold the remaining cake. We'll be calling it a day after Ohana and BOG. Thoughts and suggestions?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'd like to pose a question to get an idea of your thoughts on cake delivery. We'll be celebrating my husband's 40th birthday and our 15th wedding anniversary during our Feb 23-Mar 1 trip. We have ADRs for Liberty Tree, California Grill, Boma, Ohana, BOG and Biergarten. I'm thinking a mini wedding cake for our anniversary at California Grill but undecided about where to celebrate his birthday. Liberty Tree was my first thought but we'll be hitting rides etc. after dinner and I read that the restaurant won't hold the remaining cake. We'll be calling it a day after Ohana and BOG. Thoughts and suggestions?

Personally, I like 'Ohana for a birthday meal and I know plenty of people have had GF cakes delivered to their meals at the Poly. 'Ohana works well since the "cousin" doing the entertainment will have a special time during the seating where all those celebrating a birthday can get up with him to be acknowledged and get a special lei. I don't know the timing of your meal, but we like watching Wishes from the Poly beach after dining at 'Ohana.

Betsyboo

Personally, I like 'Ohana for a birthday meal and I know plenty of people have had GF cakes delivered to their meals at the Poly. 'Ohana works well since the "cousin" doing the entertainment will have a special time during the seating where all those celebrating a birthday can get up with him to be acknowledged and get a special lei. I don't know the timing of your meal, but we like watching Wishes from the Poly beach after dining at 'Ohana.
Thanks. Our reservation is 8:10. Not sure how that will work out for viewing Wishes. I'm thinking of another mini since from what I've read we'll be quite full after the meal. Maybe a beach themed mini. Now to start looking for ideas for both. I love reading this thread and looking at the cakes. Thanks so much!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks. Our reservation is 8:10. Not sure how that will work out for viewing Wishes. I'm thinking of another mini since from what I've read we'll be quite full after the meal. Maybe a beach themed mini. Now to start looking for ideas for both. I love reading this thread and looking at the cakes. Thanks so much!

Wishes will likely be at 8pm. Another mini-wedding cake or even just a cute mini cake might be best as 'Ohana is a lot of food. Alternately, the cake could be boxed after the meal. A good friend of mine got her daughter's sweet 16 cake at 'Ohana- they didn't eat a bite- so they drove home with it the next day.

janelove956

Home for the rest of the afternoon and have a few cake pics and ideas for you guys....

These first 4 - ARE NOT - Disney made cakes...BUT, they would be cute to try and incorporate into the popular Disney Mini Wedding cake size...

I love them all, but I'm particularly fond of the Sleeping Beauty one as I'm a sucker for any cake that incorporates the whole "make it pink!" - "NO, make it blue" - moments.

Next up is a lovely presentation from the AKL bakery...and they did this for just $45! They aren't as well known for their cakes, but cake sized zebra domes and animal themed cakes are big there...

2rf4t5k.jpg

The next one is more proof that cakes are finally being delivered to BOG. It's a dark pic, but it's a Rapunzel themed mini wedding cake. LOVE the sun detail on the top! This was a $50 cake...

2zgrv2c.jpg

We also have an Ariel and Prince Eric themed cake...$125 from the GF bakery.

20130830_145638_zpsbbdcd330.jpg

20130830_145609_zpsf90e8be5.jpg

20130830_145617_zps6af05c10.jpg

This last one @XD0290 is a good real life example of a screen print cake (vs the brochure). This was delivered to Tony's so it had to have been made by the Contemporary bakery and ordered through Magic Kingdom cakes. Unfortunately, no price was posted for it.

DSCF8454_zps27ffe019.jpg
Could this cake be delivered anywhere or its exclusive to AKL?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Could this cake be delivered anywhere or its exclusive to AKL?

I'm guessing you're looking at this one?
2rf4t5k.jpg

As far as I know, the zebra dome based cakes are exclusive to AKL. You could always call the hotline for your specific resort and see if they can accommodate you. Alternately, you could reach out the AKL bakery line and see if they could make one available for pick up. I don't know the odds of them saying yes, but it can't hurt to ask.

janelove956

I'm guessing you're looking at this one?
2rf4t5k.jpg

As far as I know, the zebra dome based cakes are exclusive to AKL. You could always call the hotline for your specific resort and see if they can accommodate you. Alternately, you could reach out the AKL bakery line and see if they could make one available for pick up. I don't know the odds of them saying yes, but it can't hurt to ask.
Very true =)
I'm asking because I've never had a zebra dome and being how they have quite a following I should try one.
Anyways, my sister and I will both be celebrating our birthdays our next vacation this June and since we absolutely love frozen we were thinking about maybe getting a cake with the sisters and olaf...I'm not sure yet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom