WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

OswaldTheRabbit

These are amazing!

Do you happen to know if you have ever come across an Oswald cake?

We are planning on ordering a cake for my DS birthday (6/7) for a special surprise Disney trip! We have never been away for his birthday.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
These are amazing!

Do you happen to know if you have ever come across an Oswald cake?

We are planning on ordering a cake for my DS birthday (6/7) for a special surprise Disney trip! We have never been away for his birthday.

This is the only cake I can recall seeing that has Oswald...

I think this Steamboat Willie cake concept could be translated well into something Oswald...
8626762554_764457803b.jpg

And while I haven't seen it done...and honestly don't know if they'd do what I have in mind...something based on the image below could make for a great 2D cake (read below for my idea)...

th

Since most of the cakes they do are rounds...the image above translates well to a round cake, but it might be kind of cool if the ears/arm/hand extend beyond the cake. i.e. everything inside that red circle is cake and then they do some kind of fondant/gumpaste cutout overlay so that those parts extend beyond the boundaries of the cake like they do in this picture. I just don't know if they'll do it- i.e. does it fall under their no character sculpting mandate.

And a final idea...if they can turn edible mouse ears like the ones below into Oswald ears...
8625654869_2d5c0c6b89.jpg

...maybe they can finish the cake off w/edible images of Oswald going around the outside...possibly even with a film border effect. Still not sure if they can transform them into Oswald ears though.

***If you like any of these ideas, but can't totally visualize it - I can try putting together a basic sketch and posting it. I've pitched enough cake concepts to friends and family that I know sometimes it goes over better with a pic. Let me know :)

OswaldTheRabbit

This is the only cake I can recall seeing that has Oswald...

I think this Steamboat Willie cake concept could be translated well into something Oswald...
8626762554_764457803b.jpg

And while I haven't seen it done...and honestly don't know if they'd do what I have in mind...something based on the image below could make for a great 2D cake (read below for my idea)...

th

Since most of the cakes they do are rounds...the image above translates well to a round cake, but it might be kind of cool if the ears/arm/hand extend beyond the cake. i.e. everything inside that red circle is cake and then they do some kind of fondant/gumpaste cutout overlay so that those parts extend beyond the boundaries of the cake like they do in this picture. I just don't know if they'll do it- i.e. does it fall under their no character sculpting mandate.

And a final idea...if they can turn edible mouse ears like the ones below into Oswald ears...
8625654869_2d5c0c6b89.jpg

...maybe they can finish the cake off w/edible images of Oswald going around the outside...possibly even with a film border effect. Still not sure if they can transform them into Oswald ears though.

***If you like any of these ideas, but can't totally visualize it - I can try putting together a basic sketch and posting it. I've pitched enough cake concepts to friends and family that I know sometimes it goes over better with a pic. Let me know :)
Thanks so much for the reply! They are great ideas! I am planning on calling them this week and I will let you know what they say. I love the film reel vintage one so maybe they can do that. Otherwise the others would be great too!

He loves Oswald so much that I made it my name on the site since it makes me smile!

I'll let you know what they say!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
How on earth did you do the mashed potatoes? It all looks so real! Great job!
Another awesome job on the steak cake! I wanna know how you did the mashed potatoes too!

Thanks!!!!!

The mashed potatoes were actually really easy. I built up the area with a pile of cake scraps and then made a buttercream with granulated sugar (vs. powdered) that's heavy on the sugar to give it that fluffy look. I pretty much just spooned it into place and hand formed a few extra peaks. the butter pat is a piece of fondant and the melted butter is from a tube of cookie frosting.

PolynesianPrincess

It's really nice. How much did that cost and how many people did it serve?

Surprisingly, it wasn't as expensive as we thought it would be. It was $35 and I believe it was 8 inches? Might have been 10. Either way we each had a piece of cake after dinner (there were 3 of us) and then we were eating cake for the rest of our trip and even took some home with us. They don't charge you when you order. Instead, they add it to your check wherever you're dining. And since we had Tables In Wonderland card, we got 20% off!! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I wanted to bring you a "mini" installment of WHAT'S INSIDE...

Mini b/c it's only a few pictures, but it's also devoted to the mini wedding cake. Some of the mini wedding cakes will look like any other cake when cut...

TBDAY_00017.JPG
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg

While others have this amazing filling to cake set up...
cake1_zps80af14b9.jpg

It's like a big pocket of filling goodness. :D Great cake to filling ratio in the 2nd example.

The example directly above was from the contemporary bakery and I know the GF bakery uses the same method. The first few cakes were from BW bakery...so be aware that the MK area resorts handle their mini wedding cake prep a bit differently than the Epcot area resorts.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Saw a new ToT & Haunted Mansion cakes today.

52B46D2C-DED4-4CF2-ADEC-C982BF750305-8724-00000BC923E58234_zpsf486ebd9.jpg

First time I can recall seeing this backdrop on an HM cake.

E2BDDCD8-8A44-4FF1-932B-0D452626814C-8724-00000BC68838DA46_zps9e184916.jpg

Also first time seeing the key detail on a ToT cake. Also looks like this one is primarily buttercream...when they are usually fondant.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A small (but in some ways huge) update on some of the copyright issues...

I had suggested a cake design to a person on another forum, but Chef Brian at the Contemporary would not budge...just said they were not permitted to do it. Pat at the GF initially said they could and said it would be no problem, but now she says that's all changed.

Supposedly, about 3 weeks ago Disney's legal area came down hard on what they could and could not do when it came to characters and Disney specific concepts for cakes. According to this woman's conversation with Pat, if there is any copyright or licensing matters with a particular character/attraction/image, etc. -that they can not use it in the cake design. Shockingly, this includes all kinds of things. The cake in question that can no longer be done was Rock N Roller Coaster themed, but the poster also noted things about Tink images and the color of Pluto's nose being big areas of limitation and contention. Considering we've also seen recent issues with Sophia, Rapunzel, Cars, etc.- I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty far reaching issue when it comes to characters and cakes. :(

alissafalco

A small (but in some ways huge) update on some of the copyright issues...

I had suggested a cake design to a person on another forum, but Chef Brian at the Contemporary would not budge...just said they were not permitted to do it. Pat at the GF initially said they could and said it would be no problem, but now she says that's all changed.

Supposedly, about 3 weeks ago Disney's legal area came down hard on what they could and could not do when it came to characters and Disney specific concepts for cakes. According to this woman's conversation with Pat, if there is any copyright or licensing matters with a particular character/attraction/image, etc. -that they can not use it in the cake design. Shockingly, this includes all kinds of things. The cake in question that can no longer be done was Rock N Roller Coaster themed, but the poster also noted things about Tink images and the color of Pluto's nose being big areas of limitation and contention. Considering we've also seen recent issues with Sophia, Rapunzel, Cars, etc.- I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty far reaching issue when it comes to characters and cakes. :(

Jeez....don't all the characters have a copyright and licensing?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Jeez....don't all the characters have a copyright and licensing?

I know- right!!?!?!?! I've already seen a good handful of people have their cake plans disrupted due to this new copyright crackdown...it makes me wonder if my own cake plans will get shot down. I'm sure a well paid Disney attorney could provide some convoluted and overly cautious reason they can't do this, but I just can't wrap my head around how Disney's own bakeries would be subject to such limitations. I guess I at least have back up plans to my 2 main cakes, but nobody wants to resort to back up plans because of copyright issues.

alissafalco

I know- right!!?!?!?! I've already seen a good handful of people have their cake plans disrupted due to this new copyright crackdown...it makes me wonder if my own cake plans will get shot down. I'm sure a well paid Disney attorney could provide some convoluted and overly cautious reason they can't do this, but I just can't wrap my head around how Disney's own bakeries would be subject to such limitations. I guess I at least have back up plans to my 2 main cakes, but nobody wants to resort to back up plans because of copyright issues.

I dont know something sounds very fishy about all of it :(

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I dont know something sounds very fishy about all of it :(

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense that Disney can't use some of their own images. I guess I just didn't think any of the character images would have to have specific inclusions in the copyrighting to be eligible for cake use. My cake orders don't need to be put in until early Sept, but I'm thinking of contacting the respective bakeries in July to see if I'm going to have any problems and need to use plan B.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
What issues are coming up? Sure hope it won't affect my plans either.

The particular cake was RnR related. In fact, I felt really bad about it b/c it was to be based on one of my design suggestions. The recipient was a big fan of the ride, but I guess is starting towards a degree in architecture...so the cake was to be covered in a blueprint for RnR. Contemporary refused from the getgo, but the GF said yes until now. I guess those blueprints are copyrighted...so with this new crackdown, the cake is now not possible ... at least not in the way she wanted.

So far I've seen copyright issues with Lightning McQueen, Rapunzel, Sophia the First, Merida, Tinkerbell, and Pluto. She specified that for Tink...it's just that they're now highly limited to certain images and Pluto's nose must be black (there were some images where he has a red nose- like Rudolph). BUT- it seems Pat at the GF said there are going to be wide ranges of copyright issues.

Considering all of this...it can't hurt to check that the discussed cake plans are still permitted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom