WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

MickeyLuv'r

I had a cake delivered to AKL in April. It was delivered to bell services. I asked for 5pm, and that was no problem. I think they had some flexibility in when they brought it, but preferred afternoon. Bell services can hold it in the fridge as long as needed. I ordered from the GF bakery. They were not able to deliver it to a hotel room.

The cake was pretty, and the bakery made it as they said they would. In my case, I needed a gluten free cake. so it was great they were able to do that! I requested fondant, and a chocolate character on top. The inner frosting was lemon flavor and the cake had some strawberries in with the middle layer of frosting.

In talking it over, there were significant limits on what the bakery could/would design. The current offerings seemed more limited than what they were able to make before the pandemic. (judging from images posted online.) The woman I worked with was very nice. She offered to make a cake with a 2D photo image of the characters as the cake topper ('printed' on a small square of edible white sugar) (as in post 1161), but that didn't appeal to us. I initially hoped to have a cake with a Jungle Cruise theme, but she said they were not able to craft animals or any other figures. They could not do a Lady and Tramp theme except as the 2D printed image. They do have a limited selection of chocolate figures, so I picked one of those.

I ordered a small round cake. It was a good height/tall and the chocolate figure was decent size. The cake was about 7inches, I think. It cost $230 with tax. The cake looked nice, but it was not the greatest tasting cake. Gluten-free cakes are a real challenge, and they often don't taste all that great. I am appreciative WDW was able to make a gluten-free cake at all, but we have had better tasting gluten-free cakes.

I'm glad I did it once, but next time we'll try an offsite FL bakery, maybe Erin Mc Kenna's for gluten-free cupcakes, or maybe we'll just go with some of the very tasty chocolates from the Ganachery in Disney Springs or the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium at Citywalk instead of cake.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
One thing I'll give the pandemic - the rise of small businesses in the Orlando area willing to deliver food/goodies to the theme park resorts. I frequently use the "Ear for Each Other" FB group and they have many cake/cookie/cupcake bakers that are much more affordable and flexible than Disney's bakers.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I had a cake delivered to AKL in April. It was delivered to bell services. I asked for 5pm, and that was no problem. I think they had some flexibility in when they brought it, but preferred afternoon. Bell services can hold it in the fridge as long as needed. I ordered from the GF bakery. They were not able to deliver it to a hotel room.

The cake was pretty, and the bakery made it as they said they would. In my case, I needed a gluten free cake. so it was great they were able to do that! I requested fondant, and a chocolate character on top. The inner frosting was lemon flavor and the cake had some strawberries in with the middle layer of frosting.

In talking it over, there were significant limits on what the bakery could/would design. The current offerings seemed more limited than what they were able to make before the pandemic. (judging from images posted online.) The woman I worked with was very nice. She offered to make a cake with a 2D photo image of the characters as the cake topper ('printed' on a small square of edible white sugar) (as in post 1161), but that didn't appeal to us. I initially hoped to have a cake with a Jungle Cruise theme, but she said they were not able to craft animals or any other figures. They could not do a Lady and Tramp theme except as the 2D printed image. They do have a limited selection of chocolate figures, so I picked one of those.

I ordered a small round cake. It was a good height/tall and the chocolate figure was decent size. The cake was about 7inches, I think. It cost $230 with tax. The cake looked nice, but it was not the greatest tasting cake. Gluten-free cakes are a real challenge, and they often don't taste all that great. I am appreciative WDW was able to make a gluten-free cake at all, but we have had better tasting gluten-free cakes.

I'm glad I did it once, but next time we'll try an offsite FL bakery, maybe Erin Mc Kenna's for gluten-free cupcakes, or maybe we'll just go with some of the very tasty chocolates from the Ganachery in Disney Springs or the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium at Citywalk instead of cake.

We've only been once since the Covid reopening, but I would agree that cake ordering and options just aren't what they were. The cake thread on "the other site" hasn't had nearly as many cakes posted, those that have been posted are (for the most part) more simplistic than pre-pandemic cakes, and I've seen a number of people feeling like the cost increase isn't worth it. While most of us are familiar with Disney inflation, cake prices have really soared. While there were hopes that people would be rehired as business improved, it seems that they're still operating with scaled back staffing for bakery products.

I have never had a Disney bakery made GF cake. I've baked a few myself and it's not easy. I also had to lower my expectations on taste and texture. What I've made isn't any better or worse than what I've had at Erin McKenna, but it still takes some getting used to. Still, you're probably good in skipping it with the Disney bakeries next time around. I don't have it anymore, but shortly after the July 2020 reopening, a list was floating around with pandemic impacted Disney employees who had started up personal businesses to get by. I recall that there were a number of Disney cake decorators on that list...and several offered allergy friendly baked goods. I have done some digging and can't find it, but it may be worth looking around, as I recall some of the work being really great. They also are no longer bound by the limitations set by Disney with what they can and can't do with a cake.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
One thing I'll give the pandemic - the rise of small businesses in the Orlando area willing to deliver food/goodies to the theme park resorts. I frequently use the "Ear for Each Other" FB group and they have many cake/cookie/cupcake bakers that are much more affordable and flexible than Disney's bakers.

Maybe that's it! I was thinking it was a list posted online, but maybe it morphed into Ear for Each Other. The name sounds really familiar and I do recall some kind of FB presence with whatever I'd seen. @MickeyLuv'r - this may be what you want to check out for GF cake alternatives next time.

MickeyLuv'r

Maybe that's it! I was thinking it was a list posted online, but maybe it morphed into Ear for Each Other. The name sounds really familiar and I do recall some kind of FB presence with whatever I'd seen. @MickeyLuv'r - this may be what you want to check out for GF cake alternatives next time.
I looked at that list before I ordered. The food allergy was one reason I chose a WDW bakery, but I also wanted the cake to be a surprise. I thought having the cake come officially from WDW would make that easier.

As it happens, bell services called the room and left a message. When we arrived back at the room, our hotel phone light was blinking, and the voicemail said we had a delivery item waiting. When I placed the order, I told the bakery I wanted the whole thing to be a surprise, but I didn't communicate that directly to bell services.

When ordering, I had also assumed the cake box would have some logo indicating that it had come from the Grand Floridian, but it arrived in a completely plain white box. So that also surprised me as well. It would have made a better gift if it had come in a box that indicated it was from a WDW bakery.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It appears that I never shared my January 2020 or February 2021 cakes...well, at least not on this thread.

January 2020

My friend and I went to WDW for Marathon week. I decided to surprise her with an Alice in Wonderland/running inspired cake. We both ran as various characters from the book/film, so I went with a running White Rabbit image topper. I can't remember costs, but I do remember thinking it was around or more than what I paid for a couple of the 6" fancy cakes I'd ordered in the past. I believe it was basic vanilla.

1686664824362.png
1686664842842.png

1686664895222.png
1686664860894.png

The next three cakes were from February 2021. A lot was still shuttered at this point and we were still required to mask in the parks. We were staying at BWV, but had to order the cakes through the GF for delivery to the BWI desk. I remember there being some confusion with cake arrival. I was given a delivery time (something like 7pm) by the GF and wanted it to be a surprise, but when I checked at the desk...they had nothing. They called over to the GF, but were waiting to hear back. It went on late enough that I had to tell everyone why they were gathered in our suite. I eventually got a call from the front desk informing me that they had been delivered early and they just weren't aware that they had cakes in their holding area. It was approaching 8:30pm when it was resolved. There were two vanilla and one chocolate. I think the chocolate was the better cake and the treasure chest/coins tested better than the cakes. The numbers were white chocolate. All of them were sweating quite a bit and there was some shifting in transit. I want to say these were around $50 each. They were on the plain side compared to previous cakes, but still some nice little touches for the people we were celebrating.

1686665523373.png

1686665535394.png
1686665547853.png
1686665585068.png
1686665566111.png
1686665616485.png

I wish I could have just done one big cake, but I like personalization and they won't combine different storylines on a singular cake.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I looked at that list before I ordered. The food allergy was one reason I chose a WDW bakery, but I also wanted the cake to be a surprise. I thought having the cake come officially from WDW would make that easier.

As it happens, bell services called the room and left a message. When we arrived back at the room, our hotel phone light was blinking, and the voicemail said we had a delivery item waiting. When I placed the order, I told the bakery I wanted the whole thing to be a surprise, but I didn't communicate that directly to bell services.

When ordering, I had also assumed the cake box would have some logo indicating that it had come from the Grand Floridian, but it arrived in a completely plain white box. So that also surprised me as well. It would have made a better gift if it had come in a box that indicated it was from a WDW bakery.

If you look at my post above, I also ran into issues with cake delivery and surprises.

Yeah...it's just a basic white cake box. While not gluten free, I can say that Amorette's has really nice cake boxes. I failed to take a pic of ours, but it kind of reminded me of an old hat box.

MickeyLuv'r

If you look at my post above, I also ran into issues with cake delivery and surprises.

Yeah...it's just a basic white cake box. While not gluten free, I can say that Amorette's has really nice cake boxes. I failed to take a pic of ours, but it kind of reminded me of an old hat box.
I've never ordered a big cake from there, but their smaller treats are always nicely wrapped. The chocolate emporium at Universal also wraps their macarons in a themed box. Generally, our local mom and pop bake shops do too. Labeled boxes = advertising.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've never ordered a big cake from there, but their smaller treats are always nicely wrapped. The chocolate emporium at Universal also wraps their macarons in a themed box. Generally, our local mom and pop bake shops do too. Labeled boxes = advertising.

I was digging through old pics and found one of the Amorette’s box. I guess I did take one. Like you said… advertising!

IMG_6460.jpeg

I honestly think that Disney has mixed feelings on the custom cake business. Even before the pandemic, it felt like they were trying to scale back and make things more difficult. So, maybe they intentionally keep the boxes basic.

piglet21

After a long hiatus from the boards I am back and have 2 more lovely cakes to share with you all :) Both done by Grand Floridian Bakery!

First up is from January 2022 for our daughter's 2nd birthday - Anna and Elsa were both broken upon delivery to Saratoga Springs... I was bummed but was able to melt the white chocolate and get them to somewhat stick back together. Regardless it was beautiful and those macarons were DELISH. This one was right around $200 I believe including delivery.

2ndBday.JPG

Next up is from January 2023. This time we were staying at the Poly so I opted to just pick the cake up from the Grand Floridian myself so that if anything broke I'd just be mad at myself lol. Rory requested Jack Skellington riding her favorite teacup from Mad Tea Party (the pink one) and the Grand delivered!!! This thing was MASSIVE and was right around $300 I believe.

3rdBday.jpg

piglet21

@piglet21 while those cakes are lovely...those prices are ridiculous. Yikes. I hope there were as good as the price :)
I did some digging lol - frozen was $180 and jack was $240 so not as bad as I originally thought but still very expensive. They were both delicious! If I can find a picture of the box jack came in I think that’ll show just how big it was - it was absolutely massive! The $240 seemed reasonable for the size and fondant work but I definitely think frozen was overpriced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom