WDW with a 20.5 month old

mikejs78

Premium Member
Original Poster
So we just had our last trip in April of this year. It was the first with DS at 10 months old, and our older son who was 7 years old. Originally we were thinking our next trip would be a few years out, but this past trip we got bitten by the Disney bug and are now thinking about a trip in Feb, when our younger DS will be 20.5 months. Now, currently he is 16 months and we can't imagine taking him to WDW - he is running everywhere, and a handful. We have heard from friends that after 18 months it gets easier. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of taking a child at that age and if it's doable, or if we are crazy for even considering it. Our 8 year old has been talking about nothing but Disney since we got back, so we'd really like to go for him. Any advice here would be appreciated.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
There's a reason why they call them "The Terrible Twos."

You should re-think your plan until he hits 36 to 42 months.

nickys

Premium Member
So we just had our last trip in April of this year. It was the first with DS at 10 months old, and our older son who was 7 years old. Originally we were thinking our next trip would be a few years out, but this past trip we got bitten by the Disney bug and are now thinking about a trip in Feb, when our younger DS will be 20.5 months. Now, currently he is 16 months and we can't imagine taking him to WDW - he is running everywhere, and a handful. We have heard from friends that after 18 months it gets easier. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of taking a child at that age and if it's doable, or if we are crazy for even considering it. Our 8 year old has been talking about nothing but Disney since we got back, so we'd really like to go for him. Any advice here would be appreciated.

You would have to change your style of touring the parks. My nephew just got back from his first visit, with grandparents as well; he’s about 16 months. We have gorgeous pics of him on all the kiddie rides, walking down Main St with granddad, watching the parade etc. Parents and grandparents have been several times before, but not for a few years.

They stuck to the kiddie rides when they were with him, and each had time on their own to hit the bigger stuff. But whilst in the parks, the only time they used a stroller was when he needed to nap! He really is a bundle of energy.

So I would look to plan time as a family where you do the kiddie friendly stuff, and use rider swap where there are things nearby to keep his interest. But also plan time, maybe a couple of hours each day where the oldest can be with Mum or Dad on his own to do stuff without the toddler. We actually did this on each visit with our boys, even though they were 6 and 10 when we first went. Tour together, then separate and meet up later, be it back at the resort or somewhere in the park.

If that doesn’t sound do-able for your family, then maybe leave it another year or two. But with that age gap, you may find that strategy works well for several years.

Marianm

I took my son at 13months. He was ok but got sick while there.
I took my daughter when she was 2 and my son was then 4. She also got sick while there.
Last year they were 4&6 and it went pretty well.
It's definitely doable to take a toddler, just be flexible with plans since you never know what mood they'll be in while there :)

MotherofaPrincessLover

That is about the exact age my son was on our last trip (you can see him in my avatar). I didn't know how we would be because he's a handful (and that is saying it very politely). He was awesome on the trip. He had a blast and was well behaved. The trip definitely won't be "easy" but it's worth it.

Yellow Shoes

Do you have the option of leaving the younger one at home?
I can see a quite memorable trip with just the 8 year old who is a perfect age--he has stamina for the walking, can do all the rides, and is really REALLY pumped for the trip. I'm sure the older one would appreciate not having (for once) to accommodate the younger one's tantrums and nap schedule.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Try it out. Get your DS used to being in a stroller or carrier for long periods of time. My DD is now 18.5 months. She will be 20.5 months when we go. Aside from the attractions and dining, her time outside a stroller/carrier will be limited. She is definitely testing the limits of her independence. We first took our DS when he turned 2 in the middle of June, and he was a breeze.

Club Cooloholic

I can see a quite memorable trip with just the 8 year old who is a perfect age--he has stamina for the walking, can do all the rides, and is really REALLY pumped for the trip. I'm sure the older one would appreciate not having (for once) to accommodate the younger one's tantrums and nap schedule.
Am I going to guess you don't have kids?

Club Cooloholic

Ok, I do have to laugh at the very specific 20.5 number :) Halfway through the trip will he be 20.55? Anyway go for it, we have taken from 15 months up and while 2 is hard as long as you are willing to take breaks where he can just run around you will be fine. I suggest you rent or bring a good double stroller. Why a double? Because it gives your 8 year old a place to sit, he might want to be lugged around a bit, and if nothing else keep you stuff on the one side. You can see and do a lot when the 2 year old naps, just be willing to take turns going with the 8 year old, and staying with the 2 year old when the ride is not appropriate or the 2 year old needs to chill or play. Some places this is easier than others. I think AK is the best because you can go to the dino playground or just walk and look at the animials. HS used to have the Honey I shrunk the kids playground, did anything replace that? That one was THE BEST(had some small water features, and was shady)

Gitson Shiggles

We had planned a trip to experience MNSSHP with just our then 8 year-old. We had people lined up to watch our DD for the weekend. It upset DS to think of leaving his 7 month old sister behind. So we brought her.

Gitson Shiggles

Ok, I do have to laugh at the very specific 20.5 number :) Halfway through the trip will he be 20.55? Anyway go for it, we have taken from 15 months up and while 2 is hard as long as you are willing to take breaks where he can just run around you will be fine. I suggest you rent or bring a good double stroller. Why a double? Because it gives your 8 year old a place to sit, he might want to be lugged around a bit, and if nothing else keep you stuff on the one side. You can see and do a lot when the 2 year old naps, just be willing to take turns going with the 8 year old, and staying with the 2 year old when the ride is not appropriate or the 2 year old needs to chill or play. Some places this is easier than others. I think AK is the best because you can go to the dino playground or just walk and look at the animials. HS used to have the Honey I shrunk the kids playground, did anything replace that? That one was THE BEST(had some small water features, and was shady)

Nothing built in TSL has the functionality of a playground. Ironically, that’s the shadiest thing about TSL by far.

Yellow Shoes

Am I going to guess you don't have kids?
I do —3 of them. No one went before age 5.
No strollers, when kid needed to stop we all needed a break anyway, we could reason/bargain them out of a tantrum, and they aren't scared of the characters and still "believe."

And...I gotta tell you...we love all of our children, but it is special when we experience them one at a time.
I promise this will be memorable for everyone--and the little one won't know the difference unless you talk about it all the time.

Last edited:

ColinP29

1, you DS is 1!!!

aliceismad

There's a reason why they call them "The Terrible Twos."

You should re-think your plan until he hits 36 to 42 months.
I completely disagree with this. My daughter was great at 2 and started getting attitude at 3. Apparently "threenager" is a thing. I have plenty of parent friends whose kids skipped terrible twos. It completely depends on the kid.

We did just two short days at WDW when my daughter was 2, and it was fantastic. We did take a stroller for her to nap in and ride in when her little legs got tired. There were lots of places at AK where she could play and be silly. MK was a little busier, but all the things kept her occupied. We just went at her pace. Now we're going back when she'll be 5, and this will probably be our only trip for several years.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Original Poster
1, you DS is 1!!!
There's a huge difference between a child who just turned 1 (12 months), an 18 month old, and a 2 year old. It's customary to speak of child ages in months up to age 2 because of this.

For example, I could not even imagine taking my DS to Disney at 12 months. Even when I wrote the OP a few weeks ago I was skeptical. But the amount of growth and development I've seen in the last 4 months, and even the last month, makes me think that a trip might be doable.

ColinP29

There's a huge difference between a child who just turned 1 (12 months), an 18 month old, and a 2 year old. It's customary to speak of child ages in months up to age 2 because of this.

For example, I could not even imagine taking my DS to Disney at 12 months. Even when I wrote the OP a few weeks ago I was skeptical. But the amount of growth and development I've seen in the last 4 months, and even the last month, makes me think that a trip might be doable.

Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right

mikejs78

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right
I'm guessing you've never parented a 1 year old. Speaking in months conveys the relative level of development at this age. A 20 month old is *very* different from a 1 month old. Which is why I asked the question in this way because I wanted to get a feel for how a child at 20 most of development could do at Disney from others who have brought kids of similar ages.

And what's "right" here anyways? This isn't some black and white thing like '2+2=4 vs 2+2=5', or whether or not the closing of Horizons was the biggest mistake Disney ever made. Objectively speaking, my DS will be 20 mos old when we travel. He will also be 1 year old. If I decide to reference his age in months rather than years to get a bit more relevant info from people on this board, what's it to you?

Seriously, some people need to just relax a little.

jaklgreen

We started taking our girls when the youngest was 17 months old(they are 13 months apart). We had no problem with 2 toddlers. We kept them in the stroller for the most part and took plenty of breaks for them to stretch their legs. We did not do rope drop but let them sleep until they woke up naturally so they would not be cranky. No matter what age you take your kids you have to make sure that they are rested and well fedGo at their pace and take plenty of breaks, not only for the physical aspect but for the mental one too. It is amazing how spending some time watching the ducks can refresh a cranky child. The problem I see a lot of parents make is to not pay attention to the signs your child is giving you. You can tell by looking at their behavior if they are tired or scared or hungry.

correcaminos

Mine was a little younger... 17 or 18 months but it was doable. We actually had a blast! We just keep to a regular schedule like at home and didn't plan a whole lot. That said my child never really was horrible during 2 or 3 (which supposedly is worse than 2) so we might've been lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom