WDW vs DLR vs TDL...Um, guess who wins?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Well well well. I leave for a bit and the whole doom and gloom monotony gets kicked up a notch Emeril style.

BAM!!!

Jimmy's back from Japan for a couple days to pick up the rest of my family to return to the land of the rising sun. Whats Japan like?

Its different.

No Jimmy, whats the Tokyo Disneyland resort like.

Ah, now we're talkin.

This just might open some eyes, and some just might not like it.

Now, first off, you have to remember, my home is WDW, its the showstopper, the crown jewel, the one from which all others are judged. TDL is...

Small.

Seriously, its small and packed with people. All the time. Everyday. Don't like waiting 60 minutes for Peter Pan at WDW, even though you really only wait 30? Peter Pan at TDL is ALWAYS 2 hours, and its a legit 2 hours. All the times at both Tokyo Disney parks have LEGIT wait times to what is posted. Plus every ride, I repeat, EVERY RIDE has a wait.

Want more bad news?

You can wait an hour, in line, just to get into the parks itself. I kid you not. More? They have queues to wait in line to buy popcorn. Yes, you can wait hours to but popcorn, and get this, the popcorn is terrible. First off they have "flavored" popcorn to go along with the butter standard. They have seaweed flavored popcorn, and its terrible. They had lime flavored popcorn. Lime...But the worst thing is, the popcorn has this nasty saccharine diet soda style aftertaste. Even the butter popcorn has this chemical flavor thingy to it. And sadly, the rest of the food they serve in the parks, very expensive mind you, is not much better. Bring your own food of hit any restaurant outside the parks here. Trust me.

Wait a second Jimmy, these parks are what WDW used to be, they are run perfectly, Disney should let the Oriental Land Company run WDW...

Woah, says Fonzie.

Here is some Mythbusters type myth busting for you. Take it or leave it.

The parks are no better than WDW or DLR. They are not freshly painted everyday, with perfect effects on every attraction. If you actually believe this, you're kidding yourself. If people say they went to TDL and say this, they are lying. Guess what, you can find burnt out light bulbs and chipped paint a plenty here, yes, I looked because I believed the hype, and the hype was wrong.

Splash Mountain anyone? Yes, it has issues, its not in perfect condition with brand new looking like animatronics like some would want you to believe. Jumping Briar Rabbit? He was stuck in mid jump. It was like I was living the Twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith had that pocket watch that stopped time and stopped Briar. The second time we passed him, because I just couldn't believe it you know, I swear I saw a silhouette of a hand pressing down on the watch in the corner of my minds eye.

Fail.

Speaking of fails, Disneysea anyone?

No, its not that bad, it is nice and themed well, but its really only a half day park, and even that is stretching it quite a bit. It becomes a full day park because all the rides have 3 hour wait times. Really. It took me three days to do all the rides because unlike WDW, ot DLR for that matter, I don't like waiting that long. The Japanese have no issues with this, but an American like me, no thanks.

The legendary Journey to the center of the earth? Nice ride, kinda Test Trackish, but its good even if you don't know Japanese.

Tower of Terror? Garbage. Not even in the same class as WDW or DRL for that matter. Different story, different packaging, 2 and a half out of four.

20k under the sea? Here is a shocker, no not really, but the subs always seem to have a manageable wait, like 30 to 40 minutes, and here is why. The ride stinks. I hope I don't upset people but there is a reason the subs are gone at WDW, the ride is terrible, even the Japanese think so.

DisneySea, its a heck of a lot smaller than you think, but if the waits were better, it would be a fun park.

My overall impression of the TDL is its extremely overrated, especially by people who feel the need to rip how WDW is being run. Its still Disney mind you, but with a Asian flair, go figure, but to say its the blueprint on how to run a Disney branded park is completely absurd. People making statements like that are lying, pure and simple.

Its easy to think the grass is greener, but you really don't know how good you have it.

Disneyland?

I've been here before, its still the same. Not this perfect shining star of the theme park world in perfect condition, but its nicer to me that TDL. Carsland lives up to the hype, its spectacular, as is World of Color. I only stayed 2 days and really needed 2 more. Best Pirates in the world.

So to sum this up, WDW is still king.

Take away the internet hype. Take away the angry fanboi politics. Put all the resorts in front of you and guess what, you're still going to choose WDW.

Like it or not, Iam totally right.

Jimmy Thick- Leaving in two days for Japan, if you're heading there drop me a PM, I would love to be proven wrong about my opinion.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Wait a second, wait a second...

Iam half asleep here, but here is the best part, I have pics for all of this, and they will be posted...

But only on my podcast. :)

Due to the language used on the show, I will not post a link to it, but if you PM me and are mature enough to handle some offensive language used, I'll be happy to provide you a link.

Jimmy Thick- Shameless plug, sorry Steve.

alissafalco

Very interesting. Did you go during a very high time there? I don't know about Japanese holidays etc., but is it possible you went at a very busy time? So you really like WDW better than DL and TDL?

Matt_Black

Very interesting. Did you go during a very high time there? I don't know about Japanese holidays etc., but is it possible you went at a very busy time? So you really like WDW better than DL and TDL?

I believe that around this time, there is something going on in Japan. This is the time of year the new Pokemon games get released, much like how here in the states, the newest Call of Duty game drops right before Thanksgiving.

Cmdr_Crimson

One thing I find unique about TDL resort is that they are open During snowstorms...And being a midwesterner this would be nothing but awesome to see..
Snow04-600x398.jpg

tdlsnow.jpg

snow-covered-haunted.jpg
gallery006.jpg

FettFan

1. It's Br'er Rabbit, not "Briar Rabbit". Contracted form of "Brother", based on the 1800s African-American dialect.

2. Comparing 20k at DisneySea to WDW's 20k (or DLs Sub Voyage) is a fallacy, as it is a completely different ride system. WDW and DL used actual boats in water, while DisneySea uses hanging cars on a track in a series of darkened rooms, like a cross between Horizons and Tron Track, but not as good as either.

3. DL might have the original Pirates, but Disneyland Paris is universally agreed to have the best incarnation of the ride. It's got extra scenes, three drops, and is the only one that hasn't been Depp-ified.

4. Say what you will about TDS' "Journey to the Center of the Earth". At least in that ride when the lava monster breaks down, he gets fixed. I haven't once heard of them merely throwing a strobe light on him then calling it a day. For seven years.

FettFan - Because sacred cows make the worst baloney.

Last edited:

deix15x8

Don't know the exact dates he went but according to the DVC charts until March 1st was a value period and then Match 2nd to the 15th is a Regular season and then March 16th until May is a Peak season. So he likely went during a regular season period.

sweetpee_1993

One thing I find unique about TDL resort is that they are open During snowstorms...And being a midwesterner this would be nothing but awesome to see..
Snow04-600x398.jpg

tdlsnow.jpg

snow-covered-haunted.jpg
gallery006.jpg
I. Would. Die. Seriously. I'd die. First, I'm a (deep) Southern girl to the core. Snow is just freaky. But to put it in a Disney park, to have the white stuff coming down like that....I wouldn't know what to do. I'd leave, find someplace indoors, and wait for it to go away. LOL! Sad, huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom