WDW Vacationer Uses iPhone to Catch a Crook

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know, but this story seems a bit improbable to me. There are just some details that make me think, really?

I would think a criminal wants to get away ASAP and is not going to take the time to use the debit card to purchase an arcade card.

It is a male criminal...why would the bag be found in the womens room? Unless, I guess, if he had a partner.

Why would the criminal head into the Magic Kingdom instead of the parking lot?

Can someone really get to the front desk to get a new key printed and back to their room in time to catch the criminal on the dock? Again, the crook would want to leave as quick as he could.

It is a great story... but I think it might be just that; a story. What a great advertisement for that app though!
You are working off the assumption that criminals like this are smart. The reality is that most are as dumb as a box of rocks. They tend to be just bright enough to grab your stuff when no one is looking and that is where their skill set ends.

I would agree about the times though. Perceived time tends to be way off from reality and the stress of the situation really compounds that error. If I had to guess the process of getting a new key, going to the room, looking up his phone and getting to the dock would take about 20-30 minutes.

britdaw

Wow, what an amazing story! That's incredible... I do think the timeline might be a little bit off since I can't imagine anyone could run to the front desk to get a new key, run up to their room, get on the internet, and THEN still make it to the boat dock all within 3 minutes. LOL But still, it's a great story and a great reason to have that app!

degunter

3 Minutes

Wow, what an amazing story! That's incredible... I do think the timeline might be a little bit off since I can't imagine anyone could run to the front desk to get a new key, run up to their room, get on the internet, and THEN still make it to the boat dock all within 3 minutes. LOL But still, it's a great story and a great reason to have that app!

The 2-3 minutes was just how long it took him to run from his room to the boat docks AFTER he had located the phone online.

It may have been 10-15 minutes to do everything else and the thief during that time was probably playing in the arcade, thinking there was no reason to be in a hurry and he might as well blend in...

They guys booking information is online with the Orange County Sheriff's Department and is online... I do not think the story is "just a story".

Seems like it would be a lot of work to write the blog, create a fake news story on YouTube and arresst record...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27312126/detail.html

zimmer-man

Original Poster
I do not think the story is "just a story".

Seems like it would be a lot of work to write the blog, create a fake news story on YouTube and arresst record...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27312126/detail.html

Wouldn't it be illegal or something to just make up a story or even embellish on things like that? Especially if the news showed a picture and name of the guy? I mean its a great story - but I dont think he's making it up..

janoimagine

Sorry, label me a cynic...but I don't believe this was not all staged. Too long winded and story book like to ever happen in real life.

Look at the trail:

OP – has 1 post to bring this incredible story to this board, really?
Said victim was not smart enough to leave valuables locked safely in room but thought enough to purchase a $100 app and LOCKED both his and wife’s expensive iPhones, really? Hey honey, let's lock our phones with the warning message IN CASE WE GET RIPPED OFF... Really?

I feel a bit dumber for even reading the whole story...

Disagree, real life criminals are about as dumb as they get, not all are like George Clooney or Brad Bit from the Oceans Movies.

I know for one I am a little lax in personal security at Disney, it has a way of lulling you into a false sense of security while you are there. I would not have thought twice about having my items with me at the pool, the WL is a higher priced resort, and by that rationale you would think you would have decent, honest people in the resort as well, but apparently not.

Seems to me this guy is really sticking his neck out for no reason if his story has been fabricated, it would be a very foolish risk on his part. I can attest first hand that the iphone software is great, a friend of mine uses it to keep tabs on his teenagers. :D

Mickey is King

Wouldn't it be illegal or something to just make up a story or even embellish on things like that? Especially if the news showed a picture and name of the guy? I mean its a great story - but I dont think he's making it up..

I ahve to agree with you on this........ ALL amusement parks including WDW & DL have pick-pockets/theives and such, if you think they don't, you had better lay off the Kool-aid for a bit.

Observation: Some people here have nothing better to do than cut down other posters (unless you are part of their little "group") I think some of them have been here to long and think they own the place.

I could do an entire new thread on this if i wanted- the material is there.
Hey, everone can be a tool from time to time (myself included), but some of you are really overboard..... If you have taken offense to this, your probably one of them, I could mention screen names,but I won't.....

Feel free to rip on me if you like, I don't really care :wave::wave:..... I like it but, the boards are not my life.

blm07

I don't care where in the world you are, you don't leave a bag with your wallets and expensive phones alone anywhere in public.

greebomusic

I use a free app for my android called Lookout Mobile Security that can do all the same things mentioned in the article and more. A wonderful app.!

ddbowdoin

what a story... BUT, we all must remember one thing. Every application is only protected if you lock your phone with a password. If I, and I say this only in theory since I am not nor will I ever be a thief, stole an iPhone I would instantly have gone into the phone and disengaged all tracking features. It's pretty easy... and this guy is lucky that this thief wasn't a tech savy guy.

forevermickey

Really shocked that this happened at the WL. I would love to know if this guy was just some local, or if he was a guest on property. Curious.
That was my first thought, was he staying at the hotel and if he wasn't a resort guest in any of the properties why was he allowed to get into the property?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That was my first thought, was he staying at the hotel and if he wasn't a resort guest in any of the properties why was he allowed to get into the property?
Anyone can pretty much get into any resort on property. Due to the restaurants, open access to the resorts is pretty much essential.

Mikey73181

Sorry, label me a cynic...but I don't believe this was not all staged. Too long winded and story book like to ever happen in real life.

Look at the trail:

OP – has 1 post to bring this incredible story to this board, really?
Said victim was not smart enough to leave valuables locked safely in room but thought enough to purchase a $100 app and LOCKED both his and wife’s expensive iPhones, really? Hey honey, let's lock our phones with the warning message IN CASE WE GET RIPPED OFF... Really?

I feel a bit dumber for even reading the whole story...

I dont think it was meant that he locked the phones with the messege before it got stolen, i think with that app he was able to lock the phone when he went online to find where it was. I also have that Lookout app on my Droid, and if mine gets stolen, or if I just cant find it, all i have to do is go to the website, sign in, and then I can lock it if its stolen, or if I just lost it in my house or whatever, I can activate a loud beeping noise, even if the phone is on silent or turned off.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
The reporter mentioned the software used to access the "find my iphone" app was $100.

It's worth noting that the "Find my iphone" app is now free to use if you have iOS 4.2 or higher installed on your iphone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

The app used to only be available to subscribers of Apple's MobileMe service, which costs $100/year.

Glad to see he got his stuff back and Disney take care of them.

ONLY if you have an iPhone 4. Us 3GS users got the shaft on that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom