WDW Vacationer Uses iPhone to Catch a Crook

zimmer-man

Original Poster
I have been fascinated with a story that's hitting the web the past couple of days about a WDW vacationer who had his iphones, wallets, cash, credit cards and camera stolen but got all of it back after pursuing the crook by using his iphone's "find my iphone" app. This is stuff you'd see in a movie! :p

Check out his story at http://www.davelongstrethmusic.com/?p=121

nolatron

The reporter mentioned the software used to access the "find my iphone" app was $100.

It's worth noting that the "Find my iphone" app is now free to use if you have iOS 4.2 or higher installed on your iphone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

The app used to only be available to subscribers of Apple's MobileMe service, which costs $100/year.

Glad to see he got his stuff back and Disney take care of them.

janoimagine

Really shocked that this happened at the WL. I would love to know if this guy was just some local, or if he was a guest on property. Curious.

My favorite part is that they were able to search the bag going through bag check, since EVERYONE is searched upon entry into the park, and that the guy had the awesome idea of locking the iphone, displaying a message, and then setting off the alarm on the phone....the look on the thief's face had to be pure shock!

Alexx

My favourite part is that the guy had the cheek to spend $25 at the arcade on the card!
But wow, what a story man, that really is incredible.

TP2000

The same goes for any WDW resort really, not just WL.

Quite true. And he was moving on to the Magic Kingdom to rifle through strollers and such before he headed home somewhere in Orlando, after a full day's work at WDW.

Nice work on this guy doing most of the legwork for Disney and giving them an airtight case for when there was finally someone there who had the "authority" to search the bad guy's bag.

Ciciwoowoo

I don't know, but this story seems a bit improbable to me. There are just some details that make me think, really?

I would think a criminal wants to get away ASAP and is not going to take the time to use the debit card to purchase an arcade card.

It is a male criminal...why would the bag be found in the womens room? Unless, I guess, if he had a partner.

Why would the criminal head into the Magic Kingdom instead of the parking lot?

Can someone really get to the front desk to get a new key printed and back to their room in time to catch the criminal on the dock? Again, the crook would want to leave as quick as he could.

It is a great story... but I think it might be just that; a story. What a great advertisement for that app though!

GMRO

Sorry, label me a cynic...but I don't believe this was not all staged. Too long winded and story book like to ever happen in real life.

Look at the trail:

OP – has 1 post to bring this incredible story to this board, really?
Said victim was not smart enough to leave valuables locked safely in room but thought enough to purchase a $100 app and LOCKED both his and wife’s expensive iPhones, really? Hey honey, let's lock our phones with the warning message IN CASE WE GET RIPPED OFF... Really?

I feel a bit dumber for even reading the whole story...

Phonedave

I don't know, but this story seems a bit improbable to me. There are just some details that make me think, really?

I would think a criminal wants to get away ASAP and is not going to take the time to use the debit card to purchase an arcade card.

It is a male criminal...why would the bag be found in the womens room? Unless, I guess, if he had a partner.

Can someone really get to the front desk to get a new key printed and back to their room in time to catch the criminal on the dock? Again, the crook would want to leave as quick as he could.

It is a great story... but I think it might be just that; a story. What a great advertisement for that app though!

I was thinking the same things. A great story, but either embellished or a very stupid crook. The guy was planning to enter the MK with a bag with a number of cell phones in it? I would think that should set off some warning bells. If WDW security was on the ball (thats a debate for another thread), if I am on bag check and a single man enters the parks and he is carrying a bag with 5 or 6 cell phones in it, I will place a call to an undercover and have him shadow the guy.

And while nobody should have their stuff stolen, and we should all be able to leave anything laying around, this qoute is pretty telling

"The day after the event occurred, we went swimming again – but this time we only took one room key and no valuables. Lesson learned."

I do take my cell to the pool, but I keep it on me when I am swimming. I have talked about this product many time - Aloksac. They are like zip-loc bags, but are Mil-spec waterproof pouches. Phone, some cash, and the room key goes in one, and that goes in a zippered or velcro pocket on my bathing suit. If somone wants to steal what ever book I am reading that I leave on my chair, well thats pretty sucky, but my other stuff is with me.

degunter

I think real life is that stupid... everything you describe is what would happen in the movies or on TV.

Makes me want to take a bag and fill it will some type of chemical so that when the thief stuck his hand in the bad would instantly suffer from Chemical Burns...

GMRO

I think real life is that stupid... everything you describe is what would happen in the movies or on TV.

Makes me want to take a bag and fill it will some type of chemical so that when the thief stuck his hand in the bad would instantly suffer from Chemical Burns...

C-mon, in the happiest place on earth?!?! ;) That sounds harsh... heheheh

Crime takes no vacation. I'm sure WDW does what it can to keep the grounds as safe as possible. But WE all have to take personal responsibility and just be smarter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom