WDW Tripod Rules

afb28

Original Poster
Not sure if warranted but figured we could use this if we have trouble getting in or got in just fine with tripods after these updated rules.

I have a manfrotto 055xprob (about 30" with head) and I put it on a backpack that sits on the side and since the rule change it has made me nervous about taking it. I may go tomorrow but haven't decided yet. Don't really wanna go and then get turned away.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I took one when we were last in The World (Xmas 2008) and although I got one or two looks from CMs - nobody said anything. It fully extends to around 5 feet tall. It was great for using a camcorder to record the parades,

I expect that there's been a few rules implemented since then

NowInc

If its a travel sized Tripod, you SHOULD have no issues. The ones they are cracking down on are the full size pro ones, or so it seems. The MeFoto one I use folds to just a little over a food in length when not in use, but goes up to 61" at full height, and as long as its not set up in the middle of a crowd (which I always avoid anyway due to the fear of damage), I have never had anything said to me.... except long after closing time and they subtly hint to me that I should go "home".

afb28

Original Poster
If its a travel sized Tripod, you SHOULD have no issues. The ones they are cracking down on are the full size pro ones
That's my problem, I'm not sure how they qualify that as mine won't fit in a backpack and folds down to about 2 1/2 feet

donsullivan

Premium Member
That's my problem, I'm not sure how they qualify that as mine won't fit in a backpack and folds down to about 2 1/2 feet

At 30" collapsed, you 'may' be pushing the boundaries of what might be classified as a large tripod. The 'new' rules that were posted recently didn't actually change the tripod rules at all, just re-emphasized the one that was already in place.

I have not heard any reports of anyone actually having problems, but it likely depends on whether you run into a new security guard at bag check who might trigger questions about it.

JediMasterMatt

My tripod is 24" or 22" long (can't remember which off the top of my head) when collapsed and fits on the side of my backpack, so I'm curious how that will be interpreted as well.

Large is so subjective. I don't understand why they just don't give a specific measurement.

I'm going again in early November and I'm anxious to find out where the line is drawn.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My Really Right Stuff one collapses to 20" with the head attached and I've never had an issue at either WDW nor in the last few years at DL.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was in MK on Friday night (MNSSHP) with some other photographer friends and among the group were a number of tripods much larger than mine when collapsed. One had a tripod that would not even fit in a locker so he had to check it at the MK locker rental station. He did note that he was asked 'is that a large tripod' when he was going thru security but no hassle getting it in or using it. Only one anecdotal example but at least on this night it wasn't an issue.

JediMasterMatt

Thanks Don. That makes me feel a bit better. I did confirm mine is 22" long when collapsed, so I'm assuming it will be fine.

Glad to see that things seem to be stabilizing.

Did you get any sense about any changes about using them in "crowds" as Dave initially reported?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Thanks Don. That makes me feel a bit better. I did confirm mine is 22" long when collapsed, so I'm assuming it will be fine.

Glad to see that things seem to be stabilizing.

Did you get any sense about any changes about using them in "crowds" as Dave initially reported?

Only my guess, but I suspect you'll be fine with 22" collapsed.

We had one large group of tripods (8-10) set up to shoot fireworks right at the top point of Town Square and didn't have any issues at all. That's not an area that is typically very crowded for most fireworks shows however. We did make a point of keeping them very close together and created 2 rows (one on street and second on sidewalk) so as not to make an obstruction of ourselves. Nobody paid any attention to us at all.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The tripod enforcement is going to come down to the specific cm at the bag check and if they are interested in enforcing the "fits in a back pack" rule. By accounts so far, it looks like most are not.

NowInc

Just to re-confirm based on my experiences the last 4 days:

No issues with the Mefoto (or any other tripod) that folds down to less than 13". I did also see many people walking around with some of those oh so wonderful tin toy tripods that you get at target/best buy that don't fold up (so essentially 2.5 feet long) inside the parks..so I assume they had no issues as well.

One thing that I DID find interesting and new:

Park sweeps happening a lot earlier and swifter than before. Previous to this trip, after park close I could still linger around and shoot pics of the lands without many people around and stay for a good long while before anyone asked me to leave. This trip? Pretty much right after the kiss goodnight I was told that they needed me to depart (They weren't rude about it). This was every night. Others who were there WITHOUT tripods were allowed to linger a bit longer, which was the part that was most odd to me. Also, I guess due to internet popularity, the kiss goodnight itself is more of a main event now than a little hidden gem few knew about. At least 50 people were there 2 nights ago for it, as opposed to the usual 10 or less, which also makes castle pics a bit more work (tho still not impossible, obviously).

Gig 'Em Mickey

Park sweeps happening a lot earlier and swifter than before. Previous to this trip, after park close I could still linger around and shoot pics of the lands without many people around and stay for a good long while before anyone asked me to leave. This trip? Pretty much right after the kiss goodnight I was told that they needed me to depart (They weren't rude about it). This was every night. Others who were there WITHOUT tripods were allowed to linger a bit longer, which was the part that was most odd to me. Also, I guess due to internet popularity, the kiss goodnight itself is more of a main event now than a little hidden gem few knew about. At least 50 people were there 2 nights ago for it, as opposed to the usual 10 or less, which also makes castle pics a bit more work (tho still not impossible, obviously).

Boooo, was kinda looking forward to staying late and being able to get some shots when I got in December.

afb28

Original Poster
decided to buy the Mefoto globetrotter and sell my Manfrotto 055XPROB

the mefoto will fold down into my backpack so i guess that'll make me feel more comfortable about going

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom