WDW trip report

Visited WDW August 9 thru 20 of 2003. Information from this site helped make our trip a success. Traveled from Seattle to Orlando.
Use Tiffany Town car service !. The Mears shuttle was going to cost me $116.00. The Town car was $80.00 round trip. Driver picked us up at Orlando airport, allowed a 30 minute grocery store stop plus gave us use of their store discount card. Drove us right to our hotel. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Very nice hotel. Kid friendly. Problem at initial check in. Our travel was arranged through AAA, are agent on the phone with Disney confirmed that our "standard" room was to be a complimentary upgrade to a "Deluxe" room. When we arrived our travel voucher stated "standard" room and their were no notes on the computer concerning our reservation of the upgrade. Short story, the clerk mentioned parking lot view, I protested and we were given a nice standard room with bunkbeds and a savanah view. They made it right. Make sure any promises of upgrades you get in writing. Did the hotel mug for $10.99ea. We all drank a lot of pop, hot chocolate and coffee. Had ultimate park hopper ticket. At hotel check in your room key card is your ticket you use at the parks for your stay. At check in you will be pushed to allow your room card to be a credit card to make it easier to spend your money. I declined that!

We spent 12 days at WDW without a rental car. We relied on the WDW bus system. The Animal Kingdom Lodge had a nice covered orgqanized bus waiting area. We were able to get everywhere we wanted to go by bus. But you do have to wait. From your hotel you can get to the parks. At the parks find the information sign at the bus loading area for the numbered bus stop for your hotel. Only problem riding the bus no direct service from hotel to Downtown Disney or Wide world of sports. Had to go to MGM studios bus loading to transfer to Downtown Disney and Wide World of Sports. Bus drivers helpful, just ask them. Look at the bus destination sign to confirm where that bus is going. Only problem by bus wanted to attend a 7:05 PM baseball game at Wide World of Sports. Made it to the game just befor 8PM as the bus driver informed us that the last bus Leaves Wide World of Sports at 8PM!!. Later learned from cast member at ticket window that if you are a WDW resort guest attending baseball game and bus service ends, go to one of the complex representitives and WDW will pay for your cab ride back to your hotel.

Did all 4 parks and both water parks. Go early if you can. The park with early entry gets very full by noon. We did a couple early entry parks then left by 11 AM. Go to the parks that are not early entry for some crowd relief. Use the fast pass system. Small pack for me worked great for carrying the key cards and fast passes. Small back pack with the Britta filtered water bottles worked great. Bring your own rain ponchos in a color other than yellow. Wear comfortable walking shoes. Had the portable radios but did not use them. Security at park entrance checks all bags in a very professional manner.

Animal Kingdom- Cast member told us attendance was lighter at this park on the weekends. Park closes at 6PM. Go early and can do park in a day.

MGM- Do the popular rides early and fast pass. Was told that if you want to see Fantasmic have to be in line 2 hours prior to show.

EPCOT- Ride Mission space but be warned not for the claustrophobic and full stomach.

Magic Kingdom- seemed to be crowded everyday. (Liked Disneyland better.)

Food. We did the $10.69 refer rental for our stay. Helped save money eating breakfast in the room. Animal Kingdom lodge food good but expensive. If at EPCOT or Magic Kingdom took monorail to Contemporary Hotel for lunch. Steak house resturant has generous large burgers. Have a nice relaxing lunch here then hit the monorail back to the park. Found a great cheap(for WDW) $15.99 buffet at Fort Wilderness. This buffet in next door to the Hoop DE Do revue. If you are at MGM take the bus to Wide World of Sports to have lunch at the Allstar Cafe. No crowds, great food, get to play triva game on large tv screen. Need to check before you go hours of operation.

Mouse boats were great fun. About $30.00 for an hour rental. We did the Fort Wilderness boats.

Weather- Our stay was during huricane season. Poncho handy and umbrella. If you see the dark clouds coming head to the exit early. Thunder means rain coming quick and lots of it. Was on the monorail when it was hit by lighting. We were stuck over an EPCOT lagoon for 30 minutes.

With a little planning your trip will be a memorable one. Have fun!

Grumpy56

Great trip report, thanks for posting. Curious about the rides, which one's were your favorites? Did you like Mission Space? I haven't ridden it yet, not claustraphobic but can't ride Body Wars or Star Wars or those darn teacups. Glad you had a fun trip!

Sally_doll

thanks for the report and the warning for claustrophobics on mission space... My mother is a sever claustrophobic and can not ride Tower of terror or Alien encounter but she can ride star tours and body wars. In your opinion do you think she will be okay?

Engine75

Original Poster
Hello Sally_doll. Regarding your mother riding star tours and body wars these are still bumpy rides in an enclosed simulater. My recomendation is that she should pass on these two rides also.

Hello Grumpy 56. My favorite rides were Tower of Terror, Rock N Roll Coaster, and Mission space. Forgot to mention we also visited both Blizard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon water parks. Blizzard Beach was fun for the first two hours after opening then by 11:30AM crowds were huge with the park closing by noon. My family liked Typhoon Lagoon best. Water rides moved the lines faster, park was more shaded, guests seemed calmer, and the crowds didi not build until afternoon.

The_CEO

Originally posted by SpongeScott
Thanks for the report and welcome to the boards! This is a wonderful place for info and for making new friends.
Sponge.. That link in your sig is harsh...:rolleyes:

Grumpy56

Originally posted by Engine75
Hello Sally_doll. Regarding your mother riding star tours and body wars these are still bumpy rides in an enclosed simulater. My recomendation is that she should pass on these two rides also.

Hello Grumpy 56. My favorite rides were Tower of Terror, Rock N Roll Coaster, and Mission space. Forgot to mention we also visited both Blizard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon water parks. Blizzard Beach was fun for the first two hours after opening then by 11:30AM crowds were huge with the park closing by noon. My family liked Typhoon Lagoon best. Water rides moved the lines faster, park was more shaded, guests seemed calmer, and the crowds didi not build until afternoon.

That's great, TOT and RnR are my favorites also, so I hope to enjoy Mission Space too. I know I've got to ride it at least once! All the times I've been to WDW, I've never done the waterparks, might just have to try Typhoon Lagoon this time. Thanks for your reply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom