WDW training for the kids

Wolfclan Dan

Original Poster
I am visiting WDW in 32 days. As of late, I have had my DD's (5, 7, 8) walk a mile a day on the treadmill in an attempt to prepare them for the 8 day journey which lies ahead!

Is a mile a day enough or would any of you gradually raise that up?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Raise it up. I think I remember hearing that the average person will walk in the neighborhood of 6-8 miles per day while at WDW.

rlaeromech

I am visiting WDW in 32 days. As of late, I have had my DD's (5, 7, 8) walk a mile a day on the treadmill in an attempt to prepare them for the 8 day journey which lies ahead!

Is a mile a day enough or would any of you gradually raise that up?

Wow.. that is some serious training. my training is more along the lines of starving myself before my trip so I don't feel so bad stopping at the bakery on main street and getting 1 or 5 of those Ice cream cookies.

I think you'll be surprised how well they will do.. the excitement alone will supply them with enough energy, but Myoda is right on the mileage.

mouselvrmom

Wow.. that is some serious training. my training is more along the lines of starving myself before my trip so I don't feel so bad stopping at the bakery on main street and getting 1 or 5 of those Ice cream cookies.

I think you'll be surprised how well they will do.. the excitement alone will supply them with enough energy, but Myoda is right on the mileage.

:lol: I like your idea of training!

mouselvrmom

I would think maybe I should eat more, to stretch my stomach out for all that food I will be eating. :ROFLOL:

Really I don't do that, but it does seem to make sense. :lookaroun

KingStefan

I like your idea of training. Make sure they wear shoes that they'll wear on vacation, and rotate among all the shoes that they'll use.

I seem to remember guidelines from my scouting leadership days that said children 10 and younger should not be taken on "strenuous" hikes of more than about 1 1/2 miles. Ages 11 and up can ramp up to about 5 miles, more for older children.

Now, sure, on vacation at WDW, they're going to walk a lot more than that (maybe), like 6-8 miles as another poster said. But some of it is more like "strolling" than the walking you do on a treadmill, plus, you take frequent breaks to stand in lines, do/see attractions, shop, eat, etc.

On the other hand, the treadmill is not "strenuous" like hiking on a rugged path through the woods with varying elevation either.

For DAILY training at their ages, especially for the younger ones, I would limit training to about 1 1/2 miles/day. You might want to have them do more on limited occasions, like up to 3 miles once a week, but I wouldn't go more than that. You don't want to overstress their bodies (imaging bringing a 5yo to WDW with a strained achilles tendon, for example - to say nothing about how awful you'd feel if they hurt themselves training), and you don't want them to be exhausted the first day of vacation. And make sure you talk to them about striking a balance being agressive with training, but knowing when to stop if you think you are overdoing it.

Also, why not have family walks OUTSIDE and enjoy the outdoors together rather than do the treadmill every day? That would be a nice change! I know there are practical considerations, like who has the time, for example (I know very well how that goes - I have two kids myself) but I think walking outside doing various different circuits is much less boring than treadmill everyday. And it will give you something you can do together as a family!

Have a magical trip when you do go!

KingStefan

I hear you there. Same problem here in Northern NJ, although your weather is admitedly a bit more severe.

A bit OT, but please indulge me: My main problem is finding the time when we are all together, and the discipline to actually do it. If you dress properly, you can get in 20 min in all but the worst weather. But something always seems to get in the way of us doing that, and of course suiting up can take almost as long as the walk! Plus, of course, as far as WDW training is concerned, that means you are not wearing the same shoes.

Another problem for is that DD14 walks a lot after school, because DW and I both work and she's on her own, so she doesn't really want to go out again with us in the evening.

Yeah, finding time to spend all together as a family is hard. It's one of the reasons WDW is so important to us, but money is tight now, and I don't know when we'll get back there. Oh, well! We'll keep wishing!

KingStefan

Shopping malls are your friend. They are the perfect place to walk in inclement weather.

It's true. And more and more shopping malls in our part of the country are opening up during times when stores are closed as a courtesy for walkers.

The problem is still finding the time, and driving to the mall complicates that problem. Plus if we go when the stores are OPEN (especially since I have two DDs) there goes our savings plan for WDW!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's true. And more and more shopping malls in our part of the country are opening up during times when stores are closed as a courtesy for walkers.

The problem is still finding the time, and driving to the mall complicates that problem. Plus if we go when the stores are OPEN (especially since I have two DDs) there goes our savings plan for WDW!
Finding the time is always an issue. Eventually you will have to be proactive and make the time. Put your big King Stefan foot down and say "We will be active on MWF from 7-8! No if ands or buts!"

There are also several things you can do at home. Tai-chi is a great one. The following 2 Tai Chi videos are great and will work regardless of your fitness level.
Yang short form
Yang long form

One other thing that you can do at home that is really good for cardiovascular health and strength training are Russian Kettlebells.

Here are a couple of links to places where you can get kettlebells and they also have a bunch of instructional videos. (GoFit is the less extreme of the 2)

Art of Strength
GoFit

dixiegirl

Yes thats my kind of training!!! Eat uderly boring and healthy and workout like a nut before trip , then while at disney......all that goes out the window!!!! But I figure you walk enough in the course of a day why not...As for training the kids...They've gone every year for the past 7 yrs , once or twice a year without "training" ...and their fine.....the adreninline rush alone gets them going!!!!

wdwmomof3

I tried to do this with my children last year. I was so ready for all of us to get into shape. I took them to the track and they watched me walk while they were on the swing. They still did fine at Disney with out the training. :)

WickedQueen22

I took a 6 year old right out of a lazy New England winter to WDW last year and she did fine. You do stop often whether it be a ride or snack. Maybe the first day there was a little complaining but nothing after.

Have Fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom