WDW Tour c. 1990 — Updated to Imagination

tirian

Original Poster
On Disney-focused web forums, theme park enthusiasts often lament the bygone era of jam-packed attractions, widespread entertainment, unique shops, and cutting-edge tech (for its time). We also point out there was significantly more to do back in the days when prices were more reasonable and the experience was open to “all who entered this happy place”: upcharge cupcake parties and roped-off viewing areas didn’t separate classes within Disney parks.

This thread is meant as a snapshot of the era many call the Golden Age of WDW: late ‘80s into the early ‘90s. I’m going to be listing the available attractions and shops as noted in Birnbaum’s 1990 Official Guide to WDW— the kickoff year for the Disney Decade.

Things weren’t perfect. They never were. In 1990, the Studios were under-built, and ToT wouldn’t come for another four years. Some of the EPCOT Center pavilions were starting to show their age, and World of Motion and Kitchen Kabaret would soon be replaced. At the MK, fireworks were a seasonal event, although the nightly Illuminations had just premiered at EPCOT. Tomorrowland was soon going to be transformed into TL ‘94, bringing Alien Encounter and the Timekeeper. Splash Mountain was on its way. And Animal Kingdom was in its earliest planning stages. All those attractions were icing on the Castle Cake, so to speak. ;)

In fact, despite the infamous Castle Cake for the 25th anniversary, the late ‘80s through mid ‘90s were a bright point in WDW’s history. This was the era that created the experience people know and love; this was the time that cemented Disney’s reputation among Baby Boomers, Gen X-ers, and Millennials.

The thread is supposed to be fun, and isn’t intended as a point-by-point comparison to WDW in 2019/2020. As you’ll see, it’s just a look at classic WDW.

Please join the conversation and post any photos or memories you have from this time! I hope @marni1971 can post links to his incredible vids. I’ll post some pics from the travel guide.

And @wdwmagic — feel free to move this wherever it belongs. I’m not sure whether this is the correct sub-forum.

Last edited:

tirian

Original Poster
Let’s jump in with a trip to the Magic Kingdom.

In 1990, a drive into WDW was a different experience. Much of the property was heavily wooded and would later become hotels and DVC resorts. Animal-shaped topiaries were scattered throughout the entire resort, making your drive a sort of trip through an enchanted forest.

When you parked at the MK, you were directed into the closest available parking spot; there was no “premium” upcharge. Parking was $3/day.

If you were staying at a Disney-owned resort, visiting the MK, or had a multi-day ticket, you could use WDW transportation for free. Otherwise, if you just wanted to go resort-hopping and didn’t have a valid ticket, a one-day pass cost $2.50.

All buses dropped Guests at the TTC, regardless of whether they were staying on- or off-property.

During warmer months, Disney characters on waterskis circled the Seven Seas Lagoon as a sort of morning show welcoming guests to the MK.

Last edited:

tirian

Original Poster

tirian

Original Poster
TICKET PRICES
  • 1-day: $31/adult, $25/child ages 3–9
  • 4-day passport: $100/A, $80/C
  • 5-day passport: $117/A, $95/C

An Annual Pass was $180!!!

And even though I promise this thread is not intended for comparisons, it’s worth seeing those prices in 2019 dollars:
  • 4-day passport: $196 in 2019 U.S. dollars
  • 5-day: $230
  • AP: $353

Last edited:

tirian

Original Poster
MAIN STREET, USA
from Birnbaum’s 1990 Guide to WDW

ATTRACTIONS:
  • Penny Arcade—“authentic, old-time games...’moving pictures’...Mute-o-scopes...Cali-o-scopes...and the cost is only a penny.”
  • Main Street Cinema—“Vintage Disney cartoons are shown simultaneously.”
  • Walt Disney World Railroad
  • The Walt Disney Story—“This film tells the story of the boy from Marceline, Missouri, who built a Kingdom around a mouse.”
  • Old-fashioned Vehicles
  • Firehouse

ENTERTAINMENT:
  • Dapper Dans
  • WDW Marching Band
  • Refreshment Corner Pianist
  • All-American College Marching Band (rotations from “colleges across the country”)
  • Banjo Kings (pulled double-duty in FrL)
  • Flag Retreat
  • Daily 3:00 parade
  • Main Street Electrical Parade
  • Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks (select nights)

SHOPPING:
  • The Chapeau (hats)
  • Kodak Camera Center (included a photo studio to take family portraits in Gay Nineties garb)
  • M.S. Confectionary
  • Uptown Jewelers
  • Disney & Company (character shop)
  • The Market House (snacks and tobacco)
  • Shadow Box (silhouettes)
  • Crystal Arts (blown glass on location)
  • The Emporium (all souvenirs except clothes)
  • Harmony Barber Shop (old location on the now-gone Center Street)
  • Disney Clothiers (the clothes that weren’t in the Emporium)
  • House of Magic (a magic shop with an on-site magician performing tricks)
  • M.S. Stationer (greeting cards and paper products)
  • Flower Shop (on the now-gone Center Street)
FOOD:
Crystal Palace (a cafeteria without characters), Main Street Bakery and Cookie Shop, Plaza Pavilion, Sealtest Ice Cream Parlor, Refreshment Corner (now Casey’s), Station Break (inside the train station!), Tony’s Town Square Café

The guide doesn’t mention the ODV carts for popcorn, ice cream, and drinks, or the ODV cart that sold Welch’s juices in fruit-shaped plastic containers.

Last edited:

tirian

Original Poster
ADVENTURELAND
from Birnbaum’s 1990 Official Guide to WDW

ATTRACTIONS:
  • The Enchanted Tiki Birds — Its actual name was the “Tropical Serenade in the Sunshine Pavilion,” but it was listed as the “Birds” in this book. It still had a barker bird talking to guests who walked by.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean — It also had a barker bird, and cannons regularly fired atop the building.
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
ENTERTAINMENT:
JP and the Silver Stars (steel drums)

SHOPPING:
  • Traders of Timbuktu — “handsome (but inexpensive)...carved wooden giraffes and antelopes, ethnic jewelry...dashikis, and khaki shirts”
  • Bwana Bob’s — “critters you may have just seen on the Jungle Cruise or at the Tropical Serenade”
  • Tiki Tropic Shop — “Hawaiian and tropical clothing”
  • Elephant Tales — “women’s and men’s clothing”
  • Colonel Hathi’s Safari Club — “sunglasses and wind chimes...straw handbags and shells, coral bangles...and shark’s teeth necklaces”
  • Lafitte’s Portrait Deck — “dress up as swashbucklers and pirate maids”
  • House of Treasure — pirate merch
  • The Golden Galleon — “nautical items, globes, brass cannons...nautical and resort...fashions”
  • Le Princesa de Cristal
  • Plaza del Sol Caribe — “candy and snacks...straw hats...pottery...and artificial flowers”
FOOD:
  • Adventureland Veranda — “among the most delightful meal sites in all the Magic Kingdom...American versions of Oriental specialties”
  • Aloha Isle — Dole Whip
  • Egg Roll Wagon
  • El Pirata y el Perico — hot dogs
  • The Oasis — soft drinks and snacks
  • Sunshine Tree Terrace — “orange slush, shakes, frozen yogurt, soft drinks, and the excellent citrus swirl”

Last edited:

tirian

Original Poster
FRONTIERLAND
from Birnbaum’s 1990 Official Guide to WDW

ATTRACTIONS:
  • Diamond Horseshoe — “The half-hour-long show, the Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree, presented in this recreation of a western dance hall saloon, is the kind of thing that makes sophisticated folk laugh in spite of themselves... Reservations are necessary and must be made in person at the Hospitality House on Main Street on the morning of the day of the performance.”
  • Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown — the summer vacation version of the show, which the book notes was “a top attraction” at the time. Over the years, Disney rotated the original show, the vacation hoedown, and the Christmas special.
  • Tom Sawyer Island — “One particularly pleasant way to pass an hour here is over lemonade and a sandwich at Aunt Polly’s Landing.”
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Splash Mt. was under construction
ENTERTAINMENT:
  • The Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree — “Five times a day, there’s a lovely old-time show with cancan dancers.” (Listed as an attraction and entertainment.)
  • Banjo Kings (Technically part of Main Street entertainment, but the players traveled to FrL too.)
SHOPPING:
  • Frontier Trading Post — “venison chili, wild boar meat, buffalo, cornbread mix... cowboy hats... feathered headdresses and moccasins, hefty brass buckles, sleeve garters, sheriff’s badges... reproduction pistols and rifles...”
  • Tricornered Hat Shop — hats and leather goods
  • Bearly Country — “hand-crafted goods plus Big Al stuffed bears... country skirts with matching blouses...”
  • Wood Carvers
  • Frontier Wood Carvers — a larger version of the one listed above; “a craftsman is usually on hand to demonstrate his talent.”
  • Brier (sic) Patch — predates Splash Mt! “woodsy gifts...and stuffed forest friends”
FOOD:
  • The Diamond Horseshoe (again!) — “freshly baked pies ... and cold sandwiches”
  • Pecos Bill Café — burgers
  • Mile Long Bar — “Three ... animal heads hang on the walls ... Guests who stand around long enough will see one animal turn to another and wink...” Tex-Mex
  • Aunt Polly’s Landing — sandwiches; at this time, the restaurant was always open, and would become seasonal later in the decade before shutting down completely.
  • Westward Ho — snacks

MaximumEd

The Facebook pages for Widen Your World and OmniLuxe has tons of old pics and info. My first and only trip until I was grown with a family of my own was ‘86 or 87’, so I missed a lot of this stuff. Thanks for posting.

Raineman

Thanks for spotlighting 1990. March of 1990 was my first visit to WDW, and the info you are providing helps fill in the gaps in my memories of what was in place then (I was 16 years old then, and now in my mid-40s, some of those memories are a bit fuzzy).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom