WDW to Universal Transportation Recommendations

Zac Skellington

Original Poster
I haven't been to UNI since, oh..., 1991 :jawdrop: We will be staying at AKL, and want to got to UNI for 2-3 days. Is it worth renting a car for the entire 10 day trip, or just rent long enough to take to UNI? Taxi? Do you have any other transportation tips? Thanks!

GLaDOS

I suggest just renting a car for the days you will be going to Universal. But since you are considering possibly 3 days, I would suggest actually moving up to a Universal Resort for the end of your stay.

I'd agree with this. You can get a room on property for a fraction of the cost at DAKL, and that way you can walk to the parks and take a break to go to the pool while there

Tom Morrow

Seconding splitting up your trip and staying at a universal resort for one or two nights. It's expensive, but you're already staying at DAK lodge. so...

In which case you wouldn't really need a rental car, you could save money by using Disney's transportation and then only using a taxi or shuttle as transportation to Universal.

Last edited:

rob0519

I googled the price of a taxi from AKL to Uni and it came back at $40 each way or $80 plus tip round trip. You could probably rent a car at the Swan or Dolphn for less than that, but keep in mind the daily parking rate at Uni plus gas.

BrerJon

Mears do a shared shuttle van between Universal and all Disney hotels, including DAK lodge, for $21 per person for a return trip. You just phone them up to request a pick up and they'll give you a time. They go to several hotels on the way depending on who has requested a pickup so it takes longer but is definitely the cheapest way to get there and back if you don't mind riding with other guests.

If you need to rent a car the Alamo by Magic Kingdom gives good service and a driver will come and pick you up from your hotel to take you to the rental counter.

RTeker

i'm almost tempted to do the Mears shuttle then to go from Uni to WDW for one day since i'm gonna be there for 7 days, leaving on the 7th day :D

The Tuna

We usually take a taxi. I dont like to drive on vacation and to rent a car for a day ro two doesnt seem worth it with parking. Although if you could shorten you stay at Kidani and spend a night or two at UO it would be a good idea. I did the MEars shuttle but at $21 a piece for 4 people it is the same as getting a taxi and the mears shuttle stopped at another hotel or two the last time we took it.

Cesar R M

Mears do a shared shuttle van between Universal and all Disney hotels, including DAK lodge, for $21 per person for a return trip. You just phone them up to request a pick up and they'll give you a time. They go to several hotels on the way depending on who has requested a pickup so it takes longer but is definitely the cheapest way to get there and back if you don't mind riding with other guests.

If you need to rent a car the Alamo by Magic Kingdom gives good service and a driver will come and pick you up from your hotel to take you to the rental counter.

I might be doing this as well when I go back to the WDW area next year.
very good tip!

PigletIsMyCat

does anyone have a brochure or link with this information? dh and i, as well as my brother and future sil, are weighing the costs of renting cars, going to universal, etc. tia :)

Ginzuishou

Getting shuttle service to Disney from the airport is so nice, easy, and free. Our last trip was to Universal, so after landing, we rented a car so we could drive to Universal. I wish there was a free shuttle service to and from Universal if you are staying at one of their on-site resorts...........or is there?

wendysue

I suggest just renting a car for the days you will be going to Universal. But since you are considering possibly 3 days, I would suggest actually moving up to a Universal Resort for the end of your stay.

This is what we are doing this year in November. We are at WDW for 6 days, and then we will be at Cabana Bay for 5 days. Have not decided how to get over there yet, but will be either taxi or Mears. Will have to do that back to the airport as well, but renting a car is more expensive with gas and parking figured in. If the stay at Cabana Bay goes well, that will be where we vacation next time exclusively.

Aimbier94

We are looking to do the same thing in a few weeks. Going from Cabana Bay to pop century halfway through the week our only dilemma is that we wanted to go to wet n wild the day we switch which interferes with checkout times and where we will leave our luggage before we head to pop.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Glad I found this thread. We're doing: 1 day, 2 parks + HHN and it comes to $420 with the mears transportation for 2 people. It's $356 without mears...

Decisions, decisions...

jessfriends

We usually take a taxi. I dont like to drive on vacation and to rent a car for a day ro two doesnt seem worth it with parking. Although if you could shorten you stay at Kidani and spend a night or two at UO it would be a good idea. I did the MEars shuttle but at $21 a piece for 4 people it is the same as getting a taxi and the mears shuttle stopped at another hotel or two the last time we took it.

I too do not like to drive on vacation and was trying to find a cheaper way than taking a taxi from the Boardwalk to Universal Studios as it will just be me traveling. Did you book this online? When I try to get a quote for the shuttle service my only option is to be picked up from the Orlando Airport and the destinations are hotels.

JediMasterMatt

After dipping my toe in the staying on Universal property in November, my wife and I have decided that we have now been spoiled by unlimited Express Pass and early entry. So much so, that we've booked two nights at Royal Pacific separated by one day during our upcoming January trip where we are staying on property at WDW. Even if we don't sleep at Uni, the room cost with the very good annual passholder discount we get will still be cheaper than purchasing Express Passes for 4 days. Plus you get early entry. Unbeatable value. For each night you stay, you get the check-in and check-out days to use the perks.

If you plan on going back and forth between WDW and Uni, definitely get a car. With Uni's shorter hours, you could always head back over to WDW and stop in for a nighttime spectacular if you want.

JillC LI

Last time we visited Uni it was only for one day and we stayed overnight at Uni to take advantage of the EP and early entry. It's definitely worth it. We also rented a car for our full trip because we like to have our own car on Disney property too.

fosse76

I too do not like to drive on vacation and was trying to find a cheaper way than taking a taxi from the Boardwalk to Universal Studios as it will just be me traveling. Did you book this online? When I try to get a quote for the shuttle service my only option is to be picked up from the Orlando Airport and the destinations are hotels.
If you are by yourself and only going for one day, then you are better off taking the Mears Shuttle. You do have to call them for this service. They usually only offer one or two pick-up times in the morning. However, you can pretty much choose to return at any time (you call them about an hour prior to your desired return time).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom