WDW Solo Trip - Ever Done it?

rodserling27

Original Poster
I wanted to experience Disney in a brand new way. With everyone busy working these days and the school at which I teach having a spring break fast approaching, I've booked a short solo trip to visit the Mouse in March. I'll be there for three days, braving it alone, which is something I've never done before. My fianceé, friends and family all think this is a cool idea. (Don't worry, the lady will come with me in June when she has some time off!)

I figured this would give me a cool opportunity to do some things I wouldn't normally get to do (including standing in the single-rider lane :lol:) and present a unique view of the park. As a regular at the parks, and AP holder, I am looking forward to seeing WDW in a new light while I'm by myself. I want to know if any of you have ever gone on a trip solely by yourself and what kind of experiences you had? Is there anything you would recommend to make this journey even more exciting?

( I hope anyone doesn't think I'm too crazy!)

captainkidd

Done it about 7 or 8 times, for a week at a time and I LOVE it. Do it every January or February. Walk at your own pace, eat what you want, ride what you want, as many times as you want. It's awesome. You'd think you'd feel a bit out of place, but you soon discover just how many people actually do this.

The only downside is there are some restaurants I like to go to that I feel kind of weird in. Ohana for example. Other than that, nothing else is awkward.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I love solo trips. I make them often. They're quite fun.

On my last solo trip, I finally met the man of my dreams!

Disney_Belle

May 2005 I was 21 and I did a solo trip to WDW. It was by far one of the greatest experiences ever. There was no pressure. If I wanted to sit on a bench for an hour, I could. If I wanted to ride PotC 3 times in a row, I could. There is just something a little extra magical about going solo. You get to take notice of things you've never noticed before. I'm married now, and though I love DH more than anything, I wish I had gotten in one more solo trip before I got married lol. This past January when I went down for the Kingdom Konsultant Agent Education Program I flew in a day early and was the first agent to arrive. I spent the day solo at MK and I was suprised at how much I fell in love all over again with it. While I love WDW so very much and love to share it with my family and friends, there's just something extra special about doing a solo trip. Go for it. You won't regret it!

flynnibus

Premium Member
done it - and you can take things as slow as you want or as fast as you want.

Last time, I hit 3 parks, plus went back to MK from 1pm to midnight! You can just flow with whatever your mind wants at the time. it's great

lilclerk

I love solo trips. I make them often. They're quite fun.

On my last solo trip, I finally met the man of my dreams!

Now, that's a good trip.

I just took a solo trip this month. It was my second to WDW, and I went to DL by myself a few years ago. I LOVE solo trips. I find I get a lot more done in the parks on solo trips, but I also take a lot more down time as well. If I want to stop listen to the Innoventions loop for 20 minutes while I wait for the Jammitors to come out, I can do that. If I want to wait in the standby line for Soarin, I can do that without feeling like I'm wasting someone's time. On this trip, I toured the monorail resorts for the first time because I didn't feel like I'd be boring someone else. I did all four parks in one day with an afternoon break. It was fantastic.

MickeyMind

I did it once, for a day, had to work close by, and decided to stop by epcot and mk.. it was pretty cool, but I am not too crazy about the idea.. Waiting in long lines by myself gives me anxiety, so I didnt like that part about it, but besides that I just think wdw is more fun when you go with people

Lisalyn

My last trip September 2011 was a solo one and hands down..one of the BEST i've ever taken. I got to ride what I wanted to, see the shows my daughter never wanted to deal with...shop wherever and whenever I wanted...took my time and enjoyed all the little details.

HIGHLY recommend solo trips!

rodserling27

Original Poster
Now, that's a good trip.

I just took a solo trip this month. It was my second to WDW, and I went to DL by myself a few years ago. I LOVE solo trips. I find I get a lot more done in the parks on solo trips, but I also take a lot more down time as well. If I want to stop listen to the Innoventions loop for 20 minutes while I wait for the Jammitors to come out, I can do that. If I want to wait in the standby line for Soarin, I can do that without feeling like I'm wasting someone's time. On this trip, I toured the monorail resorts for the first time because I didn't feel like I'd be boring someone else. I did all four parks in one day with an afternoon break. It was fantastic.

Yeah! Now THAT is the kind of stuff I can't wait to do!

The Empress Lilly

I've done WDW solo. I must highly recommend it!

You can live out all your geeky Disney fantasies: listen to the entire Magic Journeys music loop in the Imagination bathroom, hop over to EPCOT just to ride Living with the Land, check out the ceilings of all the shops in DHS.
Love it!

10Magic

It is ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite things in the world to do, and I'm thrilled that so many of you feel the same way. I thought I was the only oddball. Like so many before me have said, you can see it YOUR way, at YOUR pace, for however long you want to. I have done my favorite things in all four parks in one day, if you get an early start and plan it right. If you're going when teachers are off, you may have BIIIIG crowds to deal with, so plan accordingly. Yes, you can do single-rider lines, and some cast-members will even cut you a break on some lines (Toy Story, Soarin', etc.) if you let them know you're riding alone. It's easier to zip past people on some attractions (Tower Of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Rock & Roller Coaster) if you know how the pre-shows work. And, of course, you can relax and take your time at some of the other areas that only you appreciate. GET A REALLY EARLY START, and enjoy every second of it!

jcldtrek

I'm going by myself for the first time in september from the 6 th to the 12 th. And i can't wait. I'm looking forward to doing things on my own and when i want to do it

I'm doing a few days the first week of April after being at a wedding in St Pete..

Figure.. I need a few days to relax.. then drive all the way back up to Illinois

joanna71985

Solo trips are fun! Before I moved down to Orlando, I did a couple (one staying at AS Sports, and the other offsite), and I had a blast both times

Enchanted Broom

I've never done an entire "solo trip," but when I was a CP I used to go to the parks alone all the time. Most of my friends had different schedules, so most of the time you either had to wait for a day when someone else would be off, or you could go alone. Everyone I knew liked to wait until they had someone to go with and were always shocked when they heard about me going alone, but I've never seen a reason not to do it.
It changes everything, going alone. You make all the decisions, so you don't waste time trying to figure out what a whole group would want to do, you can walk as fast or slow as you want, you can spend as much time as you want doing whatever you want really. The freedom is absolutely fabulous!
Now, some things can be kinda awkward alone (I never ever met any characters on my own. Partially because I'm crazy shy, and partially because I feel weird, being nineteen and walking up to Goofy alone to get an autograph and picture), but for the most part it's great. And it seems I notice way more Disney detail when I go alone.
It's also great being able to stop and take pictures of anything whenever you want, without having to make people wait for you. :p

Texas84

On one of my solos I went to Tokyo Dining and felt silly but the waitress really took care of me. I told her I was learning Japanese and she let me practice speaking with her. When I left she gave me a little box origami with Japanese greetings in hiragana. Fun experience. So don't be afraid to go to the big restaurants. You might get a little more attention.

Botts

Hello all,

I did a solo trip in July 2011. I normally wouldn't have considered doing one, but I was in Orlando to shoot the shuttle launch and thought I'd take a few personal days to experience the parks by myself.

It was a great experience, I was able to calmly stroll the parks and take time to photograph the sights without a party bugging me to hurry up and get to the next ride. I was able to really experience the atmosphere more than I had in the past. I still managed to sneak in quite a few rides though!

I also was able to take the time to bring my heavy photo equipment to the park and get set up to shoot both fireworks and Animal Kingdom! I got some great photos in Animal Kingdom as I had brought my monopod and super-telephotos which I normally would have foregone knowing I'd have people waiting on my whilst taking photos. Security did give me a funny look though when they saw the 500mm in my backpack.

In terms of the park experience, I felt a little weird walking around by myself at times, particularly as a 23-year old male riding rides like dumbo and Peter Pan by myself.

Some of the ride attendants were great, one on PoTC noticed my camera on my hip and asked if I was there to take photos, I said "Pretty much, yeah." She then gave me my own boat so as not to be disturbed and get better sight lines. Several other ride attendants asked if I had lost my party with genuine concern, which was kind of amusing.

Often when I got to the point in line where the cast member asks how many are in your party to determine where to have you line up for boarding, upon seeing (and confirming) I was a party of one pulled me to the front ahead of many people, or sat me at the front of the car which was a nice touch. It was almost like a pseudo single rider line.

Only a few cast members seemed surprised to learn that I was by myself and give me a look of pity, so it wasn't as bad as I had originally anticipated!

Service at restaurants was very good, and I often got seated very quickly as I only needed a table for one. It seemed like most of the restaurants have few tables for two that are under-utilized, which helped me out as a solo guest.

I'd certainly recommend going solo if you have the time off and your family doesn't, it's a completely different experience that you can direct as you see fit! I would bring a book or iPhone to keep busy with if you are planning on waiting in any lengthy lines though. Some things seemed more magical to experience by myself, but others I found myself missing someone to share them with.

I did a similar trip in November to Disneyland after a conference in Los Angeles. Disneyland was different than WDW, as it seems like the CMs and guests are a lot more used to seeing solo guests, likely due to the larger number of local AP holders.

Have fun! And do what you want to do for a change!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom