WDW Solo Trip - Ever Done it?

CP_alum08

I've never done an entire trip solo, but I have done a few single days. It was nice to be able to take things at whatever pace I wanted but I will say that eating alone was the hardest part for me.

rodserling27

Original Poster
Here are some Disneyphile things I am looking forward to doing:

- Listening to different area loops in all four parks and try to identify as many of the songs as possible
- Watching Main Street Electrical Parade at the beginning of Main Street, then trying my best to get to Frontierland to watch it again on the same run before it ends :)
- Getting my haircut on Main Street
- Riding the Haunted Mansion and actively count how many ghosts I can find
- Sit and listen to Mark or Jim play the piano all afternoon outside Casey's Corner
- Get picked for the Indiana Jones Stunt Show (I've done this three times ;))
- Sit and people watch outside of an attraction like Tower of Terror
- Watch more than one performance of The Voices of Liberty and try to get a decent audio recording
- Riding Space Mountain and sitting in all 6 seats to determine the BEST possible seat.
- Try to get BOTH versions of Great Movie Ride

And now my favorite idea:
- Ride "Spaceship Earth" while listening to the original Jeremy Irons narration on my iPhone!

The Empress Lilly

I've never done an entire trip solo, but I have done a few single days. It was nice to be able to take things at whatever pace I wanted but I will say that eating alone was the hardest part for me.
Yes, eating solo didn't work out for me either.

Quick service, nibbling my way around the World, it is then.

Lisalyn

Eating solo isn't bad at all! I went for a full week Sept. 2011 and traveled and ate solo the whole time! No problem sitting down somewhere..I just made notes in my daily notebook (I log everything I see and do), ate, relaxed, drank a ton of water and than hit the pavement running again LOL Have fun! Nobody cares what you are doing - really! Just go for it! :wave: I even stood in line with all those parents and kids and got photos taken (ha ha!) I figure I chose to go solo so I could enjoy what I wanted to, see the shows I wanted to...do what I wanted to...and that included photos!

rodserling27

Original Poster
Hello all,

I did a solo trip in July 2011. I normally wouldn't have considered doing one, but I was in Orlando to shoot the shuttle launch and thought I'd take a few personal days to experience the parks by myself.

It was a great experience, I was able to calmly stroll the parks and take time to photograph the sights without a party bugging me to hurry up and get to the next ride. I was able to really experience the atmosphere more than I had in the past. I still managed to sneak in quite a few rides though!

I also was able to take the time to bring my heavy photo equipment to the park and get set up to shoot both fireworks and Animal Kingdom! I got some great photos in Animal Kingdom as I had brought my monopod and super-telephotos which I normally would have foregone knowing I'd have people waiting on my whilst taking photos. Security did give me a funny look though when they saw the 500mm in my backpack.

In terms of the park experience, I felt a little weird walking around by myself at times, particularly as a 23-year old male riding rides like dumbo and Peter Pan by myself.

Some of the ride attendants were great, one on PoTC noticed my camera on my hip and asked if I was there to take photos, I said "Pretty much, yeah." She then gave me my own boat so as not to be disturbed and get better sight lines. Several other ride attendants asked if I had lost my party with genuine concern, which was kind of amusing.

Often when I got to the point in line where the cast member asks how many are in your party to determine where to have you line up for boarding, upon seeing (and confirming) I was a party of one pulled me to the front ahead of many people, or sat me at the front of the car which was a nice touch. It was almost like a pseudo single rider line.

Only a few cast members seemed surprised to learn that I was by myself and give me a look of pity, so it wasn't as bad as I had originally anticipated!

Service at restaurants was very good, and I often got seated very quickly as I only needed a table for one. It seemed like most of the restaurants have few tables for two that are under-utilized, which helped me out as a solo guest.

I'd certainly recommend going solo if you have the time off and your family doesn't, it's a completely different experience that you can direct as you see fit! I would bring a book or iPhone to keep busy with if you are planning on waiting in any lengthy lines though. Some things seemed more magical to experience by myself, but others I found myself missing someone to share them with.

I did a similar trip in November to Disneyland after a conference in Los Angeles. Disneyland was different than WDW, as it seems like the CMs and guests are a lot more used to seeing solo guests, likely due to the larger number of local AP holders.

Have fun! And do what you want to do for a change!!
Thanks for the detailed response! I had thought about bringing a powerful camera to take photos of the fireworks, attractions and parades. I echo that sentiment about being a 20-something male by yourself. I just hope folks dont' think me, a 25 year old male, is strange or creepy walking around Fantasyland alone, with multiple rides on "Small world" and "Peter Pan" :p

SyracuseOrange

I'll echo everyone else. I've done WDW once alone for four days, DL once alone for one day, and Disneyland Paris twice alone, one day each. I've been to the parks with friends/family, but going alone means it's on your terms. You'll get to do your perfect trip without anyone else's influence. Just have fun :)

SyracuseOrange

Thanks for the detailed response! I had thought about bringing a powerful camera to take photos of the fireworks, attractions and parades. I echo that sentiment about being a 20-something male by yourself. I just hope folks dont' think me, a 25 year old male, is strange or creepy walking around Fantasyland alone, with multiple rides on "Small world" and "Peter Pan" :p

As a 20-something male who (as I pointed out before) goes alone to the parks sometimes, it can feel a little awkward riding some of the rides alone (particularly the ones in Fantasyland.) Usually when I arrive at the front of the line and say I'm "one" - they put me in the back of a car, usually behind a family. So...it's just slightly strange that it's the family car, plus little old me in the back row all by myself. But, most of the time I feel like the family ahead of me doesn't care. Sometimes they even turn around and make a fun comment about their kids, or ask me about my day in the park. It's really only awkward if you FEEL awkward.

Just have fun :)

smw

last year i was in orlando a few days for a conference and would split early each afternoon and head to a park til closing. at first it really didnt seem right. kinda bummed me out. i tend to be a very sentimental person when it comes to places (especially disney), so i felt a bit sad for whatever reason. but really it ended up being a great time. i spent a large portion of each evening talking to strangers, which was much more fun than i thought it would be. one evening i rode the monorail to each of the hotels and had a drink or two at the bar, chatting with the bartenders.

its not something i'd plan to do again, but it was definitely an enjoyable experience. you really do notice more, but ultimately i'd prefer being with someone. it was a little too much like an out-of-body deal... like i was just an observer floating through the parks.

lilclerk

Here are some Disneyphile things I am looking forward to doing:

- Listening to different area loops in all four parks and try to identify as many of the songs as possible
- Watching Main Street Electrical Parade at the beginning of Main Street, then trying my best to get to Frontierland to watch it again on the same run before it ends :)

- Getting my haircut on Main Street
- Riding the Haunted Mansion and actively count how many ghosts I can find
- Sit and listen to Mark or Jim play the piano all afternoon outside Casey's Corner
- Get picked for the Indiana Jones Stunt Show (I've done this three times ;))
- Sit and people watch outside of an attraction like Tower of Terror
- Watch more than one performance of The Voices of Liberty and try to get a decent audio recording
- Riding Space Mountain and sitting in all 6 seats to determine the BEST possible seat.
- Try to get BOTH versions of Great Movie Ride

And now my favorite idea:
- Ride "Spaceship Earth" while listening to the original Jeremy Irons narration on my iPhone!
I've done the bold ones on solo trips :lol:

Mike K

I'm really happy to see so many positive reviews on solo trips. I'm actually seriously considering doing one this December. I finally experienced the World around Halloween this past year and now it's time to experience the Christmas season. My hope is to stay at the Art of Animation resort and spend at least a week there. Glad to see that the experience is as much as I anticipate it to be.

rodserling27

Original Poster
I've done the bold ones on solo trips :lol:
Excellent! :sohappy:
I'm really happy to see so many positive reviews on solo trips. I'm actually seriously considering doing one this December. I finally experienced the World around Halloween this past year and now it's time to experience the Christmas season. My hope is to stay at the Art of Animation resort and spend at least a week there. Glad to see that the experience is as much as I anticipate it to be.

I am looking forward the solo trip more than ever now, with all these raving reviews. Let me know if you get down there alone to the Art of Animation resort!!

Mike K

I am looking forward the solo trip more than ever now, with all these raving reviews. Let me know if you get down there alone to the Art of Animation resort!!

I definitely will! At this point, it doesn't seem unrealistic that I'll be able to pull it off. It just boils down to the day you sit in front of your computer and officially book that next Disney trip. I live for those days haha

I've had three solo trips, each one gets a day longer. Just had a week at the end of January-into Feb. Love them and find great comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who enjoys them so much. My friends and family around here, excluding my husband, thinks I am a total freak for wanting to go alone....they just don't get it. Besides, as a woman traveling alone...where else can you feel so relaxed and safe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom