WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – My August 2011 Trip Report

WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – An August 2011 Trip Report

Welcome to my trip report! First, about the title. Reading the WDW boards lately one would think that Disney World was coming apart at the seams; Overrun by vicious gangs of Brazilian tour groups, Pop Warner boys and cheerleaders. Filled with broken down, outdated rides run by snarly cast members. The resorts infested by bedbugs, nasty housekeepers, and moldy shower curtains. The Restaurants serving up Dogfood burgers and steaks served with the leather hides still attached. The fireworks shows reduced to open fire pits and a few boxes of sparklers.

To be totally honest and sarcasm aside (kinda), I was really getting concerned about this trip. I had gone to great lengths and compromise ( see my Pre-trip report) to make this trip a reality. Now I was worried that once my family would see first hand the crumbling vestige that was once our favorite place on earth; this would seal this trip’s fate as our last one to the World. Well, I’m happy to say, with photos as proof – the rumors of Walt Disney World’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

First Day and intro to our family;

Our countdown was over. The paper chain in Toni’s room that started at day 178 was now down to day zero. It was 4 in the morning on August 6th and I woke up Toni and we tore up that last chain and started to get ready for our trip. By 4:30, Toni and her brother Sterg, were ready and waiting.

001-XL.jpg

I have a good friend that happens to own a limo business, so we hired him to drive us to Philadelphia International. The limo came at 5:00am. This is my wife Val and my oldest child, Alexandra, getting spoiled in the limo.

DSC01283-XL.jpg

Sterg and I on the other seat…

DSC01284-XL.jpg

While Toni caught a few z’s.

DSC01282-XL.jpg

Everything was going fine. We were making great time on the Turnpike until we were detoured off of it an exit too soon. Unfortunately, this was only the first of our several delays that morning.

Last edited:

Allie_Marie

I finished your trip report a while ago and recently joined the site so I can comment on them! I absolutely LOVE your trip report! I am actually inbetween Alex and Sterg's age, but I act like Toni! But I loved following your families trip. I can't wait until you go back so I can read more!!

callumnoad

Hello Fractal,

What a great trip report! It's been brilliant to read about your trip in August as we are going to the world at the same time this year! If you don't mind me asking how old are your kids, I think mine are of similar age and I have noticed a couple of shared characteristics!

thanks

:)

fractal

Original Poster
I finished your trip report a while ago and recently joined the site so I can comment on them! I absolutely LOVE your trip report! I am actually inbetween Alex and Sterg's age, but I act like Toni! But I loved following your families trip. I can't wait until you go back so I can read more!!

Thanks for reading! Oh, I wish my teenagers acted more like Toni.:) I can't wait to go back as well! Likely in 2013. Hopefully you get to WDW soon.

Hello Fractal,

What a great trip report! It's been brilliant to read about your trip in August as we are going to the world at the same time this year! If you don't mind me asking how old are your kids, I think mine are of similar age and I have noticed a couple of shared characteristics!

thanks

:)

Thank you! My kids are (now) 18, 15 and 10. If you have teenagers - I wish you all the best. :) Seriously, they're not that bad - more amusing than
anything! Have a great time on your trip. Be prepared for the heat and the showers. Hit the parks early and/or late and bring ponchos if it rains.
It's amazing how fast the parks clear out when it rains. Hopefully we'll be reading your trip report soon!

callumnoad

Thank you! My kids are (now) 18, 15 and 10. If you have teenagers - I wish you all the best. :) Seriously, they're not that bad - more amusing than
anything! Have a great time on your trip. Be prepared for the heat and the showers. Hit the parks early and/or late and bring ponchos if it rains.
It's amazing how fast the parks clear out when it rains. Hopefully we'll be reading your trip report soon!

very similar ages! thanks for the advice! - maybe, I'm not sure if it will be very interesting but you never know!!

emcclay

I enjoyed your TR so much! It has inspired me to check out new restaurants next time my family is in WDW. The seas tour looks awesome. But, I don't know if I would have the guts to go on it by myself!

chrissyw14

I read your trip report a while ago, I also went in August 2011 and also flew out of Philly, I really liked your Trip Report and your pictures are great!!! I can't wait to try out my new camera this August. And I can't wait for you to go on another trip and write another TR lol

fractal

Original Poster
I enjoyed your TR so much! It has inspired me to check out new restaurants next time my family is in WDW. The seas tour looks awesome. But, I don't know if I would have the guts to go on it by myself!

Thanks! We really enjoyed trying different places to eat - but we did miss some favorites. Sea Tours was great - even if you go by yourself, you'll be with a group. I hope you try it!

I read your trip report a while ago, I also went in August 2011 and also flew out of Philly, I really liked your Trip Report and your pictures are great!!! I can't wait to try out my new camera this August. And I can't wait for you to go on another trip and write another TR lol

Thank you. Flying out of Philly seems to always be challenging.:confused: Looking forward to pics on your new camera!

good read, mate

Thanks!

ExtinctJenn

First let me just say that I absolutely loved this report (and admitedly just spent the last couple hours of my day here at work reading it). I know it's from nearly a year ago but it truly was wonderful. I laughed and laughed at your comments along the way.

Secondly... I want to tell you that reading this part (Illuminations) seriously made me tear up. You hit the nail on the head with every word of this. It's this type of feeling... this magic... that so many folks miss when they are visiting the world. Very well written, well said and well done!

As I was watching the show, I started to think of Walt Disney. Many people say they tear up when they watch Wishes - I didn't - but watching Illuminations started to bring a lump in my throat. This night, the fireworks, the music, would not exist without the ideas and visions of one man. We are still fortunate enough to live in a society were ideas and dreams are not only powerful - but can manifest themselves in grand scale. Without Walt Disney, Epcot would not exist. The beautiful and moving music written and composed for Illuminations would not exist. The experiences and memories created by countless families would not exist. It's truly mind boggling when you spend time thinking about it, and for some reason I was thinking about it that night.

We currently live in a pessimistic world. The "Great Recession" is really our version of the Great Depression. Every current movie or TV series based on the future is dystopian. It seems all we have to look forward to is some post apocalyptic world filled with nuclear fallout, economic collapse, alien invasions, killer viruses, natural disasters or flesh eating zombies. The vision of Walt Disney's Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow - a world made better by human innovation and technology is all but dead.

EPCOT, despite not being what Walt originally wanted, is still a symbol of how great the future can be. It helps keep that flicker of a hope; that our tomorrow will be better than today, from extinguishing.

fractal

Original Poster
Seriously great trip report!! Laughed out loud many times. :)

Thank you!

First let me just say that I absolutely loved this report (and admitedly just spent the last couple hours of my day here at work reading it). I know it's from nearly a year ago but it truly was wonderful. I laughed and laughed at your comments along the way.

Secondly... I want to tell you that reading this part (Illuminations) seriously made me tear up. You hit the nail on the head with every word of this. It's this type of feeling... this magic... that so many folks miss when they are visiting the world. Very well written, well said and well done!

Thanks - I may have had a few drinks when I wrote that but still agree with it. Thanks for reading the report!

Britt

Nooooooooo! I didn't want this trip report to end! It REALLY made me feel like I was back there, feeling all of those same feelings....I absolutely loved reading this.

Your family is GORGEOUS, and your kids sound hilarious. I'm so glad you got that time with your daughters and hopefully an equal opportunity arises with Serg. It did make me feel like a WDW trip with teenagers IS possible!

fractal

Original Poster
Nooooooooo! I didn't want this trip report to end! It REALLY made me feel like I was back there, feeling all of those same feelings....I absolutely loved reading this.

Your family is GORGEOUS, and your kids sound hilarious. I'm so glad you got that time with your daughters and hopefully an equal opportunity arises with Serg. It did make me feel like a WDW trip with teenagers IS possible!

Thanks Britt! Sterg and I will get a chance next week and yes, teenagers are a different animal, but it can be done!

Oh no, I spelled his name wrong! So sorry about that!

No worries, happens a lot. :)

razza1987

Big kids are definately different than little ones. Mine still love Disney, which I'm grateful. I hope you're as lucky!

Thank you! I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in the Epcot Resort area.

Thanks and your welcome!

Frozen drinks @ WS in the summer RULE!

You're right - and have one for me!

Worth risking a brain freeze for! :) - and when are you going to finish your TR?

What is WS? I would LOVE to try one of those drinks while I am there lol

meyeet

Disappointed to see that the pictures are no longer here. I started reading this trip report earlier this year and just came back to finish reading through it. Oh well, I'll just have to wait till your next one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom