WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – My August 2011 Trip Report

WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – An August 2011 Trip Report

Welcome to my trip report! First, about the title. Reading the WDW boards lately one would think that Disney World was coming apart at the seams; Overrun by vicious gangs of Brazilian tour groups, Pop Warner boys and cheerleaders. Filled with broken down, outdated rides run by snarly cast members. The resorts infested by bedbugs, nasty housekeepers, and moldy shower curtains. The Restaurants serving up Dogfood burgers and steaks served with the leather hides still attached. The fireworks shows reduced to open fire pits and a few boxes of sparklers.

To be totally honest and sarcasm aside (kinda), I was really getting concerned about this trip. I had gone to great lengths and compromise ( see my Pre-trip report) to make this trip a reality. Now I was worried that once my family would see first hand the crumbling vestige that was once our favorite place on earth; this would seal this trip’s fate as our last one to the World. Well, I’m happy to say, with photos as proof – the rumors of Walt Disney World’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

First Day and intro to our family;

Our countdown was over. The paper chain in Toni’s room that started at day 178 was now down to day zero. It was 4 in the morning on August 6th and I woke up Toni and we tore up that last chain and started to get ready for our trip. By 4:30, Toni and her brother Sterg, were ready and waiting.

001-XL.jpg

I have a good friend that happens to own a limo business, so we hired him to drive us to Philadelphia International. The limo came at 5:00am. This is my wife Val and my oldest child, Alexandra, getting spoiled in the limo.

DSC01283-XL.jpg

Sterg and I on the other seat…

DSC01284-XL.jpg

While Toni caught a few z’s.

DSC01282-XL.jpg

Everything was going fine. We were making great time on the Turnpike until we were detoured off of it an exit too soon. Unfortunately, this was only the first of our several delays that morning.

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

I love that this TR is making a comeback - imagine my surprise when it showed up in my subscribed threads list!

One of my top TRs of all time, I must say, Fractal. Good times :sohappy:

fractal

Original Poster
I don't post much but I have to say your trip report is my FAV!!! So makes me home sick for Disney :0) Great family pics as well!!

Thanks much! I'm itching to get back! I would love nothing more than to put up another Trip report. :)

I love that this TR is making a comeback - imagine my surprise when it showed up in my subscribed threads list!

One of my top TRs of all time, I must say, Fractal. Good times :sohappy:

Thanks! Good times indeed. :)

radev104

Awesome report. I had a great time reading it and it was a great distraction from my grad school readings. I have to start my PTR and now I want to try new things this trip but they might have to wait for my college program down there this fall. I am definitely going to check out BC now. It just looks so nice.

I love Toni's Halloween costume. I can't believe you lost power. I live in CT now and we didn't have power for about a week but my fiance and I went to my parents house (with his sister's puppy since it was way too cold for him in a house with no heat) in PA-15 minutes from King of Prussia Mall since they had power and heat!

Thanks again for the awesome report. Hope you can get back soon!

fractal

Original Poster
Awesome report. I had a great time reading it and it was a great distraction from my grad school readings. I have to start my PTR and now I want to try new things this trip but they might have to wait for my college program down there this fall. I am definitely going to check out BC now. It just looks so nice.

I love Toni's Halloween costume. I can't believe you lost power. I live in CT now and we didn't have power for about a week but my fiance and I went to my parents house (with his sister's puppy since it was way too cold for him in a house with no heat) in PA-15 minutes from King of Prussia Mall since they had power and heat!

Thanks again for the awesome report. Hope you can get back soon!

Thanks! If you go to BC, stop by Beaches and Cream for IceCream or lunch (or both).

That was a crazy October snow storm! Then we end up having the warmest winter of our lives. Go figure.

Enjoy you trip and I'm planning to get back to the world next year. :)

PhilharMagician

Thanks! If you go to BC, stop by Beaches and Cream for IceCream or lunch (or both).

That was a crazy October snow storm! Then we end up having the warmest winter of our lives. Go figure.

Enjoy you trip and I'm planning to get back to the world next year. :)

Wow, that October storm got us good. We were flying back into Stewart International in Newburgh, NY the day after the storm after a 2 week trip to WDW. There was no power at the airport so they had to fly us into JFK and bus us up to Newburgh where my car was stuck in the snow in the parking lot since they plowed the snow right up in front of it. Trying to jockey it out I hit a lightpole that was right next to the car. I called the State police they came and helped me out and wrote up the accident report and when I called the Airport 2 days later when it opened up they said that they are not at fault. :brick:

DznyRktekt

Thanks much! I'm itching to get back! I would love nothing more than to put up another Trip report. :)

Thanks! Good times indeed. :)

Amazing trip report. I saw it for the first time today. Thank you for all of the time and effort invested to put it together, and for sharing so many details. Really makes me want to stay at the BC. I have only read through about 8 pages so far and skimmed the rest, so I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet... You say you are "itching to get back" and that your wife is a beach person. Sounds exactly like my household. :lol: Could be fun next time to try 3 or 4 days on the Gulf Coast, and 5 or so days at the World. We started doing this the last few vacations, and it makes the trip seem twice as exciting, like two vacations in one. We love St. Petersburg beach because it is just over an hour from Orlando, is affordable, the water warm, and the sand sugar white. Our favorite hotel there is the Alden (has great, newly refurbished waterfront suites with a kitchen, living room, and separate sleeping area). Our kiddos are quite young yet, 1 and 3, but love to travel, especially to Florida. I hope they are able to humor their Disney dad as well as yours do when the teen years arrive. :ROFLOL:

fractal

Original Poster
Wow, that October storm got us good. We were flying back into Stewart International in Newburgh, NY the day after the storm after a 2 week trip to WDW. There was no power at the airport so they had to fly us into JFK and bus us up to Newburgh where my car was stuck in the snow in the parking lot since they plowed the snow right up in front of it. Trying to jockey it out I hit a lightpole that was right next to the car. I called the State police they came and helped me out and wrote up the accident report and when I called the Airport 2 days later when it opened up they said that they are not at fault. :brick:

Thanks for reading, and thank God for insurance! That storm literally ripped trees to shreds - the combination of branches with all the leaves still on and the heavy wet snow was devastating. My buddy is in the tree removal/trimming business and he was swamped for 2 - 3 months due to all the damage.

Amazing trip report. I saw it for the first time today. Thank you for all of the time and effort invested to put it together, and for sharing so many details. Really makes me want to stay at the BC. I have only read through about 8 pages so far and skimmed the rest, so I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet... You say you are "itching to get back" and that your wife is a beach person. Sounds exactly like my household. :lol: Could be fun next time to try 3 or 4 days on the Gulf Coast, and 5 or so days at the World. We started doing this the last few vacations, and it makes the trip seem twice as exciting, like two vacations in one. We love St. Petersburg beach because it is just over an hour from Orlando, is affordable, the water warm, and the sand sugar white. Our favorite hotel there is the Alden (has great, newly refurbished waterfront suites with a kitchen, living room, and separate sleeping area). Our kiddos are quite young yet, 1 and 3, but love to travel, especially to Florida. I hope they are able to humor their Disney dad as well as yours do when the teen years arrive. :ROFLOL:

Thanks! Last year we went to Stone Harbor for a week - then did Disney. I'm sure next year there will be another compromise to get us back to WDW. I like your idea - the only thing I would change is 1 or 2 days on the Coast and 7-8 days at WDW. :)

Enjoy the time with your youngins' - it goes so fast! Take lots of pictures now while they either don't know you are; don't care; or enjoy their picture being taken. Teenages typically don't want pictures taken or they plot and scheme to spoil them. :)

DznyRktekt

Thanks! Last year we went to Stone Harbor for a week - then did Disney. I'm sure next year there will be another compromise to get us back to WDW. I like your idea - the only thing I would change is 1 or 2 days on the Coast and 7-8 days at WDW. :)

Enjoy the time with your youngins' - it goes so fast! Take lots of pictures now while they either don't know you are; don't care; or enjoy their picture being taken. Teenages typically don't want pictures taken or they plot and scheme to spoil them. :)

The more time in the parks, the better. I agree. :D

We try to take many pics with the kids, but I think it was easier when there was only one to focus our attention upon. We'll have a good opportunity this weekend to get some great shots. We're visiting Lake Superior to do some hiking and boat watching. Summer is great!

motueka68

In response to your response to my comment above. :D Here's how I print my reports... I copy/paste them into a word document and then minimize all the pictures and embed them within the text. I've never been able to include as many pictures as I put into the online report - I just pick my favorites. Then I simply print them out, put them in page protector sleeves, and add them to a three ring notebook (I'm already up to my third notebook!):

IMG_2323_1.jpg

IMG_2327_1.jpg

Your 3 ring binder reports look fantastic... I would like to learn how to do that too... you need to set up a class ha ha ha..

fractal

Original Poster
Your 3 ring binder reports look fantastic... I would like to learn how to do that too... you need to set up a class ha ha ha..

Holly posted some good stuff in the "Scrapbooking and Craft" section. Worth the look if you are interested in this.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
hey Fractal,

I have just spent my whole night reading your story/holiday; it was amazing. Thank you for sharing!
You have inspired me to complete something so thorough when my family go in July; i think I need to buy an Ipad to help take the notes every day :animwink:

mousefreak

Awesome trip report, Fractal! Thanks for sharing your vacation. We are are headed back to the mouse Sept 2-8. My wife (WDWWIFE) has started a pre trip report and we're planning on a full blown report when we get back. Hope you have a trip planned!

fractal

Original Poster
hey Fractal,

I have just spent 3 my whole night reading your story/holiday; it was amazing. Thank you for sharing!
You have inspired me to complete something so thorough when my family go in July; i think I need to buy an Ipad to help take the notes every day :animwink:

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you decided to do a TR for your trip. I did take notes on my trip - but just used pad and pencil. :)

Awesome trip report, Fractal! Thanks for sharing your vacation. We are are headed back to the mouse Sept 2-8. My wife (WDWWIFE) has started a pre trip report and we're planning on a full blown report when we get back. Hope you have a trip planned!

Thanks! I will check out your PTR and look forward to the TR. I always thought September would be a great time to go!

Right now I'm looking at 2013 for our next trip. I'm anxiously waiting for the bookings to open up for next year. Last month we went to Anna Marie Island ( near Tampa ) for a friend's wedding. The first day Sterg, Toni and I hit Busch Gardens while Val and Alex went straight to the resort. It wasn't WDW but is a nice park and will just have to hold me over until next year.

Some pics from Busch Gardens Tampa...

438-Copy.jpg

558.jpg

555.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
BGT is a beautiful park but the layout is a bit strange - and if you thought Dino-land at AK was bad with the carnival games, they had them everywhere here. They did have some great coasters and animal exhibits.

525.jpg

465.jpg

469.jpg

460.jpg

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
Awesome pics of Busch Gardens. Im going to visit it when we come over to Floriday.
I have also been looking into buying the same make of camera for my wife (with the attachable lenses)
PS What's a pad and pencil :animwink:

catnrob

The more time in the parks, the better. I agree. :D

We try to take many pics with the kids, but I think it was easier when there was only one to focus our attention upon. We'll have a good opportunity this weekend to get some great shots. We're visiting Lake Superior to do some hiking and boat watching. Summer is great!

Yeah for Lake Superior! We live 1/2mike from the beach on Superior! Enjoy your vacation. Not sure where on Superior you are visiting, but if you are looking for any tips or local insight, let us know!

fractal

Original Poster
Did you ride Cheetah Hunt? Or whatever it is called. It looks so smooth online.

We rode it twice. It was very smooth and fun. The coaster would speed up as you went up a hill - which was a different sensation. It was also long - the furthest distance
from the start of the ride seemed like it was a pretty far off. It wasn't as extreme as a "dive" coaster but we enjoyed it.

439-Copy.jpg

Our favorite coaster that day was Kumba ( pictured above ). I think we rode that 4 or 5 times with little wait.

Some more pics from BGT...

483.jpg

491.jpg

560.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom