WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – My August 2011 Trip Report

WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – An August 2011 Trip Report

Welcome to my trip report! First, about the title. Reading the WDW boards lately one would think that Disney World was coming apart at the seams; Overrun by vicious gangs of Brazilian tour groups, Pop Warner boys and cheerleaders. Filled with broken down, outdated rides run by snarly cast members. The resorts infested by bedbugs, nasty housekeepers, and moldy shower curtains. The Restaurants serving up Dogfood burgers and steaks served with the leather hides still attached. The fireworks shows reduced to open fire pits and a few boxes of sparklers.

To be totally honest and sarcasm aside (kinda), I was really getting concerned about this trip. I had gone to great lengths and compromise ( see my Pre-trip report) to make this trip a reality. Now I was worried that once my family would see first hand the crumbling vestige that was once our favorite place on earth; this would seal this trip’s fate as our last one to the World. Well, I’m happy to say, with photos as proof – the rumors of Walt Disney World’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

First Day and intro to our family;

Our countdown was over. The paper chain in Toni’s room that started at day 178 was now down to day zero. It was 4 in the morning on August 6th and I woke up Toni and we tore up that last chain and started to get ready for our trip. By 4:30, Toni and her brother Sterg, were ready and waiting.

001-XL.jpg

I have a good friend that happens to own a limo business, so we hired him to drive us to Philadelphia International. The limo came at 5:00am. This is my wife Val and my oldest child, Alexandra, getting spoiled in the limo.

DSC01283-XL.jpg

Sterg and I on the other seat…

DSC01284-XL.jpg

While Toni caught a few z’s.

DSC01282-XL.jpg

Everything was going fine. We were making great time on the Turnpike until we were detoured off of it an exit too soon. Unfortunately, this was only the first of our several delays that morning.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
We were forced off the turnpike at the exit for Rt 100. From there we cut through West Chester to get onto I-95 north. This was working fine for awhile until we came to a dead stop on I-95. It turned out a truck spilled a load of mostly hair products on the highway. Dozens of cans of mousse were laying all over the road. This "sticky" situation cost us about 15 minutes. Still plenty of time.

We made it to the airport, unloaded and entered a long line to check our bags with AirTran. The line was moving along fairly well until a group of about 15 people showed up late to try to catch their flight to China. They had to move them to the front of the line and the resulting chaos cost us at least another half hour. It ended up they missed their flight anyway but they insisted on trying to check their bags. 🧱

We finally checked our bags only to move to another long line for TSA. After about 10 minutes in that line a TSA agent approached us and asked if we were traveling as a family. Yes! I answered. She took us to a separate line with no wait. It was almost like we were already at Disney and a CM gave us fast passes! Despite that, it still took us another 15, 20 minutes to get through the screening. I was picked out for the "frisking in the glass booth" treatment. That was very un-Disney like!

As we got through TSA and made our way to the gate, Val said "I really need some coffee before this flight!" I agreed and the kids wanted something to eat. It was 7:40 and our flight was @ 8:05 so I figured we had some time. Just then we heard an announcement for a last boarding call for our flight! Really? So we scrapped our plans for coffee and breakfast and high tailed it to the gate.

In hindsight, we could have stopped for 5 minutes to grab something because people ended up boarding well after we did - but I didn't want anything jeopardizing missing our flight. I imagined the "group of 15" emerging from nowhere to get in the coffee checkout line right before us.

We took our seats and from that point on everything just seemed to slow down and we could finally relax a bit.

Val definitely looks like she could use some coffee here...
DSC01286-XL.jpg

We ended up 15th in line to taxi for takeoff! Nothing like rushing to wait. Once it was our turn the pilot gunned it and we were airborne in about 5 seconds! I Sterg and I ended up watching "Battle L.A" but only finished 3/4 of it.

DSC01290-XL.jpg

After a smooth landing at MCO we headed to the mini-monorail to take us to Magical Express. Last trip we got lost in the terminal - going to the A side. Not this time. After Val hit Starbucks for her "real" coffee we were off to side B.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
There is just nothing like seeing the signs for magical express! I have to admit at being the most excited in the family when I saw the signs. It was at this point that Alex and Sterg started to do what all good teenagers do - make fun of their parents.

A few months ago they "discovered" that I was posting on this site, at which point they had some fun at my expense. Specifically with my user name.

"Dad? Why would you pick fractal as a user name?"

"What does that even mean?" "Don't people make fun of that name?"

So when I was getting excited as we approached the Magical Express line I heard the two teenagers " look, "fractal" is getting all excited!", "just tell them you are "fractal" and maybe we can go the the front of the line, he,he,he, snicker, snicker".

Thank God for my 9 year old.

Also understand that my wife Val is the least excited to be here. As I discussed in my Pre-trip report, she likes the beach, I like Disney. So it was kind of funny when we checked in to ME that the CM picked her out as the most excited and gave her some extra Mickey stickers. She was actually laughing at the kids making fun of me, then they proceeded to make fun of her and her extra stickers.

We finally got on the ME bus. Ahh! The vacation officially begins!

013-XL.jpg

It was also at this point that I saw how the kids got a hold of those extra stickers and put them on Mommy's back.

014-XL.jpg

016-XL.jpg

Of course, I wasn't smart enough to figure out that they were also on my back.

We sat in front of another family of 5 - just younger. The minute the Dad finished yelling at his kids he got on the phone with somebody and started complaining about his Disney trip! How much it cost, how he can't believe he got talked into it, etc, etc. He stayed on his cell during the entire bus ride. It was kind of bumming me out, but then I just hoped he would end up finding some Disney magic.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

Doesn't it always seem like it can't be just one thing that goes wrong? When one thing happens to make you late, more incidents always follow!! Glad you guys made your flight though!! :)

Can't wait to read more!!! :sohappy:

HopLow

Great start! Can't wait for the next installments!

And really, your kids are just doing their jobs. It's your job as the dad to embarass them and then they get to roll their eyes and make fun of you. It's the circle of adolescent life :p

fractal

Original Poster
Love your report so far..can't wait to read more.

Thanks! Should be able to post some more tonight.

Awesome start! Can't wait for the rest!

Getting me excited for my trip in 35 days! :sohappy:

Thanks. I wish I was 35 days from my next trip. :)

Great start! Can't wait for the next installments!

And really, your kids are just doing their jobs. It's your job as the dad to embarass them and then they get to roll their eyes and make fun of you. It's the circle of adolescent life :p

Lol! You are correct - and I do my job well. :)

Doesn't it always seem like it can't be just one thing that goes wrong? When one thing happens to make you late, more incidents always follow!! Glad you guys made your flight though!! :)

Can't wait to read more!!! :sohappy:

Thankfully, the time from our house to boarding the plane ended up being the worst part of the trip. More to follow soon!

Awesome start! Love the title and the "sticky" situation comment. Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

Gracias!

I'm loving it so far, can't wait for the rest!

Thank you!

disneygirl1

Love Love Loving the start of your TR!!! Can't wait to read more... Where are you from in the Philly area??? I'm 5 minutes away from PHL international. Right in the south Philly areas.

Sarabell

than you! you brought peace to my mind... I was also getting kinda concerned with all the complaining on these forums that I would be in a place that looked more like the ¨Life after Disney¨ thread.

I´ll be here waiting to devour more posts. Keep´em coming!!:wave:

fractal

Original Poster
waiting to read the rest! GReat so far!

thanks! more coming soon.

I'm in! Bring on the Disney magic. :sohappy:

Thanks Holly. The magic is on its way!

Love Love Loving the start of your TR!!! Can't wait to read more... Where are you from in the Philly area??? I'm 5 minutes away from PHL international. Right in the south Philly areas.

Thanks. We live in Berks County - or if you are Pennsylvania Dutch (i'm not), it's Berks Cooownty now wonst.

than you! you brought peace to my mind... I was also getting kinda concerned with all the complaining on these forums that I would be in a place that looked more like the ¨Life after Disney¨ thread.

I´ll be here waiting to devour more posts. Keep´em coming!!:wave:

Keep your mind at ease. You are going to have a great time!

sweetpee_1993

I freakin' love teenagers! This sounds like a whoooole lotta fun! (((you don't even wanna know what auto correct just gave me for the word 'whoooole'...good Lord, I'm glad I caught that one!))) Bring on the laughs! I'm ready!

mamamouse

hey "fractal" are u getting excited???lol I've been anticipating this report the most,glad its here ,I'll need this to help get me through my 38 days of wait time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom