WDW retro logo. Merchandise? Yes. Officially? No. WHY?!

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
People buy merchandise with the gorgeously retro WDW logo. If they don't, Disney is just churning it out to spite us. So, my question is, why not reinstate the logo... officially? Does anyone really love the Walt Disney Home Video (however, serif typeface in this case) non-logo we have? When you think WDW, do you really feel like plastering uninventive corporate letterhead on your wall? Honestly, I'd forgive a lot of things if I signed onto DisneyWorld.com and saw that logo return. But that's extremely nerdy on my part... and would most likely fade. But it would still be fantastic!

Animaniac93-98

It's about Brand consistency. Use the same logo on everything. It's why they changed the Disneyland logo to this in 2001:

1602816764119.png

Why they changed it back, but won't for Florida I don't know.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It's about Brand consistency. Use the same logo on everything. It's why they changed the Disneyland logo to this in 2001:

View attachment 505685

In this case, they were branding it as a resort for the first time and had to differentiate the branding from Disneyland proper. The park didn’t change (or considerably change, don’t quote me on that) its logo then.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Matt Ouimet. I've heard that Tokyo Disneyland received a corporatized logo around the same time to match that was quickly rejected by the Japanese but I've never seen it. I also recall a unique Hong Kong Disneyland logo that was used in the preview center in the China Pavilion.

Are we talking about this?

View attachment 505807
Yes, that is the original Walt Disney World logo. The current one was introduced for the 25th anniversary.

GraysonsDad

Money. It's just like why a sports team will introduce "throwback" jerseys or "alternate" jerseys- to sell more gear. If my favorite team is red and white, they will have a red jersey and a white jersey. Once I have those, I don't need to buy anything else...unless they come up with a retro/throwback/alternate jersey, then I need to buy that one as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom