WDW Railroad Suggestions.

The Duck

Original Poster
During my last ride on the WDW Railroad, I was commenting to my friend that the only area on the ride that included themed scenery was Frontierland.

While riding past Adventureland, you pass through tropical landscaping and a few railroad props on the side.
Liberty Square is entirely within the berm so there's no theming here.
Fantasyland has no external RR theming until you approach the SBC station.
Tomorrowland has views of the Speedway but nothing of note on the opposite side of the track.
Meanwhile, Frontierland has a peek inside Splash Mountain, a view of the town of Tumbleweed on BTMRR, as well as various animals and the Indian village.

If you were able to add a little eye candy to the train ride, what would you add and where? Personally, I wouldn't want anything too elaborate or distracting but just a few simple props. For instance, while riding past Adventureland, I would add a leopard or a jaguar on a low branch right at eye level. It wouldn't even have to be animated, just staring down the passengers with a recording of a low growl.

What would YOU like to see added or would you prefer a simple ride through the Florida "wilderness"?

s&k'smom

Honestly when riding the train last I was quite happy, maybe a little updating on the Native American scene but they had the fence around the Fantasyland area and it made it very exciting to us and upped the anticipation. My son loves the train, beside the monorail it was his favorite.

Timon

The section behind Fantasyland could feature Sleeping Beauty which is under represented at WDW. Set in a forest would be her cottage. A nice feature would be some Animatronic Birds adjacent to the track. Finally a cave/tunnel set could be built to hide the bridge and have one show scene with the Dragon and Prince.

Sleeping%2520Beauty%2520Cottage.jpg

Sleeping%2520Beauty%2520Birds.jpg

SB%2520Dragon%2520battle%252001.jpg

powlessfamily4

Agreed!! Sleeping Beauty was my favorite as a child and I would love to see some theme representing her. I think this is a great idea.

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO..I'd wish they'd bring back Earl Boen to do a newer spiel for the WDRR As New FL is almost complete & Storybook circus finnally done....Hearing his voice again on the DLRR put a smile on my face when I was there last year...

hpyhnt 1000

If there is one thing I wish they would do, its do more to hide the backstage overpass. Camouflage it, theme it, heck-even painting it go away green would be an improvement over its current state.

jazznrachie

I always viewed the RR more as a mode of transportation rather than a ride itself. I do like your idea of more theming in the Adventureland area.

JIMINYCR

I know it's just a means of transportation from one area of the park to another and probably most of the riders are not looking for more theming but heck, it sure would make for a more interesting ride with something more to look at while moving around. Theres so many places where they could dress up the areas on both sides of the tracks. Place some people, buildings, animals, even billboards advertising things from that time period. Anything to Disneyfi it. But then it would mean more need for maintenance and upkeep wouldn't it.

Disney is currently working on a remake of the Lone Ranger. That somehow would be a good improvement to the railroad. However it is nice like it is.

The Duck

Original Poster
The Disneyland Railroad has the Grand Canyon and Primeval World. I wouldn't expect anything that elaborate but perhaps the outskirts of Fantasyland could have some characters from Fantasia like the Pegasus family nesting in a tree or some of the characters from the Dance of the Hours ballet. Alice and the White Rabbit are another possibility.
Tomorrowland has little room between the train tracks and the perimeter fence but hitchhiking aliens could be a fun addition. Especially if they were posed like the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

The Duck

Original Poster
If there is one thing I wish they would do, its do more to hide the backstage overpass. Camouflage it, theme it, heck-even painting it go away green would be an improvement over its current state.
100% agreed. That overpass has been an eyesore for far too long. Adding rock work to make it look like a tunnel would be great but a simple paint job would do wonders.

The Empress Lilly

The Disneyland Railroad has the Grand Canyon and Primeval World. I wouldn't expect anything that elaborate
Why wouldn't one expect something that elaborate? WDW's railroad was build unfinished. Pushed for time and budget in 1971, they did the bare necessity, they got the ride up and running, but without any show, which was left for a later date.

When the MK added Thunder and later Splash these incorporated show for the railroad. As did, to some extent, Mickey's Birhtdaylabnd/Toontown/Storybook Circus.

But it is not enough. The RR still needs much more show. The stretch behind Fantasyland is long and tedious, around TL it is barren. There are backstage areas visible too. Why not expect and desire more show scenes? DL and DLP both have gorgeous Grand Canyon indoor sections. Awesome, here's Paris:

Train%2001.jpg

The Duck

Original Poster
Why wouldn't one expect something that elaborate? WDW's railroad was build unfinished. Pushed for time and budget in 1971, they did the bare necessity, they got the ride up and running, but without any show, which was left for a later date.

When the MK added Thunder and later Splash these incorporated show for the railroad. As did, to some extent, Mickey's Birhtdaylabnd/Toontown/Storybook Circus.

But it is not enough. The RR still needs much more show. The stretch behind Fantasyland is long and tedious, around TL it is barren. There are backstage areas visible too. Why not expect and desire more show scenes? DL and DLP both have gorgeous Grand Canyon indoor sections. Awesome, here's Paris:

Train%2001.jpg
I agree with everything you say and I would LOVE something elaborate but I'm also realistic. If they can't/won't maintain what they already have, I don't see them building something like this. At least, not in my lifetime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom