WDW Railroad closing for a short period in April

Tom

Beta Return
Interesting. If true, must be a sudden change, since it's not listed on the official park calendar. Any indication as to why?

wogwog

Original Poster
Interesting. If true, must be a sudden change, since it's not listed on the official park calendar. Any indication as to why?
Some sort of unscheduled maintenance. Did not ask specifics. Although I am local to WDW I seldom go to MK due to the crowds. I just wanted to alert guests who might want to change what days they visit which park if the RR is important to them.

Tom

Beta Return
Some sort of unscheduled maintenance. Did not ask specifics. Although I am local to WDW I seldom go to MK due to the crowds. I just wanted to alert guests who might want to change what days they visit which park if the RR is important to them.

Good info, and that would explain the sudden closure, with no notice to the public.

MonorailLover

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the signalling system. Last time I was there (a month ago) the optical sensor didn't trip the change in aspect on Atleast 2 signals. This, if you know about trains, isn't safe, and probably needs to be recertified as in working order by whatever governmental figure that deals with the railroad.... If any. If the signals don't trip, and radios are down for some reason, it's easily possible there could be an accident.

alhurricane

Ugh...right in the middle of our trip. That's a bummer if true. Although at least we got Big Thunder back for our trip. :)

Curious to see how this affects crowds. I had the RR built into our plans on a few occasions. Does this also mean no Casey Jr. for the Welcome Show??

wendysue

Darn! It was closed in October when we were there. What are the chances that two trips in a row have NO railroad???

wogwog

Original Poster
I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the signalling system. Last time I was there (a month ago) the optical sensor didn't trip the change in aspect on Atleast 2 signals. This, if you know about trains, isn't safe, and probably needs to be recertified as in working order by whatever governmental figure that deals with the railroad.... If any. If the signals don't trip, and radios are down for some reason, it's easily possible there could be an accident.
Good analysis. I made a call to my conductor acquaintance and it is a signal failure issue as you suspected.

MonorailLover

Good analysis. I made a call to my conductor acquaintance and it is a signal failure issue as you suspected.
Just thought I would give an update. On train right now, leaving Main Street, train stopped in front of the tunnel, red aspect on signal, so it obviously is supposed to stop. After coming to complete stop, by accident, in not understandable jargon, comes over radio throughout the train, and 5 seconds after stopping, the engineer pulls two quick whistles, meaning immediate start of motion. Train goes through red aspect....... I suspect the sensor, be is optical or laser, is broken on he signal right before tunnel into splash mountain, and the radio is probably the train ahead confirming that they're out of station (or whereever the next block is)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Holy crap it takes 10 days to replace one of THESE
42SMU_ClearSight7000Sensor_right1-large_312w255h.jpg
These things are in stock for immediate delivery at all industrial automation suppliers.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Even though I'm probably wrong, and they are actually those, I suspect they use ones that are certified by the governmental body that allows them to run the trains.

I'm not sure if that particular series of A-B sensor is being used but if you watch closely at trackside you can see the photoelectric sensors along the roadbed and those are VERY standard parts

That's the thing If you have taken the Steam Trains tour the WDW RR is not subject to federal railroad regulations, Basically the only state/federal regulations that come into play are the steam engines themselves because they have boilers which are subject to requlations.

Bolt

There's more work to this downtime. I actually heard nothing about the sensor for the work being done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom