WDW proposal

RomanticGuy

Original Poster
am taking my girlfriend to WDW in August. I am going to propose to her when we are there. I just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion concerning my two possible scenarios. Scenario 1:
I take her for a carriage ride and then go to dinner at Victoria and Albert's. I was thinking of proposing either during the carriage ride with some champagne or during dinner at Victoria and Albert's. I don't know which would be better. If I do it at V&A's, when is the best time? I like the idea of popping the question during dessert but I think I prefer to do it before our meal, that way I won't be nervous the whole meal and I will be able to enjoy the meal.
Scenario 2:
I take her to dinner at another restaurant (such as California Grill) and take her on a cruise on the Grand 1 at the Grand Floridian and pop the question during Wishes on the boat again with some champagne.
I figure both will cost approximately the same, the boat might be slightly more but not that big a difference. I wanted to know if anyone has input which can help me. I want this to be the most romantic evening ever. Thanks for your help.

LetsGoAgain

Welcome! I vote for popping the question during the carriage ride. That way you can celebrate during dinner. Good luck! I can't wait to here an update.

Ilovewishes

Personally, I would go for during Wishes. But then it's my favourite show at WDW and I just find it incredibly romantic! Plus it's all about your wishes coming true and following your heart's desire and a proposal is exactly that!

But I would love either proposal! I didn't get one at all!

Good luck with it and let us know which you decide to go with!

LuisT

Personally,

I would go for the boat in wishes. That just sounds ore romantic to me. =). But that's really your choice. Whichever your more comfortable with! Go with what your heart desires.

MKCP 1985

guy responses in this thread should get 1/10 the weight of girl responses. :D

guy: just ask her during a commercial . . . cheaper. :lookaroun

so that being said, I'll abstain from giving an opinion, although both ideas sound great - much better than what 99% of the married guys on this forum did (myself included). :lol:

Master__Gracey

Well you can try to make this decision easier on yourself. If she likes to be in front of crowds then do it at dinner, if not pick the carriage or cruise. I would personally not propose right before dinner because she'll want to make a bunch of calls and talk to everyone about how it went and you don't want to miss the meal. I think the cruise would be a great experience. Good luck!!

bgoebel

From a girls perspective, My vote if fireworks. With the fireworks behind you, it will give such a dramatic backdrop (background effect/sound lights' and all) to amp up the romance value. Congrats. Great ideas!!!

RomanticGuy

Original Poster
Update:

hanks for all your helpful input. It has helped a lot. Here is where I stand. I have definetly ruled out the cruise option as it would be way too expensive. The carriage ride is also not really an option anymore let me explain why. I am not looking for a "packaged" proposla, something about a packaged proposal makes me feel like it would be too fake and I wouldn't feel like I put enough thought into it. After calling disney, they told me they have a package for the carriage ride where the driver stops half way through the trip and says something like "My lord, there is something in the road ahead, I will go retrieve it" And then he returns with a pillow and the ring. You see what I mean by packaged, they already have a script written.
So I am now leaning more and more towards the beach proposal. I want to go to a nice restaurant for dinner. I want it to be special so I am still considering Victoria and Albert's? Do you think it is worth it to make a memory extra special. (Note we looooovvvveeee Food!!!). I also contacted the Disney florist and they told me they could arrange to have the champagne, flowers, flutes delivered to the front desk. they told me to contact a manager at the front desk to ask for arrangements to have the champagne set up on the beach. Or I could always go to the beach, propose and then go to the front desk and pick it up myself. Someone at Disney mentioned that if we eat at Victoria and Albert's that I should do it at the grand floridian instead of the Polynesian. I was wondering how the view was at the Grand Floridian. Could anyone make a comparison of the two for me? I noticed Kona Cafe gets good reviews also, am I better to do it at Kona and then the Polynesian beach for the fireworks or Victoria and Albert's and the Grand Floridian beach.
So here is my new plan:
Go for dinner around 6:30 p.m. It should last until 8:30-9:00 p.m. Then head over to the beach to watch the fireworks. Pop the question as the fireworks start and then pop the Champagne.
Does this sound romantic? Will I ever make up my mind? hehe. I am so nervous that it could go totally wrong. Also does anyone have any suggestions as to how to organize the Champagne. I mean I can't really have her know there is a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Maybe I could get someone to bring it over to us? Anyone have any other ideas which might be easier to organize? ie. I could ask her as the fireworks start and then go to the front desk to pickup the package, but I'm not sure how far a walk that is and if it feasible. Also proposing at the end of the night? Is it a bad idea? will I be all nervous and agitated during dinner and forget the whole evening? Well thanks in advance for your help. In the meantime I will try to contact the managers at both hotels. Is the best time to propose at the end of the fireworks? Also what about photos. Is there photographers on the beaches or should I hire one??

Maybe I'm doing things a little complicated. Maybe the Grand floridian beach would be better? If we finish eating at 9:00 p.m. do I have time to make it to the Poly (since you say the Poly has a better view)? Or should I definetly stay at the GF? Mind you, it would probably be easier to convince her to hang around at the GF beach for the fireworks rather than take a bus to the POLY. She might get suspicious if I try to convince her to go to the Poly. What do you think about sending the champagne and flowers to the room. It would be much less complicated. right? I mean rather than try to get some concierge to bring it to us right after the fireworks. But then, would it be as romantic to have the champagne waiting in the room. Can the rooms as the Pop Century have a romantic feel if you add champagne and flowers? I don't want to stand there waiting for 20 minutes if he can't find us. Thanks for your help.

nolatron

The Poly has a much better view of the fireworks IMO. This is a view from Sunset Point on the Poly Shore.

(or watch the video)

You can also walk to the Poly from the GF along the beach. There's a path between the two resorts. You can even use the "I'm really full. How about we walk off our food" excuse for walking to the Poly after dinner.

Here's the path:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...164,-81.586812&spn=0.001812,0.002671&t=h&z=19

My proposal ended up happening on the balcony of our Boardwalk Suite. The beach and fireworks idea sounds great.

Good luck!

MKCP 1985

. . . sliding ever so slightly towards the suggestion in post #5.

:ROFLOL:

"You are not the first to travel this path, nor shall you be the last." :D

RomanticGuy

Original Poster
Just watched your video. Thanks a lot.

I was under the impression that you could hear the music from the fireworks as well. Do you think I am better to head back to the park and maybe do it by the wishing well. Is there a lot of people by the wishing well during the fireworks? I would like it to be special and would like it to be private as well. This way I would also be very close to the castle, the fireworks and we would have nice music.???

nolatron

Do you think I am better to head back to the park and maybe do it by the wishing well.

That's what my original plan was, but throughout the day (not during fireworks) I could never find a moment where there wasn't a crowd of people around the well every time we passed by the area. So I gave up and went with the backup room plan. She appreciated the private proposal in the end, too. heh... *phew*.

My guess based on that is that you'll probably have a lot of people in the area staring straight up in the sky during fireworks if that area is open.

Of course, can you even see fireworks from the well? Seems like you'd have the castle in the way.

You are correct though. You won't hear any of the music from the fireworks show outside of the park. Just the explosions. It was quite nice though from the shore to me since I'm not too crazy about the wishes audio track. The wife and I got married at Sunset Point so we really enjoyed the spot.

bgoebel

Definately private proposal (again, girls perspective here). Not many girls actually delight in the over the top (name on the billboard at a baseball game proposal- some do though so I digress-and there's nothing wrong with either way). I personally think it leads to more romance and sharing an intimate time during this special time. Who cares about the music. She won't notice after you propose that there's no music. How bout (now this is a bit cheesey and can lead to some issues-if not noticed). But having the ring either in the champagne glass, somehow in a dessert you bring out to the beach or attached to a ribbon on the flowers?? Just an idea.

Master__Gracey

I proposed at the wishing well during the morning and it was a very private spot, there were only a few people that passed by the whole time. I have not been there during the fireworks so I can't really help with that.

Also, as my own opinion, I would stay from the ring in the food routine that so many other people seem to love. I just don't see the wonder of discovering the ring through choking, or if you see it before eating it's now dirty after you spent all that money to make it look clean and shiny. :shrug:

RomanticGuy

Original Poster
Is it foolish to spend so much money for dinner that night (V&A's). Should I tone it down a little and eat at Narcoossee's, Citrico's, Kona, or will I be sacrificing the romantic feel of the evening?

bgoebel

Master Gracey -good point about the ring in the food. I suppose I didn't think through the gunky ring in the food.
Romantic Guy- Are you a person who typically takes her out for big expensive meals?? If not, you might give her a hint that somethings coming if you go too big. Just pick the place that she will enjoy and the type of food she likes the most. She'll like it more that you considered her favorite foods, places over if you spent oodles of money. That's my opinion anyway. It's the proposal that she'll remember, not the amount of money spent. Hope this helps!!

nolatron

We love Kona Cafe at the Poly. Not the fancy/elegant atmosphere as V&A's, but I agree with the "super fancy expensive dinner from out of left field" might tip her off to something being afoot.

Ohana is also wonderfull (buffet type, LOTS of food). There's also the Luau at the Poly, (also lots of food, but you get a show too) but I think depending on the season/day you might miss the fireworks? I can't really remember.

Never geen to Citrico's or Narcoosee's though, so can't comment.

RomanticGuy

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. The question still lingering on my mind is if I would be better to have a nice dinner with wine at say, Citricos or if I should forget the wine and pay a little more to go to victoria and albert's? (My thinking here is that the wine might help me settle down) However I do want the entire evening to be memorable. Is Citrico's romantic or more family style? What about the food, is the food at Victoria and albert's going to be the best food we've ever tasted? As for the champagne and flowers, I will have the Disney florist leave them in our room. I know it isn't the most romantic setting (PC hotel) but we will make the best of it. I'm thinking that my girl will be happy seeing a room filled with petals, flowers, champagne and me no matter which resort it is at. I am also going to try to get some flutes engraved with our names and the date. I am still contemplating the cinderella slipper also engraved. It might make a nice keepsake and would make a great discussion piece in our curio. As for the fireworks, I have never been to Disney much less seen wishes. Can anybody tell me the best part of it. Should I ask after they are finished or close to the end? How will I know when to ask to time it perfecly? Also, does anyone know if there are photographers strolling around the beach of the GF at night? Or are there other people, I could always ask someone to take our picture and drop on one knee as they are taking the picture. Thanks again for all your help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom