WDW power resources....

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by sheleski
Does WDW generate all of it's power needs?

No. They generate some of it north of the MK - but the property has outgrown that plant's capacity. They buy a lot from local utilities.

TheDisneyMagic

Great pic, I always believed that that pilon was just something the electricity company done, I didn't realise that this was actually supplying Disney with electricity.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by jddjcfc
Great pic, I always believed that that pilon was just something the electricity company done, I didn't realise that this was actually supplying Disney with electricity.

I've never actually seen that power pole in person, only in pics. But originally they wanted to be self-sufficient, but they obviously out-built their internal power generating capacities.

TheDisneyMagic

mkt said:
WDW can only provide approx 30% of its own power...
Sorry to bring this thread back again but I was going through my subscribed threads and it was sort of like a cliff hanger ending. Do you know why they only have the ability to provide 30% of it's electricity needed? Would it be possible in the future if they were to build a new infrustructure for their Power plants?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe in 1971 the Central Energy Plant (in North Service area) could generate enough to keep the park, 2 hotels and T&TC/Monorail ticking over. The 2 Gas turbine engines at the CEP provided 11,000 kilowatts in total, certainly enough for emmergency power in a blackout. As the resort expanded, the CEP could obviously supply less and less, to todays 30%.

Don`t forget the Reedy Creek charter allows TWDC to build a Nuclear Reactor on property - this would solve the problems of supply!!

Woody13

It ultimately comes down to public relations, practicality and expense. It is far less expensive for WDW to buy the power they need from independent power utility companies than to build and maintain their own power plants. Also, keep in mind, that most power companies in the USA have rather bad reputations for being dirty, creating pollution and charging too much. WDW doesn't need that kind of bad public relations problem.

peter11435

mkt said:
WDW can only provide approx 30% of its own power...

Actually that is not entirely true. This article was taken directly for the RCID website.

DISTRICT TO INCREASE POWER GENERATION CAPACITY - 12/15/2004

RCID Utilities is moving forward with a project to replace the existing General Electric LM5000 gas turbine with a new LM6000 turbine.

The original gas turbine was installed in 1989. The new turbine will provide a capacity of 55 MW, an increase of 15 MW over the existing unit. The increased power capacity represents 29% of the District’s average electrical demand.

The increased power generation capacity will allow RCID to provide its customers with additional clean, efficient and cost effective power at a rate less than that which the District could purchase from other utilities. This increased on-site generation capacity will also allow the District to better meet peak demands as well as provide a minimal level of back-up power source in the event external power sources experience significant failures.

The $14.8 million project is scheduled for completion in December, 2005.
If 15 MW is 29% of what is needed then they only need around 50 MW and currently can generate 40 MW. Thus they can produce around 80% of what the needed but will soon be able to produce all of the needed electricity. You can see a new power substation that was recently constructed on victory was near Pop Century.

ogryn

peter11435 said:
Actually that is not entirely true. This article was taken directly for the RCID website.

If 15 MW is 29% of what is needed then they only need around 50 MW and currently can generate 40 MW. Thus they can produce around 80% of what the needed but will soon be able to produce all of the needed electricity. You can see a new power substation that was recently constructed on victory was near Pop Century.

The way I read it was after the upgrade, they can produce 29% of their power needs.

peter11435

ogryn said:
The way I read it was after the upgrade, they can produce 29% of their power needs.
Well, you may be correct. I understood the "increased power capacity" to be the 15 mw addition. However I guess it could be the whole 55.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom