WDW planning is getting stressful

bryanfze55

My family and I have been visiting both WDW and Disneyland for about five years now. We love both, and I have often defended WDW, notably the Magic Kingdom, against detractors who say it’s inferior to Disneyland, Universal, etc. I believe WDW offers certain experiences you just can’t get anywhere else.

However, planning for WDW trips is beginning to take its toll. My family isn’t fond of heat, so we typically try to go to Disney Parks in fall or winter. This year we were planning to go to WDW the week of Dec. 7-14. I just cancelled and decided to go to Disneyland instead. We have a nearly one year old daughter, and being able to walk from your hotel/motel to the park entrance in 5-7 minutes just sounded heavenly compared to the transportation logistics at WDW.

Another key factor in our decision is the presence of the Christmas party at WDW. It was occurring at MK four of the seven days we had intended to go. My family doesn’t have much interest in the Christmas party. We did it once - it was still extremely busy, and I just didn’t see the value for my money. So that left us doing MK the three days the party was not occurring - and in our recent experience, crowds at MK are unbearable on the non-party days since most people don’t want to pay for the event. Meanwhile, at Disneyland, guests get to enjoy all the holiday celebrations plus some fantastic holiday overlays without paying for a hard ticket event.

Also, with Rise of the Resistance opening at WDW on 12/5, I had my suspicions that DHS would be a logistical nightmare. I do enjoy DHS, but the fact is my 5-year-old daughter can only do a few rides in that park. I’m not a huge defender of California Adventure; however, there’s over a dozen rides in that park she can do. Some of them are tacky carnival rides, but if crowds are bad, at least there is a backup plan. At DHS, if crowds are bad, all the lines will be super long since the park is so under built. A few of the shows are great, but they’re the same thing every time. None of them have really been updated in a very long time. This may be fine for the once in a lifetime guest, but for WDW regulars - it loses appeal. I say this as a huge Muppets fan. Meanwhile, at Disneyland, they’re doing a special holiday version of World of Color. Go figure.

I still love WDW. I’m definitely going to miss some things by cancelling my trip - Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pandora, Expedition Everest, Spaceship Earth, World Showcase, ToT... but the fact is, I think the guest experience is dwindling at WDW in comparison to its west coast counterpart. And for my family, the logistics of planning a WDW trip with an infant was just too much. We will definitely go back someday, but for now we may be a Disneyland family.

For whatever reason, it seems that Disney has really tried to market WDW as THE place they want you to go. They don’t do that with Disneyland. None of the families I know (I live in the Midwest) have gone to Disneyland. It doesn’t even cross their mind. However, at worst, the quality is about the same at both resorts. WDW has a “bubble.” But Disneyland tends to keep its parks fresher and more updated due to it being a locals’ park. It would just be nice to see WDW be a little more like Disneyland... less planning. Maybe that’s not possible given their guest count, but it seems that’s a self-inflicted wound by marketing WDW as the go-to place for American families, rather than Disneyland, all the while neglecting to properly build-up the four WDW parks and keep them fresh.

No real point to this post other than to vent and see if anybody else is having similar frustrations with the way WDW is headed... I guess you could say I’m also encouraging people to give a look to Disneyland if the thought has never crossed their mind. It’s all the euphoria without all the stress.

Weather_Lady

I hear you, OP. For many of the same reasons, my family will be off to our first-ever Disneyland vacation in a little over 3 weeks! While I admit that I enjoy the challenges and military-level-precision "strategery" involved in planning a WDW vacation, the relatively relaxed and stress-free Disneyland planning has been a breath of fresh air. And it's cheaper, too! Even though we live in New York and have to travel further to get there, plus rent a car, our Disneyland vacation (tickets+hotel+food+transportation) will cost about 15% less than a trip of comparable length to WDW, largely thanks to the significantly lower prices for hotels that are just steps away from the front gates.

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
It's either stressing with all the pre-trip planning or, stressing during a WDW vacation because you didn't plan at all!

I'd rather stress before our vacation! 😅

Oh I absolutely agree. And I don’t necessarily mind planning my trip. It CAN be fun. And it’s definitely better to plan than to not plan. However, even with a great plan, it can be difficult to execute at WDW if anything goes wrong.

But... there’s another Disney resort in the US where it seems you don’t have to stress much before or during the trip. No, you can’t go horseback riding or play golf on property owned by Disney. But you can get a great theme park experience.

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
I hear you, OP. For many of the same reasons, my family will be off to our first-ever Disneyland vacation in a little over 3 weeks! While I admit that I enjoy the challenges and military-level-precision "strategery" involved in planning a WDW vacation, the relatively relaxed and stress-free Disneyland planning has been a breath of fresh air. And it's cheaper, too! Even though we live in New York and have to travel further to get there, plus rent a car, our Disneyland vacation (tickets+hotel+food+transportation) will cost about 15% less than a trip of comparable length to WDW, largely thanks to the significantly lower prices for hotels that are just steps away from the front gates.

Yes, we’re staying at the Fairfield Inn - a five minute walk from the Disneyland entrance. I have stayed here before and would put the quality somewhere between a value and moderate at Disney. Great service, clean rooms. Five nights there and five day park hoppers was nearly $1000 less than seven nights at Pop Century and a seven-day base ticket at WDW.

A lot of people say five days is too much at Disneyland, but that’s only if you hit the headline attractions and call it a day. We love to explore every nook and cranny, and five days hopping between DL and DCA is a complete and satisfying experience. We can see everything without feeling rushed.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

posts like these is why my wife and i just do what we want, when we want. we grab what fast passes we can in real time, and if we have time, stand in a lie, but we cap that at 45 to an hour, and only if we need a break. We still have great trips, we still see everything we want, and were not tied. Just our way of keeping the stress out of disney :)

Upvote 0

lebeau

I would encourage you to check out Disneyland. For the price of Disney World value or less, you can get a hotel within a ten minute walk of Disneyland. You wake up, walk to the park, and schedule your Fast Passes that day just like everyone else. No pre-planning required, unless you want a certain dining reservation. There’s fewer table service restaurants at Disneyland, but the quick service is miles better.

For us, a trip to Disneyland is about the same as a trip to Disney World. The flight is a bit more to LAX than Orlando and we have to rent a car in California, but the hotel and ticket package are a lot cheaper at Disneyland. Granted, we only do Disneyland for five days while we do WDW for seven. But five days at DL is arguably more fulfilling than seven at WDW since the footprint is so small. You can take it easy and just go with the flow and still see everything you want.

I know I probably sound like an infomercial for Disneyland, and that’s not my intent. I love both places equally. And for an adults only trip, I might still choose WDW. But the fact is, Epcot and DHS just aren’t great parks for children under 5, and the amount of pre-planning required just isn’t compatible with very young kids in my opinion. I’m honestly shocked more people don’t look into Disneyland as an alternative. As I said, where I live, people seem to think it’s Disney World or bust. In reality, Disneyland Park is better than the Magic Kingdom. And California Adventure is probably an inferior theme park to Animal Kingdom or Epcot - but at the end of the day, there’s simply more to do, especially for young kids. If you want a zoological experience, a visit to the San Diego Zoo and/or Safari Park are a great add-on to a Disneyland trip. It’s no Animal Kingdom, but San Diego Zoo sets the bar as far as zoos go...

Anyways, I’m off track. Just wanted to throw it out that Disneyland may be a good way to get your Disney fix in without all the planning and logistics. My family has no interest in Universal, so that wouldn’t be our second choice but YMMV based on kids’ ages and interests.

We have actually been looking at Disneyland as an alternative. One of the things we like about Universal is the ability to walk wherever we want to go and not deal with buses. Disneyland has that going for it. It will probably happen sooner or later.

My kids are older to the point where they would enjoy things at Epcot and DHS, but I agree that WDW is hard to navigate with young kids.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You don't even have to rent a car. I've made trips to DLR flying in to John Wayne/Orange County airport and used the SuperShuttle to get to my hotel... it was like $15 per person and I didn't have to pay for parking.

For Dubya-Dee-Dubya, though, it's getting ridiculous with the mandatory planning, and then there's the real chance that they'll change up all the rules after you make your plans and you'll be completely screwed before you even get there. And don't even get me started on the rides going down, the ticket system going down, the POS systems going down... all that and upcharges, too!

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
You don't even have to rent a car. I've made trips to DLR flying in to John Wayne/Orange County airport and used the SuperShuttle to get to my hotel... it was like $15 per person and I didn't have to pay for parking.

For Dubya-Dee-Dubya, though, it's getting ridiculous with the mandatory planning, and then there's the real chance that they'll change up all the rules after you make your plans and you'll be completely screwed before you even get there. And don't even get me started on the rides going down, the ticket system going down, the POS systems going down... all that and upcharges, too!

Personal anecdote, but for us, flying into San Diego and renting a car to get us to Anaheim is cheaper than flying into John Wayne or even LAX. We usually don't keep the car; I drop my family off at our hotel and then return it to the nearest drop-off location, which is usually on Katella. Then I walk or Uber back to the hotel.

Upvote 0

Touchdown

This is why I rotate my APs, I enjoy DL, WDW, and Universal but none are perfect. I’m not a big fan of booking 6 months out especially when hours are not released for parks (those should at least be released 190 days out) not do I like how planned my day is and locked in with Fastpasses in Florida, Universal isn’t as timeless, and the DL AP clientele can get grating fast. Embrace variety, it’s the spice of life.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

I think you've made a great choice! It's my favorite park for the holidays and we usually go every year. Your little girl will enjoy the parade- I'd suggest getting a spot across from IASW early so that you can enjoy the IASW lights and music before the parade. If you have time, visit the gingerbread house in the Grand California Hotel and look for the hidden Mickeys.

Really, if something doesn't work for you, there's no reason to try and force it. Go have fun at DL!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom