WDW Pictures from the 80's

Minnie1976

Original Poster
There's a 70's thread of pictures so I thought I'd start an 80's thread of Disney World Pictures. This is my youngest son with his goofy hat next to Goofy. the characters were still just walking around the MK. The picture was taken in March of 1984.
19840305WSMikeandGoofScan2316.jpg

PeoplemoverTTA

I love threads like this!

Here's some pics from my first trip in 1986. I'm the adorable, 5-year old girl with the annoying hat (ever since I was a kid, the sun gets to me...I still have to wear a hat, and I'm 30!):

I wish they still offered this...people still talk about this photo (everyone thinks the pirate is a real person, lol)
001_1_1.jpg

I'm in the camp that misses the lush trees around the hub:
002_2_2.jpg

Space Chip and Dale:
017_17_2.jpg

Somehow, a pinwheel on his head makes Pluto futuristic :ROFLOL:
012_12_2.jpg

My mom had really poor vision in the 80s, and got lost in the dark caves on TSL. My dad left her in there and some nice man had to help her out. She still won't go back. In this pic she still looks a little bit miffed about it, lol:
011_11_2.jpg

Looking tired:
009_9_2.jpg

And rainbows are apparently futuristic too, lol...but, I LOVED meeting EPCOT versions of characters, and wish they would bring them back (saw some newer ones in 2006, but haven't since):
008_8_2.jpg

This looks like the nice path from Frontierland to Liberty Square, but I'm not sure:
005_5_2.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Does anyone know if this little guy is still in Expcot? Even though I've been to Disney World recently I don't remember seeing him or I have just skipped that part of Epcot.
SMRT-1 !! :eek:

He's no longer there. He used to be in the Computer Exchange in Communicore East. He's been gone forever, some of the park trivia buffs will know an exact date.

The Empress Lilly

Oh! These three pictures bring me back to the 1980's so much! They are more elegant views from a more civlised age.

Pic1: Main Street West has been ripped out for more streetfront store space.
Pic2: I'd swap Splash for FL train station anytime, but still.... The old set-up made Thunder feel more out in the country. Nor was the theme broken with a Southern ride in the middle of the Frontier west.
Pic3: The third is the Swan Boats, which I adore. Such splendid views of the castle, the palace, the Swiss Family Treehouse.

The elegance of the flower market, the view of the sumptuous Crystal Palace from a gently floating boat, the nature and the wide open spaces of Frontierland - these are what made Disney great. These are what constitute the magic.

Minnie1976

Original Poster
Oh! These three pictures bring me back to the 1980's so much! They are more elegant views from a more civlised age.

Pic1: Main Street West has been ripped out for more streetfront store space.
Pic2: I'd swap Splash for FL train station anytime, but still.... The old set-up made Thunder feel more out in the country. Nor was the theme broken with a Southern ride in the middle of the Frontier west.
Pic3: The third is the Swan Boats, which I adore. Such splendid views of the castle, the palace, the Swiss Family Treehouse.

The elegance of the flower market, the view of the sumptuous Crystal Palace from a gently floating boat, the nature and the wide open spaces of Frontierland - these are what made Disney great. These are what constitute the magic.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I miss the more elegant time of the 80's at the Magic Kingdom and also the attractions at Epcot Center that are no longer there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom