Walt Disney World theme park hours updates

plawren2

Cancel a trip: I doubt it.

But I see in many discussions, very common refrain: "I'm not going back while it's so limited" -- And hours are a big part of that.
And especially for guests who like to go at night. They see there are NO night hours being offered, they are less likely to book.
I have lifetime 15 trips to WDW, and yes reduced hours (and without EMH or FP+) impacts my ability to plan and enjoy a trip to WDW. We typically are in one park from rope drop to close, and the more hours the better vacation experience for us.

ToTBellHop

Cancel a trip: I doubt it.

But I see in many discussions, very common refrain: "I'm not going back while it's so limited" -- And hours are a big part of that.
And especially for guests who like to go at night. They see there are NO night hours being offered, they are less likely to book.
Yet crowds are up, up, up. A continued pandemic making international travel largely impossible leaves many Americans eager to take their kids to WDW. And the lack of FP is popular with many. I love being able to plan a WDW trip much closer to the actual trip.

ToTBellHop

I have lifetime 15 trips to WDW, and yes reduced hours (and without EMH or FP+) impacts my ability to plan and enjoy a trip to WDW. We typically are in one park from rope drop to close, and the more hours the better vacation experience for us.
Are you getting on fewer rides now than in 2019? that has not been my experience. I do, of course, miss shows, and, in particular, fireworks.

havoc315

Yet crowds are up, up, up. A continued pandemic making international travel largely impossible leaves many Americans eager to take their kids to WDW. And the lack of FP is popular with many. I love being able to plan a WDW trip much closer to the actual trip.
It’s hard to evaluate the effect of factors that go in both directions.
Lack of international travel means more Americans picking Disney over an international trip. But also means fewer international travelers coming to WDW.

Lack of FPs is a plus to many. But I’ve also seen many people say they won’t go to WDW until FP returns.

I’m starting to see the silver lining of the lack of night entertainment. With no fireworks encouraging people to stick around, lines really go down at night.

Hard to decipher demand based on Disney’s actions. If demand was super strong, I’d expect announced re-opening dates for the remaining hotels. Big indicator may be in the new few weeks, when Disney announces summer discounts. Room discounts over 30%, with many resorts remaining closed, would be suggestive of weak demand. Smaller discounts, more hotels opening, would suggest strong demand.

plawren2

Are you getting on fewer rides now than in 2019? that has not been my experience. I do, of course, miss shows, and, in particular, fireworks.
I have not been since 2016 but I am not so sure Spring 2021 is good measure of lines and wait times since parks are not at 100% capacity plus social distancing in place (which reduces attraction load capacity and time to load). I am thinking of what post-pandemic conditions will look like in terms of wait times with parks back at 100% capacity without FP+

ToTBellHop

I have not been since 2016 but I am not so sure Spring 2021 is good measure of lines and wait times since parks are not at 100% capacity plus social distancing in place (which reduces attraction load capacity and time to load). I am thinking of what post-pandemic conditions will look like in terms of wait times with parks back at 100% capacity without FP+
They won’t return to 100% without a ride reservation system.

ToTBellHop

yea, how about you?
I think it will remain included, at some level, with a stay at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel or one of the other hotels who writes checks to WDW. I do understand they are contemplating a tiered approach--pay more, get more. But they are not entertaining a full-stop on a free offering, especially for on-site guests.

plawren2

I think it will remain included, at some level, with a stay at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel or one of the other hotels who writes checks to WDW. I do understand they are contemplating a tiered approach--pay more, get more. But they are not entertaining a full-stop on a free offering, especially for on-site guests.
How do you know what they may or may not be entertaining-pure speculation on your part??

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
How do you know what they may or may not be entertaining-pure speculation on your part??
They're one of several well informed members on here that (keep sources to themselves) and have a proven record over many, many years of sharing info (when they can) about projects.

ToTBellHop

I’m friendly with the right friends but know when to not say too much. With that said, final decisions occur higher than my friends, so I do not know what the final decision will be. The perception that Chapek wants to shake every last dime out of guests is accurate--at this point, the parks are busy (well, as busy as they can be right now) but not all resorts are open, so options to promote a resort stay while marginally impacting spending are being entertained. That’s why the 30 min EMH were announced. FP for resort guests basically costs nothing since they will need to bring back a ride reservation system, anyway. So, it’s a no-brainer. Having a reason to reopen the likes of AKL, BoardWalk, Port Orleans, and the last couple All Stars is very lucrative. International travel will be suppressed for years, so they’ll need to convince more Americans to avoid off-site locations and AirBnBs.

This belief that, given attractive features, they can get more money out of people is why the Star Wars hotel, of all things, wasn’t canceled when other projects were.

CntrlFlPete

I find it a little interesting when folks use park hours to say they are getting less -- I just mean this from an aspect of: back in the 80's, you would look at park hours and plan your trip when they were fewer as it meant the park was less busy -- didn't always work as they would just run one side of space mountain, less logs running -- all sorts of short cuts to slow the guest down.

It also scares me a bit -- when do they decide there is an AM park shift and a PM one -- I guess that will kill their park hoping $$ though.

I swear back when they were planning magic bands, they acted like they would see park tickets w/o rides, an entertainment only ticket for the grandparents -- I guess the parks just kept getting more popular for now it seems they need to figure out how to run the parks in two shifts. Shareholder value I imagine.

Notes from Neverland

I’m friendly with the right friends but know when to not say too much. With that said, final decisions occur higher than my friends, so I do not know what the final decision will be. The perception that Chapek wants to shake every last dime out of guests is accurate--at this point, the parks are busy (well, as busy as they can be right now) but not all resorts are open, so options to promote a resort stay while marginally impacting spending are being entertained. That’s why the 30 min EMH were announced. FP for resort guests basically costs nothing since they will need to bring back a ride reservation system, anyway. So, it’s a no-brainer. Having a reason to reopen the likes of AKL, BoardWalk, Port Orleans, and the last couple All Stars is very lucrative. International travel will be suppressed for years, so they’ll need to convince more Americans to avoid off-site locations and AirBnBs.

This belief that, given attractive features, they can get more money out of people is why the Star Wars hotel, of all things, wasn’t canceled when other projects were.
The irony here is resort perks being stripped away. The argument can be made WDW has made off-site resorts more attractive than ever at a time when they'll need to rely on them.

Chomama

The irony here is resort perks being stripped away. The argument can be made WDW has made off-site resorts more attractive than ever at a time when they'll need to rely on them.
We have never stayed off site. We are total pixie dusters and have given way too much money to this freaking mouse. We are finally looking to stay offsite. The benefits just aren’t there :(

doctornick

But that is @MansionButler84 's point - once MDE goes away in 2022, they will need something else to encourage people to stay on property. having some level of FP+ for free for resort guests but no freebies for off property would (along with the future EMH set up) provide decent value of staying on property versus off. I could see it being something like 1 or 2 FP+ (maybe 1 for values and 2 for moderates/deluxes) which would allow for a decent separate inventory of FP+ to sell at a premium.

Perhaps I'm being naïve, but I've got to think that Disney knows they have to do something more to encourage on property stays come 2022 especially since they will want to have all the resorts open and running and will need to fill those rooms.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom