WDW over Christmas Holiday

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I've been to WDW a million times and it's our favorite vacation spot but I've never gone over the Christmas holidays. Any comments good or bad from past experience regarding going at this time of year?

danpam1024

We used to go in early May, then late October. Last year was our first December trip, and we loved it :xmas:. There's nothing like it, the Osborn Lights are amazing:eek:, all of the Christmastime parades, MVMCP, Holidays Around the World (Showcase), Candlelight Processional, and all the gorgeous decorations. It's our new favorite time to go! Plus, it's less crowded and the weather is just perfect, 144 days 'til I'm there:sohappy::sohappy:.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
thank you

thank you so much for your reply. i've always wanted to go but just haven't for one reason or another and like you we usually go early spring, sometimes summer due to kids school schedules, and a few times in late january which has been good. i wasn't sure if it would be as crowded as the summer with the 75-120 minute waits etc... or if people just didn't think it was worth going over christmas. so thanks again.

ngynnhu

If you go the week before Christmas then it is not crowded at all. But if you go christmas week then it's really crowded. I recommend going the first 2 weeks of Decemeber. The weather is great also.

WickedQueen22

When do they set the lights for Christmas?

I want to take my daughters down for 2010 with a side trip to IOA for the 10 year old to revel in Harry Potter land.... anyways.... we are aiming to do about 4 days in WDW. We want to see Osborne lights and the decoration at the GF.

ngynnhu

the osbourne lights are open on the 28th of nov. this year i believe...They use do show the lights earlier like the 12th of nov but changed it this year, so it might be changed again in 2010

happymom52003

When do they set the lights for Christmas?

I want to take my daughters down for 2010 with a side trip to IOA for the 10 year old to revel in Harry Potter land.... anyways.... we are aiming to do about 4 days in WDW. We want to see Osborne lights and the decoration at the GF.

Here are the dates for this years Holiday events, including the Osborne lights. Looks like some things are starting later in November this year than in years past. Of course the dates may be different in 2010, but this will give you something to go by: http://www.wdwmagic.com/xmas.htm

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
disney over christmas holidays

thanks for the info. i had thought they'd be packed from thanksgiving through christmas. i wasn't sure about the crowding issue. i know the very merry christmas party ends by the 18th of december so i wasn't sure if it would be more or less crowded during or after this events running. i've done the 4th of july and although VERY crowded with preplanning of dinner reservations we did just fine so i figure it's probably about that crowded over christmas week. i have heard from others that on christmas day and new years eve you have to be inside either epcot or mk (if either of those are the parks one is doing) very early as they fill up very quickly. i appreciate hearing everyones opinions and thoughts on the matter. thanks a bunch!!!:sohappy:

ChrisQ

I've enjoyed reading these bits of advice. This year will be my first December trip (though it's been a lifelong dream of mine). Even though I wasn't the OP, thanks!

elisatonks

Christmas week itself is probably the busiest time in the disney calender, and if i had the choice i would avoid it. Having worked at WDW I can assure you the first two weeks of December are lovely and quiet, alot cheaper and yet you still get to enjoy the holidays with the exception of the holiday parade and fireworks at MK which tend to be kept for MVMCP and Christmas week.

If you plan to go during Christmas week, prepare to wait in long lines and if you plan to go to the MK get there early to get in before the crowds really swell. Also if you are going to be there for new years eve please note the traffic afterwards is horrendous. (I lived in lake Buena Vista and it took me 2 hours to get home from work in the early hours of new years day this year from MGM, it usually only took 15min.) Also if you plan to spend xmas day or new years eve at the MK get there when the park opens and stay there. If you leave you will almost definetly will not get back in again, as MK reachs capacity very quickly usually between 10am and 11am. It may be worth thinking about spending NYE at Epcot or DHS and catching the NYE fireworks at MK the night before as they usually do at least 1 practice run during xmas week. Also note DHS only has a big fireworks display a couple of times a year - NYE and 4th July.

Fashionista007

I went during Thanksgiving week a few years ago. The night of Thanksgiving we were in the MK late night. The next morning we returned to the MK and it was completely transformed for Christmas. I had no idea they were putting up the decorations and I had to hold back tears as I walked down Main Street with the christmas garlands overhead. It's a memory I'll never forget. I'm getting all teary just thinking about it!

This year we're going from Dec 12th - 18th which is at the tail end of Value season. I've heard it's great during this time, I'll let you know!

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
that had to be fantastic. i cannot imagine the man hours it takes to pull that together. i look forward to hearing about your trip!

Pixiedust1983

Me and my partner were in WDW 7th December 2007 for two weeks. Loved it!! Weather was perfect no rain!!
I would suggest you get tickets for the Very Merry Christmas Party it's in Magic Kingdom. The park closes to everyone apart from the people who have tickets for the party. It can be very busy though thats the only drawback. Most of the rides are open and they have christmas wishes and a chrismas parade. Also fake snow falls on Main Street USA. There is unlimited free hot cocoa and cookies. Very magical worth the money.
Another tip is I would avoid Magic Kingdom on the days the party will be on as the park tends to be extra busy on those days.
Hollywood Studios is good because they have a dancing lights show to various christmas music v pretty and christmassy. This is just in front of the Lights Camera Action show.
You will have a great time!

ChubbyK

I have been going to WDW the past eight years during the Christmas season. I usually go the very first week of December and the crowds are very small. The lights and decorations are wonderful. Don't forget to check out all the different hotels too ! And the MVMCP is a must to attend !

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
wdw during christmas week

are there any changes in the resturants service during the week of christmas, particularly christmas eve and christmas day such as with menus, hours etc...?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
do they run christmas themed parades in the mk during the week of christmas other than the mickey very merry christmas event that is? i'm trying to decide if it's worth it to do the mk on christmas day vs another park (especially another park that has extra hours that day) or if the day doesn't really matter if they do the same things all week.

lurvjessica

Reading this thread made me feel sooo great about my decision to go this December haha. My first time going for a Holiday. :xmas: Thank you all for sharing. I'm going December 6th-17th 2008.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom