WDW or Disney Cruise ??

WDW or DCL Anniversary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ParksAndPixels

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
We have debated whether to go on DCL or to WDW for our anniversary in the spring. We have never done a cruise but that's also the reason for having reservations. We have no children, so it's just the two of us. Is there really enough to do for an adult only cruise for 7 days? Or would we be on the ship wishing we had spent basically same $$ to go to WDW?

wogwog

We have debated whether to go on DCL or to WDW for our anniversary in the spring. We have never done a cruise but that's also the reason for having reservations. We have no children, so it's just the two of us. Is there really enough to do for an adult only cruise for 7 days? Or would we be on the ship wishing we had spent basically same $$ to go to WDW?
DCL. I am minutes from WDW and 60 minutes from Port Canaveral. No contest for me. Truth be told, by careful planning I have sailed multiple times a year for several years at Florida and military discounts. Through friends and relatives who work for the Mouse I can visit WDW mostly any day I choose for free or tag along with them on a cruise at a cast member rate even better than the other discounts. I have six cruises this year so far and two more on the books. I have two visits to the parks. So yes, I have a preference. I do not drag kids to the park or the ship and am never bored.

tmitch

I made a topic about regretting not sound dcl earlier. In my opinion its vastly superior to the wdw experience. Between the service, food, and attention to detail, it was an easy choice for what we preferred

lostpro9het

IMO, since you've never done a cruise, why not start out with a 3 or 4 day cruise and spend 3-4 days in the bubble? This is what we did last month for our first cruise, just the DW and I also for our anniversary. We hit the parks up for 5 days then the Dream for a 3-day cruise. I've been pretty much been dead set against a cruise until my DW talked me into a 3-day. Now I cant wait to get beck on that boat! I will say this, though, as much as I enjoyed the cruise I think anything more than 5 days may be way to much for me, but that's just me.

Last edited:

kasey1988

We love wdw, but did a 3 night cruise and 8 nights in wdw in September and am hooked on cruising! Going back in January for a 4 night cruise with 2 nights at a disney resort no parks. I say if you've never cruised give it a try!

atrus79

I second everyone else's opinion ... after going to WDW every year at least once for the past 15 years, my wife and I went on a cruise this September and booked for another cruise in May. If your concerned about things to do ... here are some things that we thoroughly enjoyed ...

Anyone Can Cook classes
Taking in a movie on the FunnelVision (top deck)
Taking a ride in the AquaDuck
Catching a current movie at the movie theater
Enjoying a relaxing massage at the spa
Participating in a Mixology class ... this was awesome!
Schedule a night at PALO or REMY ... amazing food!
Go on a detective hunt (It's a game for kids/families, but my wife and I enjoyed it so much too!)

Those are just a handful of things to do, besides just relaxing and taking everything in. Don't be afraid that the cruise will be too 'kiddie' ... besides having an adults only section on the ship, Disney does an amazing job balancing things out so everyone has fun!

EOD K9

The wife and I have been to the World many times and I have been there before more than she has. Among WDW, DL, and DLP I have been over 30 times. As much as I enjoyed it, my wife and I decided to try a brief land/sea option in 2013. We were two adults with no children and no idea what to expect. We had a great time seeing the shows, enjoying CC, and all of the great food.
We had such a great time we booked a quick trip while still on board with no parks and just did a three nighter. That gave us the opportunity to skip the shows and see Match Your Mate, go to trivia nights, and the like. It was too quick for us but enjoyable. As two adults, there was plenty for us to do. My daughters will be ten months old by the time our next trip rolls around and we are looking forward to the whole new experience. We will be hitting MK for one day just so I don't break my yearly streak of being in the parks. That being said though, I think cruising on DCL is the new way to go for us.
Going to the parks will be a must for my children as they grow up, however I feel that while DCL is expensive, you are getting a lot of value for the price. The decline of value per price in the parks is a topic of another discussion in another thread. Hope you can get on DCL and enjoy it!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I voted for the cruise as it is fantastic, hubby and I don't have kids either and we found plenty to do on the ship. We loved the adult only areas, especially on Castaway Cay. We only did a 4 night cruise and wish we would have had more time. If you are unsure combine it with a WDW stay. THen you can enjoy both! My hubby was unsure of a cruise and we combined two and now all hubby talks about is going on another cruise! If you do both, do the parks first so that you get the hustle and bustle over with and can really relax on the cruise.

PolynesianPrincess

Before my first cruise last year, I was a "100% Disney parks all the way, don't be silly and try and convince me to spend my vacation elsewhere because I will laugh at you and I know I will hate cruising" kind of girl. I went into my first cruise determined to not like it as much as the parks. Yes, that was my goal! lol And I am so glad to say I did not accomplish my goal of disliking cruising. After the cruise, I thought since we traveled with 27 awesome ladies that it was a fluke and I ony enjoyed it because they were there. So we did another 4 night cruise on the Dream in February. Nope, no fluke! We loved it even more the second time. It was a TOTALLY different experience than the parks. I'm not much of a beach person. I live on the coast of Maine and go to the beach MAYBE once or twice in the summer. I like the parks because there is AWLAYS something to do and we're always at a go, go, go pace. I like the cruises because there too is always something to do, but not at the go, go, go pace of the parks. Between excursions and all the activities offered onboard the ship, there is never a dull moment. The dining is FABULOUS and the shows are awesome as well. My suggestion? Do a few days at WDW then hop on a 4 night cruise. That way if you absolutely despise cruising, at least you won't be stuck on the ship for a whole week :)

ParksAndPixels

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Here's a question. My wife is not an ocean person... (Saw Jaws too many times?) anyways, I noticed nets in water in photos and videos. Is there any protections around island (like netting) to reduce chance of more dangerous sea life?

MaryJaneP

Saw net on CC around stingray experience. Not sure if it was to keep out intruders or to keep in stingrays. Kids did stingray experience and highly recommend. We snorkeled and saw submerged items but we didn't see a net that may have been there and we just didn't see it.

ParksAndPixels

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Yeah I have now read where there apparently is some netting /fence lines around family areas it apparently not at serenity bay.

StageFrenzy

Yeah I have now read where there apparently is some netting /fence lines around family areas it apparently not at serenity bay.

If you look at the maps you will notice that the family beaches are in a sheltered cove. This will keep most of the larger sea life out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom