WDW Marathon Weekend Historical Reference

OG Runner

2018: The year of the frozen Half Marathon.

I absolutely loved 2018. My son and I ran. We were from New Hampshire. We stood in line in shorts and short sleeves.
It was a bit nippy, when the wind blew, but 40 degrees is my sweet spot temperature for running a marathon. Though
ESPN was a bit of a challenge, I like that course better than 2020. In case you were wondering, the 85 degrees and high
humidity did not workout as well for me. :cool:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I absolutely loved 2018. My son and I ran. We were from New Hampshire. We stood in line in shorts and short sleeves.
It was a bit nippy, when the wind blew, but 40 degrees is my sweet spot temperature for running a marathon. Though
ESPN was a bit of a challenge, I like that course better than 2020. In case you were wondering, the 85 degrees and high
humidity did not workout as well for me. :cool:

It was definitely not 40 degrees during the half marathon that year (at least not at the start). My stats say 33 degrees (up 1 degree from two days earlier when I ran the 5k)

OG Runner

It was definitely not 40 degrees during the half marathon that year (at least not at the start). My stats say 33 degrees (up 1 degree from two days earlier when I ran the 5k)

Well the breeze did bring it down. I just run so much better in that kind of weather than last January's 85 degrees & humid.
I had run a half marathon about a month earlier, (December 8, 2019), in Haverhill, Mass. It was 8 degrees at the start. Trying
to run a month later with temps in the 80s and high humidity killed me.

Figment82

I loved the 2018 Half! I was pregnant at the time and my mom kept trying to convince me not to run. My husband just shook his head at my stubbornness and drove me to Academy to buy some warmer gear. 😂

It was one of those races where you finish and feel a little more bada** than usual. 😊

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I loved the 2018 Half!
It was one of those races where you finish and feel a little more bada** than usual. 😊

So true. Plus, it was the first time I did a race on my own (previously I was always with someone I knew while waiting to start and for the first half mile or so).

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I don't think there was or ever will be again anything like the 2010 Marathon. It was snowing for the first hour. People were gathered around the portable generators like those trash can barrels that have fire in them in Post Apocalypse movies.

I was so cold I had multiple layers on and my hands were so cold they were frozen around the little disposable camera I was carrying.....

Yes that's when I carried a phone and a camera.

I will never forget running through the Ticket and Transportation Center swearing I would never run this freaking race again. Then getting closer to MK and a woman slipping at a water stand, because the water stops were all freezing over from where people would dump their excess water on the ground. It was actually freezing as soon as it hit the asphalt.

I can still remember it was dark until right as we passed the Contemporary.

This was right as the sun started coming up.

I remember that sun being the most glorious thing ever. I was so happy to see the sun, but my whole body was still frozen.

I do remember seeing my wife on Main Street in the crowd, and peeling off a sweatshirt because the difference was shocking.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I don't think there was or ever will be again anything like the 2010 Marathon. It was snowing for the first hour. People were gathered around the portable generators like those trash can barrels that have fire in them in Post Apocalypse movies.

I was so cold I had multiple layers on and my hands were so cold they were frozen around the little disposable camera I was carrying.....

I will never forget running through the Ticket and Transportation Center swearing I would never run this freaking race again. Then getting closer to MK and a woman slipping at a water stand. This was right as the sun started coming up.

I remember that sun being the most glorious thing ever.

Belated congratulations! In 2018 my sons and I were on the only flight that got out of Boston to Orlando that day, due to a snow storm.
Luckily we have never dealt with snow in Florida. That is bizarre.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
At this time, many of the runDisney (or Disney Endurance Series) events included a free theme park ticket and/or an after party ticket. Towers, Everests, Wine&Dines. So this made sense at the time.
The free bonus came as a result of the Marathons record low temps, in my opinion. The 2010 Marathon weekend was the coldest ever. I really think the free admission was their way of saying "come back". 2010 was the apex, to bad they had to deal with those temps. The crowds have never been the same.

lukacseven

I will never forget running through the Ticket and Transportation Center swearing I would never run this freaking race again. Then getting closer to MK and a woman slipping at a water stand, because the water stops were all freezing over from where people would dump their excess water on the ground. It was actually freezing as soon as it hit the asphalt.

I can still remember it was dark until right as we passed the Contemporary.

This was right as the sun started coming up.

I remember that sun being the most glorious thing ever. I was so happy to see the sun, but my whole body was still frozen.

I do remember seeing my wife on Main Street in the crowd, and peeling off a sweatshirt because the difference was shocking.
2010 was by far, hands down the coldest. 2018 was not even close and IMO perfect running weather. It actually did warm up once the sun came out. In 2010, it didn't matter. The sweat on my hat turned to ice. At the water stops, the volunteers were dumping the powdered PowerAid mix on the ground to try to melt the ice.

lukacseven

Belated congratulations! In 2018 my sons and I were on the only flight that got out of Boston to Orlando that day, due to a snow storm.
Luckily we have never dealt with snow in Florida. That is bizarre.
In 2018, we were supposed to be in WDW on Wednesday morning at 8:30 am on a direct flight out of Philly. Due to the snow storm and flight cancellations, we finally got into MCO, taking 2 connections at 5:00 pm on Friday, just in time to get to the Expo & pick up packets before the half. Total transportation nightmare!

Goofed98

I'm pretty sure they still had red and blue starts in 2010. That was my first, and I remember having two starting points, and people passing by, having already run 2-3 miles before our corral even started.

lukacseven

To clarify: 2009 was the last year where there were 2 separate courses that went through Epcot at the start (blue & red). In 2010, they had corrals on both sides of the highway and you still ran through Epcot for miles 1-4, but everyone followed the same course (the former red course). It stayed like that for 3 years and then for the 20th Anniversary (2013), they added the race track and WWoS to the course and eliminated Epcot at the start.

OG Runner

I miss the race track. Mentally it helped, you entered went around the track and you were a mile farther into the race.
I never thought I would miss WWoS, but the latest course is not as enjoyable. I still think they could reduce the time in
WWoS and increase the time in Disney Studios for a better experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom