News WDW loses Pop Warner to Universal and Camping World Stadium

Chip Chipperson

I always avoid Pop Century and Art of Animation.

I'll be honest, I always thought I'd never stay at a Value resort because my first 2 stays were at Caribbean Beach back in 2015 and then we started upgrading to AKL and bought into DVC. But we stayed at Pop Century in 2019 and it was better than I expected. The rooms were recently renovated and weren't as nice as a Deluxe resort but still in better shape than I anticipated and I actually enjoyed the food court - mainly because they had a turkey dinner station and the turkey was actually good (I'm sure that might seem like a weird reason to like it there to some people, but it was a nice change of pace from the usual burgers and chicken tenders I usually get since I need to order from the Allergy Menu and options are limited). Add in the Skyliner giving us access to Epcot and Holywood Studios (and dining at Topolino's at the Riviera) and it's better than a typical Value resort (although getting the bus to Magic Kingdom wasn't fun at all, especially since we got stuck standing and were left with nowhere else to stand except the section in the middle where the extra-long bus bends - not fun going through turns, that's for sure). I rank it above Coronado Springs (I haven't been since the tower was built, though) and Port Orleans Riverside - and it was good enough to seriously consider it over Caribbean Beach the next time we book a cash room since they're both on the Skyliner.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll be honest, I always thought I'd never stay at a Value resort because my first 2 stays were at Caribbean Beach back in 2015 and then we started upgrading to AKL and bought into DVC. But we stayed at Pop Century in 2019 and it was better than I expected. The rooms were recently renovated and weren't as nice as a Deluxe resort but still in better shape than I anticipated and I actually enjoyed the food court - mainly because they had a turkey dinner station and the turkey was actually good (I'm sure that might seem like a weird reason to like it there to some people, but it was a nice change of pace from the usual burgers and chicken tenders I usually get since I need to order from the Allergy Menu and options are limited). Add in the Skyliner giving us access to Epcot and Holywood Studios (and dining at Topolino's at the Riviera) and it's better than a typical Value resort (although getting the bus to Magic Kingdom wasn't fun at all, especially since we got stuck standing and were left with nowhere else to stand except the section in the middle where the extra-long bus bends - not fun going through turns, that's for sure). I rank it above Coronado Springs (I haven't been since the tower was built, though) and Port Orleans Riverside - and it was good enough to seriously consider it over Caribbean Beach the next time we book a cash room since they're both on the Skyliner.

Your surprise is probably because “moderates” are the biggest ripoffs in wdw as far as “value”

I like them all...but redonkulously overpriced.

And I’m talking when the rates wheee $84-$149...I can’t even wrap my Brian around it now.

Last edited:

OG Runner

You would like to think Pop Warner is just for the kids, but it isn't. It will continue for a long, long time.
Football is the number one sport in the United States. Too many parents are still going to want their
kids to play and too many kids want to be a football star.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You would like to think Pop Warner is just for the kids, but it isn't. It will continue for a long, long time.
Football is the number one sport in the United States. Too many parents are still going to want their
kids to play and too many kids want to be a football star.

Football is the #1 SPECTATOR sport...youth football has collapsed in participation for decades.

I assume you see the difference?

Lilofan

Football is the #1 SPECTATOR sport...youth football has collapsed in participation for decades.

When I used to attend NFL games part of the spectator sport is when the drunken fans from the home and away teams start brawling for all to see. One time the NFL teams actually watched for a few minutes in between plays.

OG Runner

I do, yet how many participants do you think we be at this event. Even with the decreases the overall
numbers are still not small. Does your local town have a Pop Warner program still? Mine does.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do, yet how many participants do you think we be at this event. Even with the decreases the overall
numbers are still not small. Does your local town have a Pop Warner program still? Mine does.

Yes...and participation has fallen by 75% in 10 years...followed by a drop of several hundred percent in the two decades prior.

I played when I was a kid...I also suffered at least one severe concussion doing an Okie Drill when I was 8...

This isn’t going to go the route of anti science, is it?

Boy I hope not.

But youth football has and will continue to undergo a massive “demographic shift”...the best template of that is boxing.

Because college and pro football are awash in corporate money - that’s what it is - doesn’t mean mama at home is down with it.

Rteetz

Yes...and participation has fallen by 75% in 10 years...followed by a drop of several hundred percent in the two decades prior.

I played when I was a kid...I also suffered at least one severe concussion doing an Okie Drill when I was 8...

This isn’t going to go the route of anti science, is it?

Boy I hope not.

But youth football has and will continue to undergo a massive “demographic shift”...the best template of that is boxing.

Because college and pro football are awash in corporate money - that’s what it is - doesn’t mean mama at home is down with it.
I coach football. I do believe yes concussions play a part but I don’t think it’s the sole driver. I also coach baseball and am involved in basketball programs. Participation in all sports isn’t what it once was. So many kids now specialize in one sport or play club/AAU.

Youth football programs here in WI are not part of Pop Warner but typically tied to the high school as a feeder program. I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs in these programs over the years. Just two years ago the program that feeds into the school I coach for had some of its highest numbers in years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I coach football. I do believe yes concussions play a part but I don’t think it’s the sole driver. I also coach baseball and am involved in basketball programs. Participation in all sports isn’t what it once was. So many kids now specialize in one sport or play club/AAU.

Youth football programs here in WI are not part of Pop Warner but typically tied to the high school as a feeder program. I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs in these programs over the years. Just two years ago the program that feeds into the school I coach for had some of its highest numbers in years.

It’s also highly regional. Not all is as it seems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom