WDW Haunted Mansion Graveyard Ghosts Getting New Paint Jobs

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Smurfette was one of the weaker bride choices, visually. I get that they were wanting to humanizer her more to add credence to the growing bride-centric storyline that ultimately settled into Constance... but I thought her Smurfette's characterization was lazily put together. I guess it was a lack of character. Borrowing an existing head and giving it a ghostly paint job doesn't make for great addition. And by ghostly paint job, I mean blue. Blue paint. Spooky /s

Of the more recent Brides; Tokyo's has been the best so far. Good and creepy. Although still too corporeal, IMO.

Ideally, if they ever were to kill Constance (there's a story there somewhere... how did she die?) and replace it with a new bride, I'd hope they'd give us one more like Tokyo's complete with a candle and a return of the beating heart gag. My previous armchair envisioned her visage changing from a wispy skeletal wrath to a more full-bodied, corporeal spirit with each heart beat. Might could work, IDK.

The current bride is a half-step removed from what can be done by a typical home haunter during Halloween. I'll concede that she's better than Smurfette but only just. Maybe when HM opens the Graveyard ghosts won't be the only change. One can hope.

Last edited:

Imagineer999

Original Poster
@Imagineer999 if I may ask, was that a special open-to-the-public thing at the archives, or are you one of the cool people who can drop in?

Follow up question: do you get plus-ones?

A cool friend got me in.
20190805_100940.jpg
20190805_100847.jpg

FigmentsFangirl

Quite personally I prefer the current bride. If only she didnt feel like the dfrozen animations/facetracking then MAYBE she would feel more realistic to me. Overall though, I feel she fits with the ride properly.

But this is just me, I know others have different thoughts

Dragonman

Smurfette was one of the weaker bride choices, visually. I get that they were wanting to humanizer her more to add credence to the growing bride-centric storyline that ultimately settled into Constance... but I thought her Smurfette's characterization was lazily put together. I guess it was a lack of character. Borrowing an existing head and giving it a ghostly paint job doesn't make for great addition. And by ghostly paint job, I mean blue. Blue paint. Spooky /s

Of the more recent Brides; Tokyo's has been the best so far. Good and creepy. Although still too corporeal, IMO.

Ideally, if they ever were to kill Constance (there's a story there somewhere... how did she die?) and replace it with a new bride, I'd hope they'd give us one more like Tokyo's complete with a candle and a return of the beating heart gag. My previous armchair envisioned her visage changing from a wispy skeletal wrath to a more full-bodied, corporeal spirit with each heart beat. Might could work, IDK.

The current bride is a half-step removed from what can be done by a typical home haunter during Halloween. I'll concede that she's better than Smurfette but only just. Maybe when HM opens the Graveyard ghosts won't be the only change. One can hope.

There’s a theory that since the original Disneyland bride was a corpse and was originally behind a plastic sheet in the attic that she was originally envisioned to change between a human and a corpse due to the Marc Davis changing concept of her.

However the effect was most likely scrapped due to the figure having movement and the plastic sheet (which ended up only being used to make her look murky instead of being used as intended) was removed when she was moved to the location of the Hatbox ghost.
0079A40E-1F7C-48FF-9961-0B765F75B63F.jpeg

3CA8785E-2FC0-4657-96EF-DD64AC642A69.gif

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There’s a theory that since the original Disneyland bride was a corpse and was originally behind a plastic sheet in the attic that she was originally envisioned to change between a human and a corpse due to the Marc Davis changing concept of her.

Well how about that!? Leave it to Marc Davis to conceptualize the perfect ghost bride! Good theory. Sounds highly plausible.

celluloid

She is just too prominent rather than mysterious. Rather than a forgotten ghost, you have this maniacal slasher character spitting Freddy Krueger (but lesser) wordplay. If it was just a few of those different things it would be one thing, but when they are put together as a sum it just feels not only forced, but dominates the scene that could feature a lot more character in a setting of the attic. Forgotten and creepy, and menacing are very different tones among the Grim Grinning balance.
Also, showing too much of a good Magic Trick the same way. We already saw Leota, and later the singing busts. Too much of a good thing presented in too similar of a way becomes less impactful.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Well how about that!? Leave it to Marc Davis to conceptualize the perfect ghost bride! Good theory. Sounds highly plausible.

Ya know the method in making Paris's POTC Barbossa turn into skeleton. That! Disney should definitely go back to low-fi awesomeness for any future bride. I'd like to think that the OG corpse bride would have employed a similar effect.

Dragonman

Little bit of a mega post.

This video here is the only known footage of the original Florida bride in action under ride lighting at 5:32:

0ECBCC2B-0509-41CD-97BB-8383C08854CE.jpeg

The original California corpse bride can actually be seen in the infamous Hatbox Ghost video in her original position behind the nylon sheet.

The video misidentifies her as the prototype model (which was never in the ride) but further analysis has proven its the corpse version. This is the only known photography of her before she was moved to the HBG spot.
06D88E02-326C-4739-9D5B-08CBCF6684B3.gif

More info here at the wonderful LFHM blog:https://longforgottenhauntedmansion...e-comes-bride-part-two-beating-heart.html?m=0

disneyC97

She is just too prominent rather than mysterious. Rather than a forgotten ghost, you have this maniacal slasher character spitting Freddy Krueger (but lesser) wordplay. If it was just a few of those different things it would be one thing, but when they are put together as a sum it just feels not only forced, but dominates the scene that could feature a lot more character in a setting of the attic. Forgotten and creepy, and menacing are very different tones among the Grim Grinning balance.
Also, showing too much of a good Magic Trick the same way. We already saw Leota, and later the singing busts. Too much of a good thing presented in too similar of a way becomes less impactful.
Really well said.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Hmm... Is Constance the only ghost effect in the attraction that seemingly breaks the fourth wall as she spiels directly at the doombuggies?

celluloid

Hmm... Is Constance the only ghost effect in the attraction that seemingly breaks the fourth wall as she spiels directly at the doombuggies?

I would say no, as the place is a retirement home for ghosts there is no "fourth wall" she is just the only one as threatening and randomly menacing out of tone. I would not even say she is speaking to you, just saying random lines.
The Ghost Host is speaking directly to you as a tour guide, leaves and returns. The ghosts have prepared the swinging wake for you(I know not as direct. And of course, the pop up ghosts, song and Hitchiking ghosts are all about of the Grim Grinning Ghosts, coming out to socialize.
Don't forget Little Leota.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I would say no, as the place is a retirement home for ghosts there is no "fourth wall" she is just the only one as threatening and randomly menacing out of tone. I would not even say she is speaking to you, just saying random lines.
The Ghost Host is speaking directly to you as a tour guide, leaves and returns. The ghosts have prepared the swinging wake for you(I know not as direct. And of course, the pop up ghosts, song and Hitchiking ghosts are all about of the Grim Grinning Ghosts, coming out to socialize.
Don't forget Little Leota.

Yeah I guess that's not it. Can't figure it out. The tone is definitely off but that's a symptom not the cause. I think it's her speiling that ruins it for me. Wonder if swapping out the projected face with a static head wouldn't be better. Actually like the bouquet gag. An effect that is overshadowed by her talking. Less is more.

celluloid

Yeah I guess that's not it. Can't figure it out. The tone is definitely off but that's a symptom not the cause. I think it's her speiling that ruins it for me. Wonder if swapping out the projected face with a static head wouldn't be better. Actually like the bouquet gag. An effect that is overshadowed by her talking. Less is more.

I agree with you. No other ghost in the ride is as a focal point. The entire scene has become about a murderous personality. Even in it's exaggerated state, it is a different tone to a place where ghosts are welcome to retire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom