WDW fan about to try DL, need help.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
Hey folks. I am a lifelong Floridian and as such have only ever visited WDW. Well, the wife and I are taking a trip out to California next year, and we are going to make the pilgrimage to DL. Anyone out there that has been to both parks have any tips or advice? What are the differences? Should we hit DCA while we are there too? Thanks for any help! :wave:

goonie007

Better pirates, better IASW, Indiana Jones with its AWESOME queue, better Toontown

To me you can tell that the park has been there longer with all the lush growth and it makes me feel good knowing Walt walked the park :)

NiarrNDisney

Hey folks. I am a lifelong Floridian and as such have only ever visited WDW. Well, the wife and I are taking a trip out to California next year, and we are going to make the pilgrimage to DL. Anyone out there that has been to both parks have any tips or advice? What are the differences? Should we hit DCA while we are there too? Thanks for any help! :wave:

Hi I just went for the first time a couple weeks ago! I would say you will find the lay of the land in the "Magic Kingdom" to be the same just a bit smaller and with all these random but wonderful path ways hidden here, there, and everywhere. Must do's ride wise are of couse the Matterhorn, PotC, Indiana Jones, it's a small world (truly there is something really special about DL's), Fantasyland was incredible, and suprizingly enough I really liked Innoventions in Tomorrowland. Don't forget to ride the DL Railroad between Tomorrowland and Mainstreet USA because there are these displays Walt created. New Orleans Square was beautiful. Oh and the Skewers at Bengal Barbecue are a must. If you are interested I could send you the most recent map of the Magic Kingdom just PM me if its not to weird. :)

DarthGrady

Original Poster
Thanks for the help so far! I have been doing a little research on my own as well. I was happy to see that they still have 20k (although it looks like it got Nemo'd like The Living Seas did:mad:). I couldn't tell if it has Carousel of Progress, I think I remember seeing that DL doesn't have one.

The Matterhorn should be fun too, is it the same ride system as Space Mountain? Anyone know if the height/weight restrictions are the same?

Grizzly Hall 71

DL compared to Mk:
better pirates
has Indiana Jones
soundtrack on space mountain
Autotopia :)
Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters
toontown is amazing
after that it's pretty much the same.

YES VISIT DCA!! I never understood why everyone hated it, but when I first went there in 03', I LOVED IT!

California Screamin'
Tower of Terror (DHS' is better though)
Grizzly River Run
maliBOOMER
Soarin' Over California
not to mention the pacific wharf area

Testtrack321

Go pick up the Unofficial Guide to DL, sounds like that's what you want.

Remember, while both WDW and DL share similar rides, they are not the same, even in theme and scope. 20K at DL was Submarine Voyage and was very different from 20k.

DCA is worth it, especially for World of Color.

Grizzly Hall 71

Thanks for the help so far! I have been doing a little research on my own as well. I was happy to see that they still have 20k (although it looks like it got Nemo'd like The Living Seas did:mad:). I couldn't tell if it has Carousel of Progress, I think I remember seeing that DL doesn't have one.

The Matterhorn should be fun too, is it the same ride system as Space Mountain? Anyone know if the height/weight restrictions are the same?

STAY AWAY FROM NEMO! Long waits + slow boarding + same effects as the ride at Epcot = A MUST SKIP!

MATTEHORN IS MY FAVORITE MOUNTAIN. It's like Space but mixed with Everest.

No more Carousel of Progress. Innoventions is in its place.

EmperorMilenko

It all sounds fun, Indiana Jones is a ride in California right?

Also, whats the best FastPass strategy?

Same track layout as Dinosaur...but MUCH better ride experience. Just walking through the queue is a ride in itself, but be prepared for the journey...(and gently tap the lights hanging, it'll cause the lights to flicker on and off occasionally). DCA is a must (I've been dying to see WoC so get there early and get a fastpass for it). And go on the attraction formerly known as the Sun Wheel and sit in a moving car....very fun.

Testtrack321

It all sounds fun, Indiana Jones is a ride in California right?

Also, whats the best FastPass strategy?

IJ is my favorite dark ride attraction of all time.

Fastpass is Fastpass, don't sweat it.

Also, ride every ride there, even if it's at WDW. Many rides are different and I still wish I got on Splash and some others to see the differences... :(

ScrapIron

I have not seen WDW's Nemo, but like the DL version a lot, certainly better than the empty lagoon for 10 years. Best at night. We get in line just before close and exit to a wonderfully quiet park. I personally would be there at least 3 days; we usually stay 4-5. The attraction count of the 2 parks is not that far off of the count in WDW's four parks. Multiday tix bought in advance include one day early entry, which we use for the FIVE dark rides in FL, Matterhorn and a couple of Buzz rides. FPs will be taken late, and the Roger Rabbit FP machines are not connected to the rest, so you can get one there even if you just got one somewhere else. Space, Splash and Indy run out the quickest. We usually collect them in the morn to use in the eve. Fantasmic is much better in DL. Billy Hill and the Hillbillies put on a great show at the Golden Horseshoe. I'm not crazy about musicals, but Aladin is really well done.

If you ride the fire truck on Main St. you are in a vehicle that Walt Disney used to drive around before the park opened. The light in the window above the firehouse is in the apartment he used. The Mark Twain was paid for out of his own pocket to make sure it was finished. Since the park wasn't based on any other, it's grown in an organic way as those involved learned as they went along. WDW can't be beaten as a complete vacation destination, and I like the MK, and appreciate the unique attractions there that I finally get to see for the first time in five years next week:sohappy:but Walt's original Magic Kingdom, that he used to show me on Sunday nights when I was a small boy, has a place in my heart like none that have followed it.

A bientot.

Hot4Hudgens

Hey there. I'm also a Florida lifer and never visted DL up until last fall and absolutely loved it. You definitely have to check out both parks when you're there A) because they both have a lot of things you can enjoy doing, be it attractions, shows, etc. and B) they're a stone's throw away from the other.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
I have not seen WDW's Nemo, but like the DL version a lot, certainly better than the empty lagoon for 10 years. Best at night. We get in line just before close and exit to a wonderfully quiet park. I personally would be there at least 3 days; we usually stay 4-5. The attraction count of the 2 parks is not that far off of the count in WDW's four parks. Multiday tix bought in advance include one day early entry, which we use for the FIVE dark rides in FL, Matterhorn and a couple of Buzz rides. FPs will be taken late, and the Roger Rabbit FP machines are not connected to the rest, so you can get one there even if you just got one somewhere else. Space, Splash and Indy run out the quickest. We usually collect them in the morn to use in the eve. Fantasmic is much better in DL. Billy Hill and the Hillbillies put on a great show at the Golden Horseshoe. I'm not crazy about musicals, but Aladin is really well done.

If you ride the fire truck on Main St. you are in a vehicle that Walt Disney used to drive around before the park opened. The light in the window above the firehouse is in the apartment he used. The Mark Twain was paid for out of his own pocket to make sure it was finished. Since the park wasn't based on any other, it's grown in an organic way as those involved learned as they went along. WDW can't be beaten as a complete vacation destination, and I like the MK, and appreciate the unique attractions there that I finally get to see for the first time in five years next week:sohappy:but Walt's original Magic Kingdom, that he used to show me on Sunday nights when I was a small boy, has a place in my heart like none that have followed it.

A bientot.

Awesome, thanks for the FP tips!:sohappy: I hate queuing, so we snatch them up like crazy and plan the day accordingly. I also like the early entry, that would be great. I think we will do Nemo, if for nothing else than to relive a little 20K nostalgia. Although I am still enraged that The Living Seas at EPCOT had to die so that Nemo could live. :cry:

Thanks for the Walt info too, it being "his" park is probably the coolest thing. Although I will miss CoP, being on the original versions of everything will be fun.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
Same track layout as Dinosaur...but MUCH better ride experience. Just walking through the queue is a ride in itself, but be prepared for the journey...(and gently tap the lights hanging, it'll cause the lights to flicker on and off occasionally). DCA is a must (I've been dying to see WoC so get there early and get a fastpass for it). And go on the attraction formerly known as the Sun Wheel and sit in a moving car....very fun.

So would it be better to skip the FP for Indy? The queu sounds awesome.

fosse76

So would it be better to skip the FP for Indy? The queu sounds awesome.

I personally didn't see the big deal about the queue. I went through it once (it had a short wait) and then did single-rider the rest of the time. A thing about FP: DL is not as lenient with late returns as WDW is. I personally didn't experience this, but they don't always accept late FPs (just check over at Micechat and you can see very lengthy thread about it).

As I stated in another thread, I personally enjoyed DL more than WDW. Perhaps it was because I go to WDW three or four times a year and the last time I was at DL Splash Mountain was under construction! But all the rides are different enough to make them new experiences even for the most experienced WDW'er. And depsite WDW having 4 parks, they each seem empty after a trip to DLR.

DarthGrady

Original Poster
I personally didn't see the big deal about the queue. I went through it once (it had a short wait) and then did single-rider the rest of the time. A thing about FP: DL is not as lenient with late returns as WDW is. I personally didn't experience this, but they don't always accept late FPs (just check over at Micechat and you can see very lengthy thread about it).

As I stated in another thread, I personally enjoyed DL more than WDW. Perhaps it was because I go to WDW three or four times a year and the last time I was at DL Splash Mountain was under construction! But all the rides are different enough to make them new experiences even for the most experienced WDW'er. And depsite WDW having 4 parks, they each seem empty after a trip to DLR.

It certainly seems like everything is very compacted. But after spending the majority of my WDW time at EPCOT, that may not be a bad thing.

I'm a little concerned about the FP issue, we almost never make it back during the return time. I hope we don't run into the problem. Is it because DL is busier than MK, or because its smaller?

TP2000

Is it because DL is busier than MK, or because its smaller?

Both. Disneyland is smaller than MK, but has many more rides than MK, all packed into a smaller space.

They don't do Fastpass nearly as much in Anaheim as they do in Orlando, and they stick to the clearly stated rules for Fastpass more strictly in Anaheim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom