WDW cutting down on AC?

Unomas

Original Poster
We just got back from a week-long trip and one thing I noticed in many places was the distinct lack of blasting AC. Not that AC wasn't present, but not in the fashion I was accustomed to it being at WDW. Many places I often found fridged were a little stuffy. This goes for many of the buildings/attractions in general, including shops. Has anyone else noticed this? It's quite possible my expectations were off based on how hot it was this past week. Just wondering if I'm crazy or if this is a thing.

graphite1326

We just got back from a week-long trip and one thing I noticed in many places was the distinct lack of blasting AC. Not that AC wasn't present, but not in the fashion I was accustomed to it being at WDW. Many places I often found fridged were a little stuffy. This goes for many of the buildings/attractions in general, including shops. Has anyone else noticed this? It's quite possible my expectations were off based on how hot it was this past week. Just wondering if I'm crazy or if this is a thing.
I was thinking the same thing the last time we were there. Last October.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There was a huge effort to go through very single AC system and cut it to the lowest acceptable level. This was a couple of years ago, but I have not heard of any further changes. But it is very possible.

The days of those super cooled interiors in the parks are sadly gone.

Chef Mickey

There was a huge effort to go through very single AC system and cut it to the lowest acceptable level. This was a couple of years ago, but I have not heard of any further changes. But it is very possible.

The days of those super cooled interiors in the parks are sadly gone.
I don't doubt that some effort in efficiency actually occurred (we are talking about Iger's margin squeezing leadership here).

However, I tend to actually believe some of it was necessary. Even in 95 degrees, restaurants in particular can be too cold to the point of being uncomfortable after being inside 30 minutes.

I have to say, I don't notice a significant drop off in any location, besides Spaceship Earth. That seemed to be too hot during my last trip in late April.

Splash Mountain queue blows cold as ever and Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Finding Nemo, and other shows are always very cool.

Wildflower

It was bad when we were there last week too, especially at most of HS. Worst though was the gift shop at American Adventure in Epcot - REALLY brutal. Asked a CM about it and was told there were guest complaints about being dripped on, so it was turned down to a level that didn't cause as much condensation on the vents. She also suggested complaining to guest services about it being too hot as that's the only way to get it reversed...

Edit: Spaceship Earth was also pretty warm until you got up the incline to the cavemen area, but not shocking

wdwfan22

It was bad when we were there last week too, especially at most of HS. Worst though was the gift shop at American Adventure in Epcot - REALLY brutal. Asked a CM about it and was told there were guest complaints about being dripped on, so it was turned down to a level that didn't cause as much condensation on the vents. She also suggested complaining to guest services about it being too hot as that's the only way to get it reversed...

Edit: Spaceship Earth was also pretty warm until you got up the incline to the cavemen area, but not shocking

The American Adventure gift shop has been like that for a couple of years now. Hollywood Studios in my opinion is the park were A/C seems non existent especially the Great Movie Ride.

danyoung56

Spaceship Earth used to be incredibly well air conditioned. When you got on your "time machine", the temps cooled 10 to 15 degrees as you went up the ramp. Now it's much less cool there - not quite hot, but not nearly as refreshing as it was in the past.

rob0519

Noticed the higher temperatures in almost all the gift shops and retail areas with maybe the exception of World of Disney in Disney Springs.
I'm sure it's all a cost saving initiative on the electricity just like the rest of us. My thermostat at home is set higher than it used to be too.

CaptainAmerica

I much prefer it this way. It was always pretty jarring going from 90 degrees outside to 68 degrees inside, especially after a summer downpour when you were all wet. My bigger complaint is the motion sensors in the rooms themselves. I like it cool when I sleep and we found it hard to keep our room below 72ish on our last trip.

Chef Mickey

^ Great point as well...

If it rains and it's still 65, it can get even more unbreable during a lunch or dinner in particular.

Philhar Magic was so cold in the waiting area that it was almost not enjoyable. This was just in April of this year.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I much prefer it this way. It was always pretty jarring going from 90 degrees outside to 68 degrees inside, especially after a summer downpour when you were all wet. My bigger complaint is the motion sensors in the rooms themselves. I like it cool when I sleep and we found it hard to keep our room below 72ish on our last trip.

Push the power button and the down arrow (for lowering the temp) on the thermostat at the same time. You will see the letters "BP" where the temp normally appears. This means you have bypassed the system. You can then set the temp at whatever you want without a balloon bouncing around the room. You will have to do this every 24 hours since the bypass will time out at this point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
WT? We are having one of the hottest early summers in Florida and WDW is cutting back on the A/C?! We worship Mr. Carrier in Florida. There should be a statute of him in front of the Florida capitol. Without him, well, the only people living in Florida would be the Seminoles.

Sheesh.

Goofyernmost

There are a lot of ways to look at it. Environmentally, it is better to cut it back. Economically, it is better to cut it back, the fact that the only time we get this complaint is in mid summer when it is pretty much the same temperature as the surface of the sun in Florida. It is quite a challenge to keep up with not only the outside air but the heat generated from the people alone generating 98.6 degrees from everyone of them.

There is also the on going problem from people with little or no circulation. When in the busing business it was a constant problem of complaints generated by people that were perpetually cold. They always wanted the AC shut off because they were cold. I don't doubt that they were, but, it was always set to accommodate the majority. The cold ones didn't seem to realize that you can put more clothes on if you're cold, but, everyone else cannot take clothes off when they feel uncomfortably warm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom