WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

Ariel484

While I understand the difficulty of dealing with 27000 HM runners and finding a place to put them if there is lighting on what is an out-and-back, well, I'll put it this way - I'm not mad: I'm absolutely inconsolable. Dopey is literally the only reason I am down here. (Topic for a different time). I imagine they are going to give out the Dopey/Goofy medals still, but they haven't even mentioned it at this point. If they don't, I'm going to absolutely lose it on someone. Hopefully they will clear that part of it up in the 10pm email they are promising.

The thing about them just giving out the medals is that did you really earn it at that point? Sure, no one else knows - but I would. So if they say they are still giving out the medals, I will get out tomorrow and do the 13.1 anyway - in the morning, in the rain. But its not even close to the same thing.

And I don't think the options they are offering as recompense are acceptable either - especially for Goofy/Dopey runners.
In my opinion, I think the options are generous. When you register you acknowledge that they can cancel or delay with no refunds. That's part of your electronic signature. They don't have to offer us anything.

There's more info coming at 10, which I'm sure will include partial refunds for Goofy/Dopey runners (I'm Dopey so I'm interested in seeing what they do).

Kamikaze

In my opinion, I think the options are generous. When you register you acknowledge that they can cancel or delay with no refunds. That's part of your electronic signature. They don't have to offer us anything.

There's more info coming at 10, which I'm sure will include partial refunds for Goofy/Dopey runners (I'm Dopey so I'm interested in seeing what they do).

Just because that line is in the fine print doesn't mean its actually legal. There is no chance it would stand up in court.

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.
And obviously the marathon transfer is useless to me.

So no, I don't think they are generous at all.

JoeCamel

Just because that line is in the fine print doesn't mean its actually legal. There is no chance it would stand up in court.

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.

Have fun, I am sure you will be missed ...sarcasm tag on

Simba's Mom

My wife was doing the half tomorrow and is she is bummed. This is especially sad for those who are doing Dopey's and Goofy's Challenges or relying on this race for a Coast To Coast Challenge.

I also have a spouse who was running the 1/2 marathon. He's focusing on "I don't need to get up at 3:00 and stand in the rain." He's most disappointed that, for the last two days, he's stayed in the villa, while I've been doing the parks solo. That's because he's nursing a heel injury (and at 65 yo, we don't improve so easily). If he'd known, he could have gone and had a good time with me. I so agree with the feelings for the Dopey runners, especially. Last year, DH did the Dopey, put in almost the full year, training almost daily. It consumed his life. He'd be devastated if it had been affected like this.

Kamikaze

I also have a spouse who was running the 1/2 marathon. He's focusing on "I don't need to get up at 3:00 and stand in the rain." He's most disappointed that, for the last two days, he's stayed in the villa, while I've been doing the parks solo. That's because he's nursing a heel injury (and at 65 yo, we don't improve so easily). If he'd known, he could have gone and had a good time with me. I so agree with the feelings for the Dopey runners, especially. Last year, DH did the Dopey, put in almost the full year, training almost daily. It consumed his life. He'd be devastated if it had been affected like this.

I put in 2500 miles last year for this - all of my goals have been based on running 4 races and doing well at all 4.

Have fun, I am sure you will be missed ...sarcasm tag on

More than you know, little man.

Kamikaze

I'm sure if the race proceeded and someone was struck and killed by lightning, people would be equally outraged over this "inconvenience". GOD FORBID Disney err on the side of caution and keep people from a potential hazard. The entitlement in this day and age has gone way too far.

I don't think you know what entitlement means. Being upset that something you trained for was cancelled the night before is entitled? If they said they weren't giving out the medals and that was the complaint - thats entitlement. I just want to race. From my point of view - the race was supposed to start at 5:30. I'd be done by 7. According to the hourly tracking, its only 'scattered thunderstorms' with 40% chance of precip until 7. So playing the odds we wouldn't even get wet. I realize that most people are doing more like double that time, but the forecast was actually WORSE up until today. Its steadily been getting better - between 1-3 its not even supposed to rain, now.

Kamikaze

Good you get a medal as well.....

I don't care about the HM medal. Honestly, even the Goofy and Dopey medals are going to have no meaning to me now even if I do 13.1 tomorrow anyway, since its not a sanctioned race.

So wait - you had to jump in here and mention me saying I'm not going back to WDW, but you don't attend either? I guess I'm getting bad at identifying trolls in my old age.

Kamikaze

Wow a star athlete and a certified weather forecaster?! Well shut me right on up :rolleyes:

A 90 minute half is not a 'star athlete'.
I'm not forecasting anything - I can just read what TWC posts and how the original forecasts were for 100% rain from early tonight until noon tomorrow and now its nothing like that.

JoeCamel

I don't care about the HM medal. Honestly, even the Goofy and Dopey medals are going to have no meaning to me now even if I do 13.1 tomorrow anyway, since its not a sanctioned race.

So wait - you had to jump in here and mention me saying I'm not going back to WDW, but you don't attend either? I guess I'm getting bad at identifying trolls in my old age.

If you want to run then run, no one is stopping you it was just an organized race was cancelled. Do or don't but running is not sacrosanct, you can do it anywhere at your own risk. WDW is not willing to be responsible for your health so move on to the next one.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

My wife did the DL half this past September. It wasn't that great or magical at all. You end up running most of the race off Disney property (which is obvious, once you're there).

Kamikaze

My wife did the DL half this past September. It wasn't that great or magical at all. You end up running most of the race off Disney property (which is obvious, once you're there).

I ran all around the resort when I went out there in 2014. Very flat, great running weather - but since the parks are so small and compact there isn't anywhere else to run, and only the few roads on property.

Brenthodge

wow - you sound like a "fun" person.. .Merry Christmas - here's your gift..."WHAAAAAT IS THAT - That's not what I wanted" Maybe best you don't go out in the lightning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom