WDW before or after cruise?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes. Go to WDW both before and after your cruise.:D

Personally, I like after. It makes the transition back to reality a little easier. The parks also give you the opportunity to work off the "eating like a Hobbit" you do on the cruise ship.

wdwstateofmind

Original Poster
Then again, getting off is so sad it's nice to have something to look forward to! :)
Yes. Go to WDW both before and after your cruise.:D

Personally, I like after. It makes the transition back to reality a little easier. The parks also give you the opportunity to work off the "eating like a Hobbit" you do on the cruise ship.
You both just sold me on after...looking back I probably would have been miserable going straight home...i couldn't get off that ship quicker after 7 days, but once at WDW, wanted nothing more than to be back on it again...

Bolna

I did cruise first and WDW second and loved it. As others said, it made getting off the ship a little bit more bearable (I was sooo sad to leave my ship!!). But it also made the WDW part so more relaxed because I was already relaxed. I just enjoyed being there without feeling that I needed to run around all the time. But I also had the advantage of 10 full days at WDW. :D

EOD K9

My first cruise we did one day on each end. For our next one, we are doing a day prior with no parks. So it will be cruise and home....kinda sad. The one AFTER that, the game plan is to do the parks prior, then spend a day in the World at the end without hitting the parks. Just a slow and relaxing transition back to reality. Its tough to get off the ship then hit the park. I think just being on property is a good transition and not feeling rushed with the busyness of the crowds and rush to ride things.

sweetpee_1993

For us it's like a double-edged sword. Our first cruise was sandwiched between 5 days parks/resorts before and 6 days parks/resorts after. Before the cruise we spent 5 days totally pumped about the cruise and anticipating it. The parks/resorts before almost felt like filler we had to get thru to get to the cruise. After the cruise portion we found ourselves in this relaxation zone. We'd go to the parks early and within a few hours conversation will have turned to, "I wish we were at the resort by the pool", or something to that effect. Every day each of us made some sort of statement about wishing we were still on the ship. So the after parks/resorts time was time spent pining to be back on the ship or by the resort pool, not so content with traversing the parks. Double-edge sword! LOL! We've now done 2 cruises where we stayed 2 nights at Pop pre-cruise and went to Typhoon Lagoon. That seems to be a nice fit for us because the feel of that water park really sets the mood. Water parks are great for wearing everyone out enough to actually sleep the night before embarkation. ((You know how it is...laying in bed so excited you can't even stand it so sleep just isn't gonna happen.)) We tend to get up on-time the day of embarkation bright-eyed, refreshed, and ready to roll!

ChuckElias

My vote is to cruise first then do a few days at WDW. We've done it both ways, but I really like not having to get on a plane right after disembarkation. Plus, the parks give me the Disney experience, but because I stay at a house off-property, I also have started the transition to being home, cooking, making my own bed, etc. So it's not quite as big a shock to the system when I actually do get home.

ncstate7991

It is a great problem to have. We did cruising first. One negative of doing WDW first is the time of arrival at Port Canaveral if you take Disney transportation. Our friends did MVMCP and then the cruise. We were already on the Dream before they were even on the bus to PC. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I would have been upset.

Take the Disney transfer out of the equation, and I see positives to both. Maybe a slight preference to WDW first and cruise second.

sweetpee_1993

It is a great problem to have. We did cruising first. One negative of doing WDW first is the time of arrival at Port Canaveral if you take Disney transportation. Our friends did MVMCP and then the cruise. We were already on the Dream before they were even on the bus to PC. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I would have been upset.

Take the Disney transfer out of the equation, and I see positives to both. Maybe a slight preference to WDW first and cruise second.

Amen! It is a great pickle to be in!

Yeah, if staying at Disney resorts prior to sailing and boarding early is important you should figure out some private transfer or car rental. I think the Disney transfers schedule difference contributed to why DCL stopped the airport cruise check-in. A lot of guests were taking free DME from the resorts back to the airport then hitting-up the early buses. The obvious solution to me is just run the transfers from the resorts earlier. Run an early bus and a late bus. Kinda a 'duh' moment. In Sept we're staying on-property but paying a bit of a premium to do a private transfer for 2 to the port. The more people you have the more likely you are to beat that per person cost with DCL transfers anyway.

Tusportsfan

We've also done the "sandwich" method twice. Both times were 5 days in the parks before the cruise, 1 night staying at the Country Inn & Suites Port Canaveral (free parking with their cruise package) and then another 5 or six days after the cruise (yeah, my daughter is just a bit spoiled ....).

And we did spend a few days after the cruise walking the parks and thinking Castaway was soooooo much more relaxing ....

PartOfYourWorld

Me and my husband for our honeymoon just recently did the sandwich..5 days before and 2 days after :) Wouldn't do it any other way. If I had to chose I think I would choose after. Something to look forward to. but then again who knows! We'll have to see for the next time around!

Bolna

Actually one disadvantage of doing WDW after the cruise is that after some time with free food and drinks I just cringed even more at the prices WDW charges for everything...

wdwstateofmind

Original Poster
Actually one disadvantage of doing WDW after the cruise is that after some time with free food and drinks I just cringed even more at the prices WDW charges for everything...
DDP....pay for your worries at least 45 days in the past...

and I wouldn't eat half the quick service food at WDW if you paid me, which is also what most of Deck 11 is...so I really don't have issues with paying for a sit down dinner...

I have done it both ways, I would say take the cruise after because you can arrive home feeling rested. After the "GO-GO-GO" mentality of Disney it is nice the just kick back at the end. Last time we did the cruise first and we arrived home pretty worn out. Still had a great time though!

Jonathan Dalecki

I was just going to comment exactly the same thing! After our first cruise, my wife and I did 2 days in WDW. We did dinner the first night at Rose & Crown and when the bill came, our eyes popped! Of course, if you were getting a full bill for everything you'd put away at Lumiere's, it would probably be as much or more, but since you don't, you get lulled into this sense that food is free (except for drinks, of course). So now we do WDW first before we cruise. Saves us from sticker shock, and from having to go from relaxed and leisurely to GO, GO, GO! :)

okw2006

Anyone think there are any advantages to doing it before or after the cruise? I've only done the after thing...
We normally go down to WDW on Saturday and spend the night and take the disney transfer to the port and cruise 4 days then back to WDW for 2 more days. Try to get all we can out of a weeks vacation from work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom