WDW Attractions & Claustrophobia

Raineman

Original Poster
During my visit to WDW last week, I rode RnRC at DHS, which I had been on quite a few times previously, with no issues. Right at the end, where you slow down in that corridor right before unload, we stopped, and were stuck there for 10 minutes. Now, I get claustrophobic occasionally, especially when I am held down and can't move, but shoulder restraints on a roller coaster have never bothered me before. Well, after a few minutes of sitting there, not moving, not knowing when we will be getting off the ride, I started having a bit of a panic attack. My DD, who suffers from the same claustrophobia, was feeling the same. It is this reason that I have never been on M:S at Epcot, because the thought of being in that small space and have the ride go down, unable to get out-no thank you. My DD has panicked a bit in the past on HM, getting caught in a large, unmoving crowd between the stretching room and the start of the load queue.
Does anyone else get this reaction from anything at WDW? What is the best way to deal with it? The stranger sitting next to me on RnRC helped talk me down, and I was fine after a couple of minutes.

DanielleOG

I feel this way sometimes on Mission: Space and i noticed the way i deal with it is to literally think differently. I know if i let myself think negatively i will freak out and panic. I actually have to tell myself not to do that in order to be ok. Also, I try and lose myself in the attraction and end up enjoying it. As for just sitting there waiting, that's a bit tougher. All I can suggest is trying to change what the voice in your head is telling you.

GrumpySue

Those restraints bother me too, as soon as they lock them down I feel panicky. I love RNRC ride but haven't been on it in a while because of that. I always need an escape route, if that makes any sense.

danyoung56

The one and only time I did M:S, the control panel moved into position and then they took a couple minutes before starting the ride. I was in full claustrophobic freak-out mode, but once the ride started I was OK. Still, not in a hurry to ride it again! And I don't go on coasters that use shoulder restraints. That's one of the many reasons why Everest is my favorite coaster.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I felt like this for the first time in my life on Flight of Passage... We were sitting there for a solid 10 minutes or so before the ride actually started... And with that back brace + bending forward + the leg braces? I was starting to freak out. I had never had an experience like that before, tho. I think it's because I literally couldn't move ANYthing but my head and it was an awkward position.

Once the ride started tho, it was great!

Raineman

Original Poster
I felt like this for the first time in my life on Flight of Passage... We were sitting there for a solid 10 minutes or so before the ride actually started... And with that back brace + bending forward + the leg braces? I was starting to freak out. I had never had an experience like that before, tho. I think it's because I literally couldn't move ANYthing but my head and it was an awkward position.

I did FOP for the first time ever the day after my incident on RnRC, and I was fine, strangely enough. We had gotten through almost the whole flight when everything shut down, and we were sitting there in our link chairs for about 5 minutes, restrained-and no panic. I think part of the reason with the RnRC thing was that we were in a narrow corridor, which made me feel even more claustrophobic, whereas on FOP, we were in a larger room. We did get another complete ride out of the FOP shutdown, as they walked us out of the ride room, through a backstage area, and back into the initial pre-ride "scan" room, which is the closest I've ever come to a ride evac at WDW.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I did FOP for the first time ever the day after my incident on RnRC, and I was fine, strangely enough. We had gotten through almost the whole flight when everything shut down, and we were sitting there in our link chairs for about 5 minutes, restrained-and no panic. I think part of the reason with the RnRC thing was that we were in a narrow corridor, which made me feel even more claustrophobic, whereas on FOP, we were in a larger room. We did get another complete ride out of the FOP shutdown, as they walked us out of the ride room, through a backstage area, and back into the initial pre-ride "scan" room, which is the closest I've ever come to a ride evac at WDW.

I love it when they evacuate the PeopleMover... I've gotten 4 fastpasses from it. It breaks down so often!

Jeremy Jones

Raineman, you've inspired me to create an account here on the forums that I've been following for years.

I could not empathize more with your situation. I've experienced the exact feeling in the RnRC exit tunnel and had to have my 10 year old DS talk me down from a full blown panic attack. I've discovered a good fix for the restrained feeling of the shoulder harnesses on that ride, thankfully. When you pull the harness down, puff yourself up as much as possible as you drop the restraint. This will give you a little breathing room as the harness will usually stop a full click from being too tight. It has enough padding on it to still be comfortable during the ride yet give you breathing room.

I also experience the claustrophobia feeling in the stretching room on HM or in the pre-show room for ToT. The easiest ways for me to battle these feelings are simple enough: hold the hand of a family member and stick toward the wall where you know the door will be opening. It makes the experience go faster when you know where the exit is, believe me.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same problems

Does anyone else get this reaction from anything at WDW? What is the best way to deal with it? The stranger sitting next to me on RnRC helped talk me down, and I was fine after a couple of minutes.

Well, that was nice of that person to help you out like that. I'm glad you came out of it ok!

I used to get really bad panic attacks right before I got out of the military. Since then, I'l get them once in a blue moon when trapped in large crowds at WDW. The last time it happened, I was in line for ITTBAB, and they were trying to fill that cave waiting area with a lot of people for some reason. It was hot and humid, and I remember feeling everyone's body heat and sweat. I forgot how many years ago it happened, but I remember using a nice breathing technique that my doctors taught me, so I'll describe it here for anyone else who might be having panic attack issues:

Step 1: Try to sit down somewhere so you can slow your heart rate. Find something to stare at.
Step 2: Slowly breath in through your nose until your belly hurts and then hold it for two to three seconds. Concentrate on the air coming in and nothing else.
Step 3: Slowly breath out through your mouth. Concentrate on the air coming out and nothing else.
Step 4: Repeat 5 or 6 more times.

And when I say slowly, I mean like super-duper slow. I forgot the science behind it, but it has something to do with oxygen in our bodies.

Raineman

Original Poster
The only time I begin to freak out is when the boats back up on It's a Small World.
I assume most people say this because they have to listen to the song over and over and over (and that does wear on you-I always seem to be in that backup every time I ride IASW). For me, sitting any longer than I have to in those boats with my knees up by my face and my posterior aching on those hard seats is not fun. I swear that those IASW ride vehicles were designed only for kids or people under 5'6".

JIMINYCR

Ive never been bothered by claustrophobia on any of the rides or ride cars... even the closed capsule of MS doesnt bother me. But I have sometimes been bothered by standing in lines when the queue is jam filled with people and theyre jostling up against you, crowding you in. The stretching room of HM for example is sometimes very bothering. Losing that personal space seems to affect me more as I get older.

Raineman

Original Poster
Ive never been bothered by claustrophobia on any of the rides or ride cars... even the closed capsule of MS doesnt bother me. But I have sometimes been bothered by standing in lines when the queue is jam filled with people and theyre jostling up against you, crowding you in. The stretching room of HM for example is sometimes very bothering. Losing that personal space seems to affect me more as I get older.
That does affect me somewhat, but not nearly as much as being restrained on a coaster like RnRC. Even a full stretching room on HM doesn't bother me as much as the area after the stretching room where it quickly narrows from a crowd to single file into the queue, packed in tight, personal space being violated all around you. It's the same with the waiting area on ITTBAB, as a previous poster mentioned, and when it gets hot in these areas, and you have to wait longer than usual due to a ride or show stoppage, that's when I tend to move towards the mini panic attack.

correcaminos

If you can sit as far forward on the seat so that you are more upright. I had to do that anyway for back issues, but it helped the feeling of being confined to be less.

My bad experience was on Test Track. We were just about to go outside and the ride shut down. I was strapped in and the belt felt too tight. I started to get really anxious and finally they got us off. Most of the time if I am with family I am fine, otherwise closed dark places make me incredibly anxious. same with being squished in like often at Turtle Talk before they open the doors or as previously mentioned Haunted Mansion. I don't do well with that.

danyoung56

My bad experience was on Test Track. We were just about to go outside and the ride shut down. I was strapped in and the belt felt too tight. I started to get really anxious and finally they got us off.

Every time I do Test Track, I have a thumb under the shoulder harness, giving me just a little more space to enjoy the ride!

correcaminos

Every time I do Test Track, I have a thumb under the shoulder harness, giving me just a little more space to enjoy the ride!
Normally I am fine - I'm not sure what happened that time I got stuck. It was strange as normally I can get it right. I think also just combining being stuck in a car like that along with back issues that causes me issues if I cannot move, I just got all anxious. It wasn't a great combo, but glad my family was with me to help keep me calm.

Raineman

Original Poster
I always worry a tiny little bit, even though I absolutely love riding it as much as I can, about being on TTA and having it stop in one of the completely dark areas in Space Mountain. Complete blackness, even though I am not strapped in or restrained, for any longer than a couple of minutes freaks me out. I’d definitely be pulling my phone out to provide a bit of light if that ever happened.

gsansone

Excellent thread, and one that I think affects more people that we think. We figure, it's Disney, what can go wrong, what's to worry about? Calm down, right? Well, I am a DVC member, have been to WDW too many times to count and for most of my life I have never had an issue on any ride. Rockin' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, you name it. Then, for some reason, within the past 10 years I have had to avoid sooo many attractions. I suffer from anxiety and fear of confinement. I was stuck on Space Mountain a few years ago with my family right at the end of the ride. We stopped and sat in the dark for about 5-10 minutes, then the lights came on. I was starting to freak out because I was pinned down and was sorta uncomfortable sitting in front. A girl told us to remain seated and I hollered for her to come over and undo my seat restraint. I promised I wouldn't move -- just get it off me. We eventually had to walk off the ride. It seems there are many, many more breakdowns and stalls than I can ever remember. I rode Mine Train and found my knees getting crammed under the harness. At the end of the ride there was just traffic pulling into the station and again, once we stopped moving, I started to lose it. I have no problems as long as the ride is in motion. So, I no longer ride that one. I can ride Big Thunder because I will literally only pull the bar down 3-4 notches so that there is plenty of breathing room. Any ride with a pull down bar I try to only pull down a few clicks. I've been stuck on Little Mermaid with my family (all 4 of us jammed into one shell) and when the ride stopped (as it always does) I felt stuck and almost threw my son out so I could free myself. Funny and pathetic at the same time. Never rode Space, and I ride but struggle a little bit on Soarin' or the Dinosaur Ride (I once tried to ride this one without fastening the seatbelt, but the ride wouldn't go until I clicked!). Avatar, forget it. Expedition Everest -- never rode it. I will literally take klonopin before I enter the parks just to deal with any potential breakdowns. Just don't understand that 10 years ago none of this bothered me (I used to ride Aerosmith over and over 4-6X straight) and now many ride I simply avoid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom