WDW Answer to Hagrid's/VelociCoaster

MJL92

Original Poster
I go back and forth on whether or not I want Disney to try to compete with Universal and Sea World for the thrill coaster market share in Orlando.

On one hand, I don't go to WDW for the coasters/thrills. I live close to Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ and take trips to Cedar Point to fill that need. But now when I travel to Orlando, I have to spend a day at IoA to ride two of my favorite coasters in the world. Disney's coasters are cool (everest is still one of my favorites anywhere), but they just don't compare. I haven't ridden Guardians yet, (or Tron) and won't for a while. I'm sure they're going to be super cool, but not going for the same feeling as the new coasters elsewhere in Orlando.

There have been some scrapped coaster concepts over the years, and I still don't think Disney even cares if they lose that battle. But RnRC and Everest were both way more thrilling than I thought they'd put in the parks so I still feel there's a chance they might do something down the road.

Do you think Disney will ever build a new top end thrill coaster?

Do you even want them to?

What/where would be the best fit?

Personally I change my mind on this every time I think about it.

bhg469

I go back and forth on whether or not I want Disney to try to compete with Universal and Sea World for the thrill coaster market share in Orlando.

On one hand, I don't go to WDW for the coasters/thrills. I live close to Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ and take trips to Cedar Point to fill that need. But now when I travel to Orlando, I have to spend a day at IoA to ride two of my favorite coasters in the world. Disney's coasters are cool (everest is still one of my favorites anywhere), but they just don't compare. I haven't ridden Guardians yet, (or Tron) and won't for a while. I'm sure they're going to be super cool, but not going for the same feeling as the new coasters elsewhere in Orlando.

There have been some scrapped coaster concepts over the years, and I still don't think Disney even cares if they lose that battle. But RnRC and Everest were both way more thrilling than I thought they'd put in the parks so I still feel there's a chance they might do something down the road.

I don't think that's their cup of tea. I would however like them to do more in the realm of highly themed coasters. Frankly tron is just not piquing my interest because it just seems like a smooth sleek coaster that looks nice.. The thing I want to see are more show scenes and effects. IMO Hagrids is probably the best themed coaster ever built. I would like to see disney top that.

Disstevefan1

I think Disney wants to stay "middle of the road" when it comes to coasters. See Slinky Dog, Mine train and now Guardians. They want to appeal to the most guests possible; not too boring, not too extreme.

jloucks

Six Flags and the similar have the market on coasters. And let's face it, it is kind of a niche market. Not everyone wants to ride.

I don't think they will ever build a top end thrill coaster.

I don't think they should.

If anywhere, Epcot. Over the lagooooon.

I can see why you would waffle. I mean, there is always room for a little mega coaster. :p That sounded sarcastic, but I am serious. I love me some mega-coaster and would jump right on even if it was in Animal Kingdom.

Smiley/OCD

First off, welcome to the boards! I too am in NJ, 30 minutes from SFGA…my days of thrill coasters are over, lol…my favorite memory of GA was for the 100th anniversary of the roller coaster, they reversed the cars on Rolling Thunder so you can ride it backwards!!
That said, I always thought that Disney wasn’t the place for “extreme” coasters…IMHO, it’s not their target audience, but that could also be my old age creeping in….

JIMINYCR

I would love it because I enjoy the intense thrill a really good coaster gives me. My ride on Velocicoaster was amazing. We did it multiple times in a variety of seating locations. I also love Disneys EE and RnRC but Unis ride has them beat. I think Disney is fine delivering the scaled back thrill rides which they see as being more family friendly, so I don’t anticipate they will try upping their coaster game. Uni isn’t taking away the majority of vacationers so Dis isn’t threatened by those they lose over coasters.

Sbk1234

In Disney California Adventure, The Incredicoaster (originally California Screamin') is what I would consider a serious thrill coaster. It knocked my equilibrium off for much of the day. Mind you, I know I'm not a serious coaster efficianado, but I've heard the same description from many.
If they put one in in DCA, why not put one in at WDW?

Kirby86

As someone who love coasters I'd be down if in one of their parks (probably Hollywood or Epcot because they skew older) they put up a thrill coaster.

KaliSplash

I certainly hope not. As the original poster pointed out, there are various 6 Flags and Cedar Point parks around the country if you must have top-end coaster thrills.

James.Green

I really like Coasters, but if I had to choose only riding dark rides vs roller coaster, I would pick dark rides all day. The theming, story telling, and ambiance created in those dark rides is what sets (set) Disney apart. Luckily, there’s a lot of middle ground between the two that Disney can explore. For example, Splash Mountain is the best dark ride, and it also happens to be a thrill ride. The track itself is nothing special, but it’s the story that makes it the all time great. Tower of terror is a similar story.

Goofyernmost

Disney is not known for that agenda. They were founded under the idea that it would contain things the could be enjoyed by the entire family at the same time. Once coasters were built, which was a long time ago in DL. What that did was include that part of the guests that could enjoy such a thing, but it omitted the core premise of the Mission Statement. To include one group it blocked those that couldn't or wouldn't utilize a thrill ride. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they don't go crazy about it. In WDW there now is at least one, usually more then two, thrill rides in every park. That should be enough and now they should keep on designing and building attraction that can be family for the most part or at least only eliminating very few.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It doesn't really make sense for Disney to build a coaster like Velocicoaster. They have serious capacity problems as is, and building a new ride that a significant portion of guests either won't or can't ride isn't helpful. Since WDW has never been thrill heavy, it attracts far more guests that don't want to ride coasters than other parks.

It would not be the best use of land.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Disney in no way needs to try and compete in the hyper coaster arena. They just need to stick to the themed coasters. They could use 2 more in animal kingdom and 2 in the studios. My number one choice for a new coaster would be a pod racing or speeder bike launch coaster in galaxys edge.

Jrb1979

What would be awesome is if they built an indoor coaster like flight of fear at Kings Island. It has 4 inversions and launches 50 mph in 4 seconds.

UNCgolf

Disney in no way needs to try and compete in the hyper coaster arena. They just need to stick to the themed coasters. They could use 2 more in animal kingdom and 2 in the studios. My number one choice for a new coaster would be a pod racing or speeder bike launch coaster in galaxys edge.

I don't think they need to add any coasters to AK anytime soon -- it needs at least 4 or 5 other rides before they build another coaster there.

erasure fan1

I don't think they need to add any coasters to AK anytime soon -- it needs at least 4 or 5 other rides before they build another coaster there.
While I agree it needs 4 or 5 new rides. It could use a 2nd coaster on the thrill level scale of 7D mine train right away. A kid friendly coaster and a family dark ride are the most needed things at the moment. I was really talking more about the overall needs. Not that the next 4 rides need to be coasters. Unfortunately we have no chance of any of it with current Disney and the amount of rides they need.

UNCgolf

While I agree it needs 4 or 5 new rides. It could use a 2nd coaster on the thrill level scale of 7D mine train right away. A kid friendly coaster and a family dark ride are the most needed things at the moment. I was really talking more about the overall needs. Not that the next 4 rides need to be coasters. Unfortunately we have no chance of any of it with current Disney and the amount of rides they need.

Oh sure, a 7DMT level coaster would work fine -- I thought you were suggesting something like another Everest.

DAK definitely needs two or three dark rides and some kind of boat ride; preferably all high capacity people eaters. It would be really nice if they were 10+ minutes long too. I'm a proponent of NRJ as a high quality ride in terms of what actually exists there, but it should have been twice as long.

Last edited:

tanc

The rockin' roller coaster is by far probably the most extreme coaster on all property. I don't think they can really top that without going too extreme.

GustoGummi

They won't and they don't need to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom