WDW and Cruise trip report!

We just got back today! What a wonderful vacation.
If I had to complain about anything it was the near 100* temps on some days, but no one got sunburned or sun stroke etc, so we did well.
We left Long Island on Friday, May 2 on Southwest and stayed in the Days Suites East Gate that first night. What a huge disappointment this *motel* (If you could call it that) was. Geez, it was NOTHING like the pictures or the ads. Maybe 30 years ago. There were punch marks in the walls, NON EXISTANT air conditioning, TVs that had lines through them, leaky shower heads, and doors that wouldn't lock right. My daughter pinched her hand in the sliding glass door, it made a blister. This was considered a 3*** hotel from triple AAA. I could not recommend this place to anyone. We wanted to switch rooms, but we didn’t know what to expect from the next room. We grinned and bared it for that first night and were very happy to head to OKW the next day!
I can't say enough great things about OKW! Their motto of “Welcome Home” made us feel just that. ESPECIALLY comparing it to Days suites! We were in building 26, right near a bus stop and the hospitality house. The 2BR suite we had was magnificent! It was great to head back early and just chill out, go in the pool (open til 11PM), sit on the verandah and feed the many wildlife that joined us! LOL
The one thing I read in their OKW info, (that I thought I had read differently here) was that you could pool hop to every pool on WDW property EXCEPT CBC. So my BIL and family spent a full day pool hopping. A waste of time in my book, but whatever.
The washer and dryer, all the appliances and services this place had for a large family vacationing were perfect.
Our first day was at MK. Very early start, great day. We got in so much! We were traveling (At this point, before more troops arrived) with my MIL, my Mom, My husbands 90 year old grandfather, my 9 year old niece, my turning 6 dd, dh and myself. I felt really blessed to have Grandpa with us, and was overwhelmed with his stamina on this trip! Everyday running, and NOT ONCE did he want to use a wheelchair. I wanted to use one, but that's a different story, LOL.
We hit all of Fantasyland (We walked right onto everything without lines at all except for Dumbo)
We headed over to Adventureland and did POC and JC, walked all the way up the Swiss Family tree because the girls made us, LOL. Even Grandpa made it. :sohappy: We saw the 3:00 parade and had eaten our 3rd ice cream, and headed back to do Hall of Presidents, and Haunted Mansion and then we decided to call it a day and go check into OKW. <Again, we loved it here!>
I will break this up to separate posts.

bailey5697

Original Poster
Sunday we hit MGM. VERY VERY hot this day. With the GMR closed it dampened it a bit, trying to find interesting things for 6-90 year old to agree on. Everyone loved Star Tours (Most everyone besides myself had NOT ever been on it, and dh is a SW fan) and we hit Muppets 3D (Loved it) and One Man’s Dream (Really loved it). The girls played in the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground for a while, saw Beauty and the Beast and headed back to OKW. The rest of the day was all pool.
Monday we did Epcot. My dh and grandpa had never been there and neither had the girls. It hit 97* this day. We walked onto every ride, slight line at SS Earth, but it moved the whole time. As long as we were inside where the queue was A/C we were happy. TT was great, dh enjoyed that. We had dinner at the Beirgarten (As we are almost entirely German) and were pleasantly surprised. I was a tad nervous making the reservations, thinking that the food could not compare to my MIL’s German cooking but everyone enjoyed it and had plenty. Grandpa danced with his great granddaughter (my daughter), it was a great evening.

bailey5697

Original Poster
Tuesday, Emily’s 6th birthday we had the Princess Breakfast at Norway, which was wonderful. I had heard of people saying they couldn’t find their waiters etc, but we had no problems. We were seated at the very first table where the princesses come out, so we were first to see them! Without having to wait for the princesses to get to our table, once our breakfast was done, and all pictures and autographs were gotten, we were out of there! We went back to OKW, where the rest of the family was to arrive this day.
By noon, all were accounted for and we headed to the Magic Kingdom again. This time we hit Toontown (Totally packed this day, this was the only night this week with Spectromagic and Fireworks) We waited on the Cinderella line for over to an hour :brick: The girls were all dressed in their princess costumes when they saw her. We have some pretty awesome shots of that, but what a wait. We hit Buzz (pretty cool, barely any wait) and Space Mountain (half hour line, not too bad) caught Cinderella's Celebration show quick and had dinner reservations at the Castle. I started getting grumbles from the rest of my cheapo party regarding the prices of dinner, but I told them it was my daughters birthday, this is what she wanted, I told them IN ADVANCE of the dinner and prices, so leave if you want!. It guilted them into staying and shutting up! :sohappy: I guess even I was surprised that they charged me $2.75 for the cupcake to sing to her with, LOL
After dinner, we hit the carousel again, Splash Mountain (and 1/2 hour wait) and headed to Main Street for fireworks and the parade. Well, I have not seen this sort of crowd in years. We were mauled for spots, but it was worth it. As beautiful as I remember. We hung out in the park for a while and the crowd slowly dissolved enough to head out.
When we got back tot he hotel, Emily had balloons and a signed picture of Cinderella waiting for her. Very nice touch! :D

bailey5697

Original Poster
Wednesday, we had a leisurely day and did AK. The line for Kali River Rapids was almost an hour long, and the ride was fun but too short in my opinion. The Tree of Life was awesome, and the Tough to be a bug show was great. We did the safari and headed out. We were exhausted this day.
On Thursday morning, my Mom and niece headed back to LI, and everyone else (10 of us) headed to Port Canaveral.
The cruise was great. I would suggest it to everyone. We had a Cat. 5 stateroom with a verandah. My dh, barely came in from it. All the rotating dining and food was wonderful, and they even had fireworks the second night, which they said they were testing for the July 4th season. There were characters everywhere! By the pool, dining areas and on the beach! The shows were wonderful and they had in room Disney movies that are out of print or hard to get.
We didn't get off in Nassau, but Castaway Cay was magnificent! So beautiful, the water was crystal clear and the snorkeling was great. We got there early and were right down on the beach where the kids could play. 3 Nights was just not long enough! We got off the ship yesterday and I want to go back. Emily and I got our hair braided so we have that to remind us for a while.
I'm sorry this is so long, and yet I feel I left so much out!
Thanks so much for everyone’s help with all my questions over these past months. It helped a lot. I kept saying over and over on vacation "Well I read on WDWMAGIC board" LOL
Thanks again!

bailey5697

Original Poster
Originally posted by Maria
Welcome back! I am glad to read you had a great trip! How long will the braids last? :animwink:
LOL, The lady who did them said they could last about a month, but not for me! EMily wants to leave them in for her birthday party this weekend, but we'll see!

Bagheera

Originally posted by bailey5697
I can't say enough great things about OKW! Their motto of “Welcome Home” made us feel just that. ESPECIALLY comparing it to Days suites! We were in building 26, right near a bus stop and the hospitality house. The 2BR suite we had was magnificent! It was great to head back early and just chill out, go in the pool (open til 11PM), sit on the verandah and feed the many wildlife that joined us! LOL

I love building 26! It's one of my favorite locations. I hope that the wildlife that you fed were the ducks that hang out there, and not the passing golfers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oochr1soo

nice trip report.. sounds like it was fun... now one thing thats just buggin me.. what does DD and DH stand for? ive been trying to think of every type of relative and family member initial but im lost..

chris

Maria

Originally posted by oochr1soo
nice trip report.. sounds like it was fun... now one thing thats just buggin me.. what does DD and DH stand for? ive been trying to think of every type of relative and family member initial but im lost..

chris

DD= Dear Daughter
DH= Dear Husband

:animwink: I know you are probably going :brick: now! :lol:

Katherine

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! How are the Disney cruises? Are they definantly worth it or what? I've heard so much about them but can't find much info.

CaptChris

We just got back today! What a wonderful vacation.
If I had to complain about anything it was the near 100* temps on some days, but no one got sunburned or sun stroke etc, so we did well.
We left Long Island on Friday, May 2 on Southwest and stayed in the Days Suites East Gate that first night. What a huge disappointment this *motel* (If you could call it that) was. Geez, it was NOTHING like the pictures or the ads. Maybe 30 years ago. There were punch marks in the walls, NON EXISTANT air conditioning, TVs that had lines through them, leaky shower heads, and doors that wouldn't lock right. My daughter pinched her hand in the sliding glass door, it made a blister. This was considered a 3*** hotel from triple AAA. I could not recommend this place to anyone. We wanted to switch rooms, but we didn’t know what to expect from the next room. .

I too was "captivated" by the rates and nice inviting pictures for the Days Suites Eastgate posted on the website. I read some reviews on the internet that pretty much said everything you experienced. I immediately cancelled my reservations, and booked at Tropical Palms Funresort. I am especially disappointed in AAA, what do we pay nearly $100.00 a year for, if they aren't going to look out for us like that!

Glad to hear you had a great time, I am waiting for my kids (daughter 3, son 1) to get a little older, then I am going on a Disney cruise.

bailey5697

Original Poster
Re: Re: WDW and Cruise trip report!

Originally posted by Bagheera
I love building 26! It's one of my favorite locations. I hope that the wildlife that you fed were the ducks that hang out there, and not the passing golfers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: No, very interesting birds! We have your standard seagulls here on Long Island, these were some beautiful mallards and a funky little bird with a weird red beak (And her babies)
Although one day while I was changing I did run into a landscaper outside my window. I think I scared him more than he scared me though!! :lol: :lol:

bailey5697

Original Poster
Originally posted by Katherine
I really enjoyed reading your trip report! How are the Disney cruises? Are they definantly worth it or what? I've heard so much about them but can't find much info.

Cost wise, the cruise (3 nights) cost as much as our 6 days in WDW!! But honestly it was SO worth it. It made the whole vacation perfect. There was ALWAYS something to do, and obviously there was still down time at the pool, spa, or nappy time in the cabin. I will see if I can actally get it to work (DH is the electronic master here, not me) but the horn on the ship - each time we left a port it played "When you wish upon a star" - those notes, we have it on tape. So wonderful They thought of everything!
Here are some sites that were great references, but still afterwards DO NOT do the cruise justice:
http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/cruise.html

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr34-overview.htm

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/cruise.asp?shipId=wonder&amp;display

http://www.themagicalmouse.com/pictures/index.php?TopicID=castawaycay

MinnieFan

WOW! Thanks for the detailed trip report. My husband and I have been really thinking about taking the Disney Cruise. Now I really want to go.

How was the weather (on the cruise) this time of year?

Wow that was such a great trip report. Thanks for posting. I was anxiously awaiting it. Did Emily get a birthday button? Did you ever go to Disney Quest? Just curious, what other places did you eat at besides Germany and the other birthday places? I always like to hear other peoples comments even if its fast food. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Sure beats the heck out of Sports Plus huh?

bailey5697

Original Poster
Originally posted by MinnieFan
WOW! Thanks for the detailed trip report. My husband and I have been really thinking about taking the Disney Cruise. Now I really want to go.

How was the weather (on the cruise) this time of year?

It was beautiful! I would guess high 80's-90's BUT ALWAYS A GREAT WIND! It was funny, as we were driving FROM Cape Canaveral back towards Orlando, the rental car had a temperature gauge for outside. As we left it read 93*, within 3 miles it was up to 95*, and by the time we reached our hotel right near the airport it read 98*. Big difference without the breeze!
I would HIGLY recommend the cruise. It was so great, and we are discussing the 7 day next year.

bailey5697

Original Poster
Originally posted by marypopmom
Wow that was such a great trip report. Thanks for posting. I was anxiously awaiting it. Did Emily get a birthday button? Did you ever go to Disney Quest? Just curious, what other places did you eat at besides Germany and the other birthday places? I always like to hear other peoples comments even if its fast food. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Sure beats the heck out of Sports Plus huh?

Oh yes! I left out the part where Emily spoke to Goofy on the phone in City Hall in MK. She was all smiles after that and wanted to find him! She has her button and wore it every day on the cruise as well. She wanted her birthday to be forever.
We never did Disney Quest, the one night we did go to Downtown Disney we were on the Marketplace side and took the boat back to OKW, that was really nice but we got eaten by some nasty flies.
:fork:
Let's see where else did we eat. Not too much within the parks.
We tried to eat breakfast as much as possible in the room at OKW. We had hot dogs (They were truly huge) right near Hall of Presidents in MK one day. We did do Olivia's in OKW, which was lovely. Very laid back and great food.
I want to go back already! :wave:

Bagheera

Re: Re: Re: WDW and Cruise trip report!

:lol: No, very interesting birds! We have your standard seagulls here on Long Island, these were some beautiful mallards and a funky little bird with a weird red beak (And her babies)
Although one day while I was changing I did run into a landscaper outside my window. I think I scared him more than he scared me though!! :lol: :lol:

I'm going to guess that you were looking at the ibises. They're all over OKW and the rest of WDW.

I've seen lots of golfers, but only rarely spotted landscapers. Must've been lucky! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom