Ways to Make Money to Save for Disney Trip

Jessica Meier

Really want to figure out some ways to make some Money for our upcoming trip. I am a stay at home Mom and my daughter is only in school from 7:30-12. So I have to find something that will allow me to work mornings for 3 or 4 hours. Seems impossible.

Kristamouse

I am a stay home Mom to 5 children ages from 10 to 9 months. I totally understand!
My suggestion is sell sell sell! I have funded many a trip with yards sales and Craig's List along with saving and budgeting. Go through your house and start a box in each room. Get in to seasonal decorations, winter clothes, toys your children never play with, pots and pans kitchen items, sports equipment, home decor, collectables collecting dust, crafting supplies etc. once you have a good idea what your are getting rid of see what is woth more and try Craig's List or a consignment store. Then take the rest of the collected itemd and have a sale. Try to get a few neighbors to also have one and advertise well a few house always draw more traffic. Too many like a street sale can hurt your sales. If the sale didn't go well, try again a different weekend. (I will admit it is easier for me, I HATE clutter and with my kids we have too much stuff)
Depending on how you feel about other children offer a service to other Moms at preschool to watch thier kids for a few hours to run errands etc. I have a friend that I either pay or alternate baby sitting with to get our day to day to do lists done quicker with out kids. Keep it simple and loose that way you can stop whenever or if your kids and thier kids don't get along.
Do you have a talent? Making cakes, sew/embroider, paint, cooking, tutoring?
I have found most part time jobs won't pay enough to cover your child care cost.
Good luck, I hope you find a way:)

Upvote 0

Philipk23

If you are an active person and interested in possibly being a coach for beachbody that is a possibility. It is for programs like p90x or t25 and everything can be done from home. You don't physically have to do the workouts or train anybody physically and make money on comissions as you would with a company like avon.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

How about some “mother’s hours” in retail? Grocery stores, coffee shops, or the breakfast shift in fast food or food service may be a possibility. I work retail evenings and weekends in a large department store at our local mall during the holiday season. Being a retired Army officer I get a lot of “Are you being served” or “Captain Peacock” jokes but the money really helps to finance our annual pilgrimage to WDW.

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

Original Poster
@Philipk23 I actually just finished the 21 day fix program with Beachbody and have considered it. I have only lost 8 lbs but have lost over 60". I feel like I should have more impressive weight loss to sell the products though.

@Kristamouse I have slowly but surely been selling off all my daughters old clothes on eBay. Made quite a bit that way. I am also doing a craft show this fall selling items like Christmas stockings, advent calendars and hand painted pallets.

Hoping all these are gonna help.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

mother's helper-type stuff? like @Kristamouse said, maybe network a bit with other mom's at the school and offer child care for a competitive rate. i don't have kids, but i'd think that moms would like to see their kids being watched by other moms with that kind of experience.

publix always seemed to be very family-friendly and may well be able to work out a schedule for you that works. like the suggestion for you to offer services as a mother's helper, maybe you could barter with another mom at the school for a bit of help - my mom used to pick up one of my classmate's with me after kindergarten because her mom worked until noon. she'd come back to our house, my mom would give us a snack, and her mom would pick her up about 40 minutes after we got home.

Upvote 0

LAM378

I make a neat little side income through Mturk.com. It's a crowd sourcing site run by Amazon where you can do all manner of tasks--typing, transcription, surveys, etc. Each task is worth a set amount, typically $0.05 to $0.50. There's a bit of a learning curve and it helps if you're a fast typist and/or a quick thinker, but once you get the hang of it, those pennies add up quickly.

I just bang out tasks at night after my son goes to bed, or in the mornings when he's at school. I make about as much per week as I would working a part-time retail job. I've been doing it for 2 years and it's real money that's given me a lot more wiggle room in my budget.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I make a neat little side income through Mturk.com. It's a crowd sourcing site run by Amazon where you can do all manner of tasks--typing, transcription, surveys, etc. Each task is worth a set amount, typically $0.05 to $0.50. There's a bit of a learning curve and it helps if you're a fast typist and/or a quick thinker, but once you get the hang of it, those pennies add up quickly.

I just bang out tasks at night after my son goes to bed, or in the mornings when he's at school. I make about as much per week as I would working a part-time retail job. I've been doing it for 2 years and it's real money that's given me a lot more wiggle room in my budget.
I love Mturk so much.

I do other little things, like Swagbucks and Perk. You can basically run apps on your phone to earn points and buy gift cards. You can earn Paypal or Target gift cards, and use those to buy Disney gift cards. I have about $400 in Disney GCs to bring on our trip this year, and I only started saving those in April. I am in a Disney/Swagbucks Facebook group, too. Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the group and getting tips or asking any questions about the programs (I just don't want to overstep my bounds and post any links here :))

Upvote 0

Gurt

Sorry to invade the thread but a quick question, are Mturk and Swagbucks just US sites or do they cater to the UK too? I have been spending a lot of time lately trying to work out ways to save money as there is not much left after bills for saving literally a £3.00 per day budget doesn't leave much left at the end of the month for my Disney pot! :banghead:

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I have paid for my airline tickets for my WDW trip in December with Swagbucks. You earn points by doing surveys, watching videos and easy stuff like that. Each time I reach 10000 points I cash out a $100 gift card. They offer gift cards for Target, Walmart, Starbucks and many more including airline gift cards.

I love Mturk so much.

I do other little things, like Swagbucks and Perk. You can basically run apps on your phone to earn points and buy gift cards. You can earn Paypal or Target gift cards, and use those to buy Disney gift cards. I have about $400 in Disney GCs to bring on our trip this year, and I only started saving those in April. I am in a Disney/Swagbucks Facebook group, too. Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the group and getting tips or asking any questions about the programs (I just don't want to overstep my bounds and post any links here :))

I do Swagbucks too. My husband goofs on me but I probably average $50/month between the surveys and watching videos. All of what I earn goes to the Disney fund.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I do Swagbucks too. My husband goofs on me but I probably average $50/month between the surveys and watching videos. All of what I earn goes to the Disney fund.
My boyfriend goofed too, until he saw how much I make on those programs haha.

Sorry to invade the thread but a quick question, are Mturk and Swagbucks just US sites or do they cater to the UK too? I have been spending a lot of time lately trying to work out ways to save money as there is not much left after bills for saving literally a £3.00 per day budget doesn't leave much left at the end of the month for my Disney pot! :banghead:

I know that Swagbucks and perk.com are both available in the UK, though I don't think the Swagbucks apps work in the UK. I believe mturk.com is only available in the US and India right now.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Ebates if you shop on line a lot. I've earned about $70 since May.
Let me know if you want a referral link.

I also make grocery shopping a game. I give myself a budget and if I stay under I get WDW gift card with the difference at check out. It's usually $15-$20 BUT I've had a few $50 in there.

Also we've started taking advantage of the 2xfuel points when you get gift cards. For instance we need to buy tile. We are going to buy $1500 worth of Home Depot. We in turn get 3000 fuel points which give is $1 off per gallon on multiple trips. That's about $25 off per fill up on DH's truck

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

@Philipk23 I actually just finished the 21 day fix program with Beachbody and have considered it. I have only lost 8 lbs but have lost over 60". I feel like I should have more impressive weight loss to sell the products though.

@Kristamouse I have slowly but surely been selling off all my daughters old clothes on eBay. Made quite a bit that way. I am also doing a craft show this fall selling items like Christmas stockings, advent calendars and hand painted pallets.

Hoping all these are gonna help.
also, you might get a better return if you have a kids consignment store...a lot less work on your end ;-) you just drop it off!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

can someone explain mturk a bit more? I'm trying to figure it out.
It's weird to explain, I found it best to just jump in. I also found a really great mturk forum where I learned the ins and outs, to-dos and not-to-dos.

Basically, companies (or college students) will put up short "tasks" that they need completed, and they will pay you small amounts for completing them. They could be surveys, transcription of typed pages or recorded speech, categorizing photographs, recording your own voice, writing articles, or any number of other things.

At my best, I was making over $100/week on mturk alone, but that has gone down considerably since getting a new job late last year. Lots of people use it as their main source of income, though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom