Waterproof Maps: A Yearning I've Often Had..

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
I usually keep my maps as sort of "historical records" and nostalgic souvenirs/keepsakes...

Last April while I was at Epcot for my first ever Flower/Garden Festival...every copy of that map I had got drenched...and the ink/print comes off on stuff/turns to mush...and so...I have every park map for April, 2015...except that one...what I have of that one is a ball of ink and paper that looks like a spit-wad for the launching...

It'd be cool to have maps that are a little more resilient.

MickeyMomV

I do the same! :p And 'mush' is definitely the perfect word for the situation. I usually just try to grab a fresh one before we exit the parks.
We do the same thing and usually have a stack of them when we go home. We keep them for looking at changes through the years and when we hear of somebody planning a trip I will usually give them one from each park to help the kids get excited.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
maybe some kind of "map sleeve" or something...I dunno...I'm sure it'd be like 10 bucks...

Heck, maybe I should develop this and sell them out my blog...lol

Kamikaze

7693892-23.jpg

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Perhaps then...a light coating of paraffin?

(as a side note, they do see really awesome sleeves/protectors for maps...but they're bulky and completely unrealistic for something as basic as a theme park map...my thoughts on coming up with something would probably be closer to the zippered sandwich bag (generic name here) but even thinner yet...and maybe fold-able and maybe they use static to cling to the maps?)

celluloid

Besides more costly the major issue becomes with less biodegradable maps, people will toss them off of rides, leave them behind and on the streets of the park you would see even more trouble. Custodial keeps up with things the best they can but being sturdier would cause even more issues.

WhatJaneSays

I cut and laminated a SotMK map (and my cheat sheet) to keep in my deck box because I can never remember which symbol is which portal.

One could do something similar with park maps but you run in to the problem of the parks changing constantly. They tend to put out a new map every 2 to 6 weeks. Most changes are minor ... then get a case like DHS and 1/4 of the map is gone.

Brad Bishop

I miss the old maps you used to buy. These would be kind of poster-sized when all unfolded. They had great artwork on them and I always thought that they were cool. The last one I got was from Six Flags probably around 20 years back. I haven't seen them in years.

The guides you get at the front gates are OK but nothing like the old poster-sized maps.

I think future maps will just be people using their smart phones.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Doesn't matter to me, I don't need a map while I'm in the parks. I do grab a few maps as a souvenir, it is nice to compare changes. I also grab a few extra to give to people at home who ask me for advice about their trip. I find having a couple extra maps on hand to give others makes it easier for them to plan.

I do always grab a times guide when I enter the parks though, but it still doesn't have to be waterproof.

NelleBelle

AndyS2992

Not necessary really. If one gets wet... get another one.:)
This.

If I have a map that gets damaged I just chuck it in the trash and get another. And as for keeping them as keepsakes, I always grab a couple on my way out of the park or when you check out of your Disney resort, grab a couple off the stands by the check in desk and put them somewhere safe in your luggage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom