Water temperature in the resort pools in December

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
We are reconsidering our vacation plans for our late fall/early winter trip to the US and plan to go to WDW instead of New England, but we never were in WDW in December before. What is the water temperature of the pools in the resorts we have to expect around December 3rd to 13th. Are the pools heated? For example in the Pop, the AoA and the POFQ because these are the resorts which are at the moment on our itinerary.

4disneylovers

I don't have a temperature for you. I believe they are heated. However, just because they are heated doesn't mean you will want to swim. I have been there three times in the late November/early December time frame. In 2007 the weather was gorgeous. We didn't swim because we wanted to spend our time in the parks. In 2009 it was miserably cold. We were wearing coats, gloves, hats, scarves, etc. exact same time of year but opposite weather. We felt bad for the people that only brought shorts and t-shirts. The third trip began the day after Thanksgiving and the weather was cold for my grandmother and slightly chilly for me at times but not bad. Long way of saying...bring clothes for warm and cold weather and you may or may not want to swim.

Disneydreamer23

They are heated and When I was there in December it's a hit or a miss. Once I was swimming and it was 85 degrees, a year later it was 60 and the pool was steaming and I went in nearly froze by butt of when I got out!

ninjaprincesst

Like others have said the pools are heated, so you are fine while in the water, but the getting back to your room after can be kind of chilly. We go every year in late November and usually do go to the pool at least once.

CAPTAIN HOOK

December 2008 was warm enough for us to use the heated pool in AKL, in fact during the day it was shorts and t-shirts weather. However, days later when we were staying in GF, the weather changed, the temperatures dropped and swimming in a resort pool was suddenly a pass time for idiots.
In short, if you get the weather then you can swim in the Disney resort pools, but don't bank on the weather making it a cert

jlsHouston

Past 2 Thanksgivings air was pretty chilly and damp and even though we did take the warmest day (77) and do the pool I was freezing...grandkids managed..

My winter trips have been more about parks and the holiday decorations than the pool time. Summer is more about the pools and less with parks..

ExtinctJenn

The way I've always defined swimming in the winter in Florida was that it is never too cold for kids to want to go to the pools but it's unlikely I will. :D

bee

As others have said, it's not the pool water to be concerned with, it's the outside temperature. The weather varies wildly from year to year and even day to day. If you will want to swim go ahead and bring your suit but be prepared for it to be too cold to walk to the pool from your room and especially too cold to walk back to the room when you're all wet!

Edit: It also depends where you live and what winter temperatures you're accustomed to. Floridians will freak out and wear a coat at 60 degrees...

SagamoreBeach

We are reconsidering our vacation plans for our late fall/early winter trip to the US and plan to go to WDW instead of New England, but we never were in WDW in December before. What is the water temperature of the pools in the resorts we have to expect around December 3rd to 13th. Are the pools heated? For example in the Pop, the AoA and the POFQ because these are the resorts which are at the moment on our itinerary.
Bring your bathing suits anyway. The pools are heated but the weather might be too cold for swimming. You might want to reconsider coming to New England and stay in a hotel with an indoor heated swimming pool.;)

bugsbunny

I use to go religiously the 1st or 2nd week of December and stay at one of the Values before Pop Warner ruined it, but that's a whole different story to tell.

As for the pools, its hit and miss. They might be heated, but its relative to the weather. They are not heated enough where its in the 60s and you can swim comfortably. And the weather can make some weird swings. I distinctly remember one trip where there was a skin of ice in puddles around MK and we had to wear our winter jackets until it "warmed up" to like 50. 2 days later it was 80 and we were swimming comfortably.

JIMINYCR

I enjoyed the pools on my December trip, but I LOVED the jacuzzis.
POFQ hot tub is very small. I tried to visit it during a chilly Dec. and it was usually filled to capacity and no one wanted to give up their spot. Waited for a long time then gave up & went back to the room, made my own hot tub.

minniemickeyfan

Disney World Dec 2011 to Jan 2012 163.JPG

Although I would say most years are nice for swimming, one year it was freezing cold as you can see my daughter here. But the pools were warm as you can see the steam here. Getting out of the pool is the problem.

Epcot-Rules

I use to go religiously the 1st or 2nd week of December and stay at one of the Values before Pop Warner ruined it, but that's a whole different story to tell.

As for the pools, its hit and miss. They might be heated, but its relative to the weather. They are not heated enough where its in the 60s and you can swim comfortably. And the weather can make some weird swings. I distinctly remember one trip where there was a skin of ice in puddles around MK and we had to wear our winter jackets until it "warmed up" to like 50. 2 days later it was 80 and we were swimming comfortably.

This describes Florida! It can be 85 at Christmas, and 1 days later a cold front will come through and "BAM", it's 30. Best part about it is it won't stay cold for long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom