Water pressure at faucets seems weak

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I was at Magic Kingdom tonight and I felt that the water pressure when I wash my hands in the restrooms seemed rather weak. It varied depending on which sink I would use, and at different bathrooms. You would think with a company so focused on cleanliness and sanitation that they would not let something like this go.

Goofyernmost

Instead of complaining, shouldn't we be applauding them for conserving water. We can't live without it you know. Just because the place is all about fantasy doesn't mean it doesn't have to conform to the needs of the world.

Btw, one can get their hands just as clean with lessened water pressure as high pressure. It's soap and physical cleaning that make the difference. Water just rinses the cleaning solvent and the dirt/germ off. It's not supposed to be a pressure wash.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was at Magic Kingdom tonight and I felt that the water pressure when I wash my hands in the restrooms seemed rather weak. It varied depending on which sink I would use, and at different bathrooms. You would think with a company so focused on cleanliness and sanitation that they would not let something like this go.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here but how is a company being environmentally concious and managing water pressure to conserve water, 'letting something go'? Unless it's dropped to a trickle, water pressure should have no impact at all on your ability to wash your hands. Cleanliness is not a result of water pressure but of the use of soap and water to clean your hands. I think it's a good thing that they are being responsible and not cranking up the pressure just to waste more water.

Chef Mickey

Ive rarely seen consistency in the water pressures in the restrooms and fountains but it isnt something thats bothersome to me. The low water pressures in the resort showers... now thats bothersome. I'd rather they fix that issue.
It’s all about conservation so there will be no fix. It’s like that on purpose.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It’s all about conservation so there will be no fix. It’s like that on purpose.

Exactly. While it may not be to any specific guests liking, this is an intentional state and it's not going to change.

It often confuses people who visit Florida in the summer when it feels like we get 1 foot of rain every day that we would ever have issues with water. That is the rainy season. This time of year is the dry season where we get little or no rain for months on end. Water conservation is a year round thing here and the penalties for violating the rules are enforced and rather stringent. For example, I am under strict restrictions on how often I can water my lawn. During Daylight Savings Time I can only do it twice a week on predefined days at predefined times. During ST (which we are in now) due to the normal dry conditions I can only run the irrigation system once a week. They further manage overall usage by restricting the day of week based on your address and the time of day- to maintain pressure for showers in the AM. The fines for violating those restrictions (with the exception of a new lawn exemption) are very strict. 3 years ago, I forgot to change the timers on my irrigation system when DST ended and got a warning from the county on the garage with a time-stamped photo showing the violation.

'One' of the causes of the sinkholes you hear so much about in certain areas of Florida is pulling too much water out of the aquifer (most all our water sources are in underground aquifers) too fast, can destabilize the top of the aquifer which can dramatically increase the potential for sinkholes to form when the rainy season starts.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Why I never leave home without it.
hst1.png

POLY LOVER

Instead of complaining, shouldn't we be applauding them for conserving water. We can't live without it you know. Just because the place is all about fantasy doesn't mean it doesn't have to conform to the needs of the world.

Btw, one can get their hands just as clean with lessened water pressure as high pressure. It's soap and physical cleaning that make the difference. Water just rinses the cleaning solvent and the dirt/germ off. It's not supposed to be a pressure wash.

My wife is a scrub nurse and cleaning your hands properly is all about friction, so the amount of water is not an issue as long as you have soap and vigorous friction .

NelleBelle

My wife is a scrub nurse and cleaning your hands properly is all about friction, so the amount of water is not an issue as long as you have soap and vigorous friction .
Exactly! The scrub sinks in the OR at the hospital I used to work at didn't have all that "forceful" water pressure. In fact, when washing our hands, you'd wet hands and then water would be shut off for the duration of your "scrub." I'd say 98-99% of the population probably washes their hands incorrectly.

NelleBelle

Oh I know its a water conservation issue and wont be changed... but it seems like I'm using MORE water by staying in the shower much longer, showering longer, rinsing off longer with the lowered water flow.
I know what you mean...it does seem to take forever to wash the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair when water pressure is low and/or soft (not that I'm suggesting that's the case here).

DisAl

If they wanted to conserve water they should not use the shower controls that will only run wide open with only temp control, not volume control. Most motels do that; the controls that let you control both temp and volume cost a few dollars more but I will bet they end up using more than twice the water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom