Water parks advice for people who don't care for water slides.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We are contemplating going to both Disney water parks just to hang out, maybe do the lazy rivers, wave pools and lounging in the shade. We have friends who go to the water parks and really enjoy them.
Our thought is since we now spend very little time at the theme parks, and more time enjoying the resorts, that maybe the water parks, even without us doing the slides, might be a nice diversion.
Would you visit the water parks without doing the thrill slides? Any advice for locating quieter areas with shade without renting one of the cabanas?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Not something we do as living on a small rock we have a waterpark all round (even a wavepool when the ferries come and go).I can see the appeal of just chilling for the day however. Have you contemplated out of the bubble and splashing out on a Discovery cove ticket ?

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Not something we do as living on a small rock we have a waterpark all round (even a wavepool when the ferries come and go).I can see the appeal of just chilling for the day however. Have you contemplated out of the bubble and splashing out on a Discovery cove ticket ?
Yes, we enjoy Discovery Cove and are headed back there soon. That is the main reason we are thinking about BB and TL. For less than the price of one day at DC we can get Disney water park annual passes. With the annual pass, we could come and go at both Disney water parks, if only for a few hours each visit.

belledream

Slides are a big part of the water parks, but if you want a relaxing day doing something new, I'd say it's a good bet. I could lounge on the lazy river or frolick in the wave pools forever. (I don't know if you're excluding ALL slides or just the ginormous ones, but there are slides/raft rides of all heights/lengths/sizes to consider).

Also it may be fun to hit Winter Summerland minigolf while you're at Blizzard Beach.

Wendy Pleakley

The water parks are well themed and quite nice to visit, even without doing the slides. If you get bored quickly at Blizzard Beach you can step outside and play the nicely themed miniature gold (separate admission fee).

I could see spending a few hours easily just enjoying the lazy river and pool.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Slides are a big part of the water parks, but if you want a relaxing day doing something new, I'd say it's a good bet. I could lounge on the lazy river or frolick in the wave pools forever. (I don't know if you're excluding ALL slides or just the ginormous ones, but there are slides/raft rides of all heights/lengths/sizes to consider).

Also it may be fun to hit Winter Summerland minigolf while you're at Blizzard Beach.

That was the idea, maybe go to the water parks for relaxation and to just enjoy the park. I can't do the big slides because of physical reasons, but the lazy river and maybe the bigger slide with the raft (Teamboat Springs maybe?) I can at least try.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
The water parks are well themed and quite nice to visit, even without doing the slides. If you get bored quickly at Blizzard Beach you can step outside and play the nicely themed miniature gold (separate admission fee).

I could see spending a few hours easily just enjoying the lazy river and pool.
Yes, that is what we are thinking, that both would be nice to visit to enjoy the theme and landscaping as well as the less physical stuff.

belledream

That was the idea, maybe go to the water parks for relaxation and to just enjoy the park. I can't do the big slides because of physical reasons, but the lazy river and maybe the bigger slide with the raft (Teamboat Springs maybe?) I can at least try.
Ooh I see. In that case, may be best to just stay away from all slides - Teamboat Springs does have some twists/turns/dips. There are certainly many places to lounge around both parks, umbrellas and tree shade, and so much theming in the lazy rivers. You could have a great time. ;)

Also the shops! It's cool to see the water park themed merch. You hardly see it anywhere else!

KCheatle

I think the areas around the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon are very nice and relaxing. I love the music they play (Beach Boys, etc.) They also have nice cabanas you can get now (although I'm not sure how you reserve/rent them??). I also love the lazy river. It's actually now one of our favorite parks to do mid-trip. After spending every day hauling from one ride to the next by foot, it's nice to say, "What should we do next?" and be able to just jump in the lazy river and float to your desired destination. :D

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Ooh I see. In that case, may be best to just stay away from all slides - Teamboat Springs does have some twists/turns/dips. There are certainly many places to lounge around both parks, umbrellas and tree shade, and so much theming in the lazy rivers. You could have a great time. ;)

Also the shops! It's cool to see the water park themed merch. You hardly see it anywhere else!
Thank you. So you think there are plenty of places to find some shade for relaxing and just enjoying the area? One of my concerns was not being able to find a nice spot to just enjoy some shade between floats on the lazy river. Now, mind you, we won't be going in the summer, when I imagine the water parks are really busy. Not having kids, we tend to go in the fall and late spring. I bet both water parks get swamped with people in the heat of the summer.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I think the areas around the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon are very nice and relaxing. I love the music they play (Beach Boys, etc.) They also have nice cabanas you can get now (although I'm not sure how you reserve/rent them??). I also love the lazy river. It's actually now one of our favorite parks to do mid-trip. After spending every day hauling from one ride to the next by foot, it's nice to say, "What should we do next?" and be able to just jump in the lazy river and float to your desired destination. :D
I am a bit of a confessed tightwad, so the cabanas are out of consideration, but I can get by with some "no extra charge" shade if I can find it. Lately, our trips have focused around the question "What should we do next?" and the answer "Does not matter, we don't have any appointments to keep." Jumping in and floating does sounds like a good plan.

belledream

Thank you. So you think there are plenty of places to find some shade for relaxing and just enjoying the area? One of my concerns was not being able to find a nice spot to just enjoy some shade between floats on the lazy river. Now, mind you, we won't be going in the summer, when I imagine the water parks are really busy. Not having kids, we tend to go in the fall and late spring. I bet both water parks get swamped with people in the heat of the summer.
Definitely. Of course, earlier you get there to claim spots, the better, but Disney knows Florida is hot and they theme it well with umbrellas at BB and natural foliage at TL.

We also went in fall last year, and on a weekday...not very crowded at all.
P1020245.JPG

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Definitely. Of course, earlier you get there to claim spots, the better, but Disney knows Florida is hot and they theme it well with umbrellas at BB and natural foliage at TL.

We also went in fall last year, and on a weekday...not very crowded at all.
View attachment 224819
Oh, that looks beautiful. One of the reasons we have been thinking about this is because it looks so nice and we really liked Discovery Cove. Now, of course Discovery Cove is not a ride based park, but the tropical theme and landscaping is one of the things we liked best about it. Thanks for the photo and for the info about getting there early. That makes sense to score a spot. We have also thought it might be nice to go later in the afternoon, after people have started leaving. It that a good idea or do crowds build throughout the day?

belledream

Oh, that looks beautiful. One of the reasons we have been thinking about this is because it looks so nice and we really liked Discovery Cove. Now, of course Discovery Cove is not a ride based park, but the tropical theme and landscaping is one of the things we liked best about it. Thanks for the photo and for the info about getting there early. That makes sense to score a spot. We have also thought it might be nice to go later in the afternoon, after people have started leaving. It that a good idea or do crowds build throughout the day?
The theme was my favorite part! I love the corny look of snow in Florida, and just wait til you hit TL lazy river. It's more than just a ring around the park for sure!

Crowds are small in the mornings. We walked onto Summit Plummet right away, which later you could see the wait time growing to 30 minutes or so. However, since you're just going to relax and not stand in lines, I don't think rope drop is necessary. ;) Even if you arrive later and can't find the perfect lounging spot, people are always on the move, or you could make one yourself hah.

For reference, we go to BB in the mornings since we consider BB the more slide/line oriented park, eat an early lunch, then head to TL and spend almost double the time there. Not as many lines to wait for, and much more leisuirely wave pool/lounging time.

zurgandfriend

I'm not a waterslide gut either, so in the words of Stacy "Look at all the lazy people." I let my family run around and do the slides, wave pools etc. I like to relax, float, and talk to other rafters.

beertiki

You just described the TL lazy river. Drift, relax, and enjoy the tropical theme and landscaping

nickys

Premium Member
We are contemplating going to both Disney water parks just to hang out, maybe do the lazy rivers, wave pools and lounging in the shade. We have friends who go to the water parks and really enjoy them.
Our thought is since we now spend very little time at the theme parks, and more time enjoying the resorts, that maybe the water parks, even without us doing the slides, might be a nice diversion.
Would you visit the water parks without doing the thrill slides? Any advice for locating quieter areas with shade without renting one of the cabanas?

DS and I went to TL twice just to use the lazy river. He really doesn't do rides at all, Star Tours is the only vaguely thrill type ride he'll do, Pirates is just OK, you get the picture.

We tried the Wave pool, and realised too late how rough the bottom is; at home they have a smooth surface so you can lie down and be carried back. I tried it and ended up with friction burns right down my back - ouch! Luckily he stayed upright.

Anyway we spent a couple hours just floating round. And having ice cream. Good fun.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
DS and I went to TL twice just to use the lazy river. He really doesn't do rides at all, Star Tours is the only vaguely thrill type ride he'll do, Pirates is just OK, you get the picture.

We tried the Wave pool, and realised too late how rough the bottom is; at home they have a smooth surface so you can lie down and be carried back. I tried it and ended up with friction burns right down my back - ouch! Luckily he stayed upright.

Anyway we spent a couple hours just floating round. And having ice cream. Good fun.

Thank you for the wave pool warning. Glad I did not have to find out the hard way.
Floating and ice cream sound like good ideas.

MissingDisney

We have an WP Annual Pass for this exact reason......relax, enjoy the themes/scenery, music, etc. while the kids do the big stuff. I always notice people jump to grab the first spots they see and stake their claim...there are so many places a bit off the path that are much better if you walk and explore some. There's a ton of shaded spots at BB if you like being away from the center point and enjoy lazy river views.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom