Water Park Fun and More Leaving

DisneyDreamer08

You're missing out IMO. The water parks are one of the few areas Disney still does much better than most competition. The wave pool, lazy river, and kid areas are still plenty to keep even the small children occupied. And for a park hopper, its like $30 for the water park, disney quest, and more. When people are paying so much for so little elsewhere in the parks, it's certainly one of the few value priced things around anymore.

That's good to know. I would like to check them out some day. We live in MA and even though we have pool we MAYBE use it 3 months out of the year. So while my oldest (she's 6) likes the water, she's not super comfortable. We went to an amusement park that had a splash section over the summer & I think she spent all of 10 minutes there. So maybe the travel agent who doesn't sell much works out of New England or a similar area where kids just aren't as comfortable at water parks as kids in the south? I don't know :)

ToTBellHop

That's good to know. I would like to check them out some day. We live in MA and even though we have pool we MAYBE use it 3 months out of the year. So while my oldest (she's 6) likes the water, she's not super comfortable. We went to an amusement park that had a splash section over the summer & I think she spent all of 10 minutes there. So maybe the travel agent who doesn't sell much works out of New England or a similar area where kids just aren't as comfortable at water parks as kids in the south? I don't know :)
We live in CT and our almost-4-y.o. twin boys LOVE pools, splash pads, and had a blast at Blizzard Beach in August. But, if they weren't as into it, we obviously would have skipped the water park like you. The resort pools are so nice that I think we will skip the water parks next summer. It's quite a hassle (with bus transfer) and cost to go (over $250 for us all for a few hours). Plus I suspect they will hit 40" by then and have a bunch of new (to them) E-tickets in the parks to fill our time.

Nick Pappagiorgio

You're missing out IMO. The water parks are one of the few areas Disney still does much better than most competition. The wave pool, lazy river, and kid areas are still plenty to keep even the small children occupied. And for a park hopper, its like $30 for the water park, disney quest, and more. When people are paying so much for so little elsewhere in the parks, it's certainly one of the few value priced things around anymore.

Curious your thinking on that. I would have said the opposite. My local regional park doesn't have any anything close to PoC, Splash, but they have decent waterslides. I grant you the theming isn't on the same, but there are a lot of really good waterparks out there. I'm not arguing I want to understand your reasoning.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Curious your thinking on that. I would have said the opposite. My local regional park doesn't have any anything close to PoC, Splash, but they have decent waterslides. I grant you the theming isn't on the same, but there are a lot of really good waterparks out there. I'm not arguing I want to understand your reasoning.

The water parks are more than just waterslides... just like Splash is more than a log flume ride. From the landscaping at TL... the sand beach... the small details like the water sprinklers to cool hot concrete.. to the visual integration of the attractions into the setting.. You can see how Disney sets themselves apart.

Literally when I started going to the parks again after about a 12yr break... the theme parks and hotels felt tired and 're-runs'. The rest of the world had caught up to Disney.. Disney wasn't so far ahead of the pack as they had been in the 80s and early 90s. But the water parks still felt like an experience very uniquely Disney and unlike the competition.

Nubs70

I see this development as a means to decouple the waterparks from the theme parks. Water parks will now reside in their own fiscal silo.

21stamps

We live in CT and our almost-4-y.o. twin boys LOVE pools, splash pads, and had a blast at Blizzard Beach in August. But, if they weren't as into it, we obviously would have skipped the water park like you. The resort pools are so nice that I think we will skip the water parks next summer. It's quite a hassle (with bus transfer) and cost to go (over $250 for us all for a few hours). Plus I suspect they will hit 40" by then and have a bunch of new (to them) E-tickets in the parks to fill our time.

I think that's why we don't do them. The pools, slides, and splash areas are so fun at the resort. Not exaggerating- I think my kid goes down the slide well over 100 times. It's easier to just spend a relaxing day close to our room rather than heading to one of the water parks.

GenerationX

We get this option on every trip. On our last trip, I had a "free" day planned for the last day with no chosen park. My idea was that if we missed something due to weather or whatever, we could circle back on that last day. Nothing went wrong and we went to every main park and water park on the previous days, so it turned out to be a free day, after all.

Out of the 5 of us (at the time, my wife and I were mid-40s and the boys were 12, 14, and 16), the #1 or #2 choice of ALL of us for the free day was Typhoon Lagoon. The water parks are both so impeccably themed and entertaining that we always found the Water Park & More option to be a steal. We're big DQ fans, too, so we hit that once on every trip.

I understand the separation from the main parks and suspect they'll now have their own multi-day pricing, which will be more than when they were add-ons. Also, with DQ eventually closing (though I hope it makes it through next June for one more trip), the "& More" part of the option is pretty slim.

Jon81uk

When they remove the water park option from the UK Ultimate tickets then maybe.....

And that isn't going to happen I think. Advertising as having six parks is another way to try and put people off from doing SeaWorld as one day of their trip. The more people think Disney offer the less chance of guests visiting other FL parks to fill the holiday. Although we fitted ten parks different into our two week trip plus shopping.

ToTBellHop

I think that's why we don't do them. The pools, slides, and splash areas are so fun at the resort. Not exaggerating- I think my kid goes down the slide well over 100 times. It's easier to just spend a relaxing day close to our room rather than heading to one of the water parks.
Year, our kids could spend the whole day at the Wilderness Losge or Kidani splash pad. I'm sure they'll feel differently when they're 14, but for now, it's more than enough, and it's so much more convenient to get dressed in our room, hop down, and come back up after. It's not very magical waiting for a bus transfer at DAK or DS after a day at a water park.

Next Big Thing

I see this development as a means to decouple the waterparks from the theme parks. Water parks will now reside in their own fiscal silo.
Or maybe Disney will follow suit with Universal now and decide to count their Water Parks as theme parks and, like Universal is advertising Volcano Bay as their Third Park, they could try and say that they have 6 Parks. Which is technically true but also misleading on both ends.

Of course this is just me wildly speculating and while I don't think it will happen, it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing surprises me with Disney anymore.

Jon81uk

Or maybe Disney will follow suit with Universal now and decide to count their Water Parks as theme parks and, like Universal is advertising Volcano Bay as their Third Park, they could try and say that they have 6 Parks. Which is technically true but also misleading on both ends.

Of course this is just me wildly speculating and while I don't think it will happen, it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing surprises me with Disney anymore.

The UK advertising already sells Disney as have six parks. But then the UK tickets cover unlimited park-hopping entry to all six.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Year, our kids could spend the whole day at the Wilderness Losge or Kidani splash pad. I'm sure they'll feel differently when they're 14, but for now, it's more than enough, and it's so much more convenient to get dressed in our room, hop down, and come back up after. It's not very magical waiting for a bus transfer at DAK or DS after a day at a water park.

Not even 14... think like age 8. As for the bus transfers... I'll let the people that insist there is nothing wrong with the bus system defend that one ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Oh great, now you jinxed it - Admission for the water parks is probably going to skyrocket now that you mentioned it's a good value!! ;)

ToTBellHop

Not even 14... think like age 8. As for the bus transfers... I'll let the people that insist there is nothing wrong with the bus system defend that one ;)
Having done it first hand, those transfers are a p in the a. Perhaps a single bus from each resort the goes to both WPs would better align with demand.

Minnesota disney fan

Not by itself, no. In addition to USO and IoA, yes. A family could easily spend a week at UO now doing each park twice. Or do 3 days at UO and 3 days at WDW (MK+2 other parks). ETA: UO is offering 3-day ticket packages that start June 1, 2017.

It's because of the crowds. The dynamic pricing that was introduced is designed to profit max during peak season (June-July) as well as distribute the crowds better throughout the year. The other way that they can distribute the crowds throughout the parks is using price differentiation per park, eg MK > AK>Epcot>DHS. (Putting AK before Epcot because of upcoming additions like RoL and Pandora).

In 2012, a 4-day ticket was $256, with an avg per day of $64.
In 2013, a 4-day ticket was $279, with an avg per day of $69.75
In 2014?
In 2015, a 4-day ticket was $305, with an avg per day of $76.25.
In 2016, a 4-day ticket is $346, with an avg per day of $86.53.
A guest has to purchase the 5-day ticket in 2016 ($362.10) in order to get <$75/day 'value'; $75 appears to be a 'tipping point' in how they structure their pricing. (A 3-day ticket avg per day has been $80+ since 2012). They are trying to encourage longer stays, but from their pricing it looks like the WDW 3-4 day has become the trend. You are right that they front-loaded shorter stays already - a 2016 3-day is $308.85, with an avg per day of $102.95, which is close to the 2015 1-day base ticket of $105.
As far as the Water Park Fun & More option going away, with a 2016 add-on of $68, guests may not be seeing the value in it since it approaches the avg per day price on 5+-day regular theme park tickets. It's too close to that $75 tipping point.

I think you are right on about this. I know that we are increasing our trip to Universal to an overnite stay now with 2 days. I can see in the future that we will stay there much longer, as their hotels are really much nicer. I think split stays between the two theme parks is a thing in the future. If they start this new pricing, I can also see us staying at a condo and going to WDW only a few days. Things are changing.

SorcererMC

I think you are right on about this. I know that we are increasing our trip to Universal to an overnite stay now with 2 days. I can see in the future that we will stay there much longer, as their hotels are really much nicer. I think split stays between the two theme parks is a thing in the future. If they start this new pricing, I can also see us staying at a condo and going to WDW only a few days. Things are changing.

The price signaling of the dynamic pricing model suggests that it is happening already (maybe the trend started on a small-scale in 2015?).

I had forgotten about the limited time 4-day Magic ticket announced in November, for $279 with an avg $69.75 per day, which is below that $75 inflection point (and likely a response to UO's 4-day hotel package offer for similar dates) and vs. the usual MYW of $81.25.

And I also need to point out from the post you quoted that I was using an aggregate table of MYW prices from this site that didn't account for the $64 add-on ticket option that Disney is doing (which is the same price as 2015). So it's interesting to me that they didn't bump those prices up but kept it; a perceived 'win' for the consumer that the price stayed the same. I would expect that they will increase it by $7-10 in the spring because they don't want a low price to suggest their water parks are 'less than' in quality, and then adjust it to the number of days or how far in advance the tickets are purchased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom