Watching movies..

tissandtully

Original Poster
Can anyone describe the environment when watching movies on the ships in the theater? Is it more active than a normal theater or are all the same types of etiquette followed? Thanks!

tissandtully

Original Poster
Same types of etiquette. We've been around some guests who talked to much, or let their kids talk to much, but that happens in normal theaters these days too! But really it should be the same type. :)
Thanks! My mother-in-law really wants to see Saving Mr. Banks, figured we'd catch it for 'free' on the ship, since it looks like it will be playing, but she was worried about it being too noisy. I think I read somewhere there's fresh popcorn available now? What was there before?

sweetpee_1993

Thanks! My mother-in-law really wants to see Saving Mr. Banks, figured we'd catch it for 'free' on the ship, since it looks like it will be playing, but she was worried about it being too noisy. I think I read somewhere there's fresh popcorn available now? What was there before?
Unless there's a new offering, snacks outside the theater are a for-charge item. All popcorn and things were prepackaged. I mentioned to my husband once that it wouldn't cost DCL that much to offer fresh popcorn at the door complimentary but he shot me down with: "Babe, its a ship. Popcorn poppers are heat & oil. Unless they create a fire-safe mini-kitchen outside the theater to pop popcorn, I highly doubt it would happen." I guess. Geez, get a microwave! LOL!

Personally, I'd slap somebody if they stopped selling the choc covered caramel corn. That's my munch! I generally buy a bag every other show we see and stretch it for 2 shows. I have no idea how much it costs. I ask for it & the old man pays for it. LOL!

Another idea is to order some crispy treats from room service and take some of those to the theater with you.

Oh! Bring the movie-theater-ish boxed candies onboard with you! I think they sell those at both Walmart & Target! It's an idea!

One of my teen sons had a little "arrangement" with a CM working the snack stand outside the theater on one of our cruises. He brought the CM plates of chicken tenders and the CM supplied the kid with canned sodas. My son said he was like Mr.Smooth when he brought a "date" to the movie once. And the CM friend hooked him up. LOL!

Of all the cruises we've done DH and I have only seen 1 movie in the theater. We saw Planes in 3D on our last DCL voyage. We never took the time before which we now kinda regret. Since our last DCL cruise we sailed RCI's Allure of the Seas and sorely missed the option of going to a movie. Yep, a ship that big and no movie theater. With all the inclement weather we had a movie would've been a fantastic option.

We sat all the way top/center when we saw Planes. Seemed most kiddies sat much lower, closer to the screen. Also, if you want to avoid junior interruptions maybe consider late or early shows. They'll do movies continually every day!

Phonedave

There seems to be, at least to me, more people getting up and leaving early or comming in late than in a normal theater. I suspect that is because other activities may overlap, and paople may watch half of a movie, do an acitivity, and then watch the end at a later time. Other than that, I did not find it any noiser than an regualr movie theater.

-dave

rick3236

Phonedave is right. I noticed that too.

We have seen the Avengers, Iron Man 3, Wreck it Ralph and saw the "Premear" of Lincoln on the ship, and enjoyed every single one. It was no noisier than a normal movie theater and, I even felt more comfortable than at an on land theater. I guess wearing a shorts and flip flops to the movie will do that. Ricky

kimrn87

How long do they play the movies, for example: If Saving Mr. BAnks is out now how long will it keep playing on the ship?

ChuckElias

Unless there's a new offering, snacks outside the theater are a for-charge item. All popcorn and things were prepackaged. I mentioned to my husband once that it wouldn't cost DCL that much to offer fresh popcorn at the door complimentary but he shot me down with: "Babe, its a ship. Popcorn poppers are heat & oil. Unless they create a fire-safe mini-kitchen outside the theater to pop popcorn, I highly doubt it would happen."
On our recent Princess cruise, they offered freshly popped popcorn for free every night before the "Movie Under the Stars" (movies shown on the their "Funnel Vision"). It's now one of the few things that actually angers me about DCL that they charge $3.50 for a bag of popcorn. There's just no reason for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom